Windows 10: General Comments/Positives/Gripes etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Everyone

Been running Windows 10 for the past two days, and besides two very slight tweaks, I'm very happy with it. Miles better than Windows 8.1 (which I was a fan of).

Anyone else running Windows 10? And if so, how's your experience been so far? Anything you've tweaked/changed? Or anything you wish you could change to make it just that tiny bit better?

So far for me, I've reduced the Cortana search bar to an icon, and changed the login screen to a solid colour. That's really about it. Super pleased.

Windows 10 is the bomb. In love with it.

I also even like Microsoft Edge, despite people lol'ing at it. Think it's very robust and has a lot of good features. Definitely miles ahead in advancement from Internet Explorer.

Also had zero problems downloading and installing it. Took me total 45 mins. As I've said elsewhere, my computer was free of cluttered drivers etc, so the install went swiftly.

Also, has many behind the scenes functions that are nice. Like, in-built support for .mkv files etc. All that kind of stuff.

The ONLY thing I wish W10 had, which I've given feedback to, is that I've always hated the Windows Task Bar. Would be so much better if the whole 'task bar' thing was a pop out frame you can open by clicking the bottom left of the screen.....like you can do with the bottom right to reveal the desktop. Like how you click the Notifications button and a window slides in from the right...that's what the 'task bar' should evolve to.

My new machine has a clean Win10 install on it. Its never had any other OS, I put the Insider preview on it as soon as it was functional.
Apart from a graphics card driver issue at first in the preview version, and there being no compatible driver for the old wireless USB dongle (no wireless on board the motherboard), everything has been fine for me.
A few things needed to be reinstalled going from the Insider version to the retail version, but there nothing major involved there. That was, in part, because I put most things on my D drive knowing I would be upgrading or re-installing not long after putting the preview version on.
Edge seems OK, but I'm using Chrome.

Is anyone able to access the windows 10 app store atm.

all day it hasn't been working for me.

all i keep getting is a blue screen with it trying to load.

Upgrade went really smoothly. Didnt lose any data and all applications I've tested went smoothly.

I was going to use Windows 10 as an excuse to get an SSD C:\ and do a clean install. Since it went so smoothly I cant be bothered :)

okay, apparently had an update there which was probably causing the problems with the app store.

Any decent FREE apps we should be getting?

Once I got the upgrade working properly it's been fine, my biggest gripes with Windows 8.x were the tablet/touchscreen orientated features that found their way onto our desktops for the sake of uniformity across platforms, and they all seem to have been scraped (or at least hidden)

Pretty sure Microsoft has more money then our current government.

Actually I was just talking s**t, TradeDraft seems to think most internet related things are a government conspiracy ;)

There's a few questionable things in Windows 10 but nothing malicious, and everything can be disabled. Windows Update is set up to both send and receive updates via peer-to-peer if required, so I'd recommend disabling all that. There's also lots of "send your info to Microsoft to make life better" type options, some people get a little paranoid about this kind of stuff, but most of it is anonymous data and it's the same kind of thing you'd experience in real life every day without even knowing it.

It's slippery smooth and should get even better with updates

Only gripe is far less access makes it harder to tweak but I'm sure the propeller heads will work it out soon enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only gripe is far less access makes it harder to tweak

What do you mean by this?
Would it be to soon to say that Windows 10 is the best version so far? Absolutely loving it. Even more than I did 7 or 8.1
Uptake is on par with Windows 7 which, given W10 is free and I paid ~$400 for W7 Ultimate, isn't that great.

So far I like it. I did go to privacy settings first and disabled a lot of there "let us improve W10 by spying on your s**t" stuff.

So far have been happy. Did notice one alarming thing. I was playing a game and noticed all off a sudden my fps drop to like 5 fps and the program start to chug...I was like WTF ? I have a gaming rig and have played this game for a good 400 hours with zero issue with W7. Anyway, went to taskmaster and noticed my system was using 99% of my ram!

It was windows update. So I turn my system off, the update finishes and the system restarts and its all good. Bloody scared the s**t out of me for awhile

So far I like it. I did go to privacy settings first and disabled a lot of there "let us improve W10 by spying on your s**t" stuff.

So far have been happy. Did notice one alarming thing. I was playing a game and noticed all off a sudden my fps drop to like 5 fps and the program start to chug...I was like WTF ? I have a gaming rig and have played this game for a good 400 hours with zero issue with W7. Anyway, went to taskmaster and noticed my system was using 99% of my ram!

It was windows update. So I turn my system off, the update finishes and the system restarts and its all good. Bloody scared the s**t out of me for awhile
I'm still having RAM issues, 70% with Google Chrome running (2 tabs open) and nothing else as we speak... 4 GB of RAM of this lappy, is this normal for people?

I'm still having RAM issues, 70% with Google Chrome running (2 tabs open) and nothing else as we speak... 4 GB of RAM of this lappy, is this normal for people?

I'd say its more a chrome issue. Chrome on my mobile can hit 500-600MB ram usage.

Give firefox a go

I'd say its more a chrome issue. Chrome on my mobile can hit 500-600MB ram usage.

Give firefox a go
Yea mate seems you are right, installed firefox and noticed about a 10% drop in RAM use straight off then i totally uninstalled Chrome did a bit of a general cleanup rebooted & now it's dropped about 20%... I'm pleased I never noticed how much of a memory hog Chrome was before.

Add another to the love windows 10 club. Everything seems to be running alot smoother than it seemed to be on 8.1 for me too. Been using the search bar and have installed a chrome add on to prevent it from going to bloody bing redicrecting it to Google.

Xbox One Streaming = Awesome

I'm still on Win7 for the moment. I have heard that under Win10 updates to drivers, including graphics card, are made automatically. I do not like the sound of that. Is it true?

I'm still on Win7 for the moment. I have heard that under Win10 updates to drivers, including graphics card, are made automatically. I do not like the sound of that. Is it true?

I'm pretty sure it'll only automatically update drivers if you're using the built in ones and they release a newer version, from what I've seen it won't see your nvidia/ATI video drivers and go "PFFT mine are better" and overwrite them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back