1. Love your trade? Show us how to be crowned Home Timber & Hardware Tradie of The Year and WIN a Holden Colorado. Enter at homehardware.com.au

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Player Unknown's Battlegrounds Forum Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

Windows 10: General Comments/Positives/Gripes etc

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by matty6, Aug 8, 2015.

Put it out there
  1. dav3

dav3 Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I'm aware all is good now, just an idea for the future ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Satan

Satan Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Melbourne
    Appreciate advice

3. Moonwatcher

Moonwatcher Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    What OS do you use?

4. imperial_oz

imperial_oz Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle, Liverpool
    Currently, Mint 18.1 KDE

5. Moonwatcher

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I use a Mac laptop and Windows 10 desktop. I tried mint on Virtualbox but wasn't willing to move away from Ubuntu as my Linux distro. Why did you choose mint?

6. imperial_oz

imperial_oz Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle, Liverpool
    I prefer KDE. Really dislike Unity, which is why I moved from Ubuntu to Mint. Mate is ok but KDE gives me the environment I like. Plasma 5, while not fully mature yet is pretty handy.

I use Windows at work (all kinds) as well as Mac but Linux gives me far more choice and capability. Only keep Windows at home because I've got too much invested in iTunes....having once had an iPhone. Other than that, I haven't needed Windows in years...not since XP

Moonwatcher likes this.
  7. Ron The Bear

Ron The Bear Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Have spent most of the morning attempting to install the Windows 10 Creators Update, consistently running into a brick wall at 32%. Others are reporting repeated failure at this point. Microsoft - use your telemetry data and fix it.

8. HawkMongrel

HawkMongrel Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    MVFC, Aston Villa
    Be patient. Wait a week. You know how this works, let others download it first, have MS fix all the first teething issues, and then make a move yourself.

9. Ron The Bear

Ron The Bear Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Too late. Tried MS support, they tweaked, they twiddled, they downloaded and installed fixes and then tried the update again. Result = broken OS and vanished restore points -> rebuild, on a machine that was rock solid stable for six months.

I now understand why some people set Windows Update to 'defer'. I hadn't personally experienced problems with W10 updates, except for a common HP printer driver issue and overwritten settings/preferences. However I woke this morning to a large blue pop-up informing me that Creators Update was ready to install. Knew it was coming and thought, let's get it out of the way.

If I bump into anyone claiming to work for Microsoft in the next week, they're in strife. I'll sleep on whether to have another go at Windows 10 or go back to Windows 7, a good OS (eventually).

Be very wary installing this thing if you're happy with your system as is. The 32% problem appears to affect W10 Pro users rather than Home.

10. Moonwatcher

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Mine updated smoothly. I'm liking the Night light setting where you filter a lot of the blue light that keeps the brain active.

11. dumb

dumb i shit blue

Carlton
    Other teams:
    had it just over a year on a new pc. straight away got rid of cortana, edge. would like to completely get rid of the sign in screen on startup but apart from that, the only real issues i tend to have is compatability (often 3rd party things, sorting out fixes for games that liked to use games for windows live).

AcresToMcCartin likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. dav3

dav3 Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
  13. dumb

dumb i shit blue

Carlton
    Other teams:
  14. GreyCrow

GreyCrow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
    Been having problems for the last week, coincidentally just after a Windows update. Very slow, even stopped for 24 hours. Lost ipv4 and 6 connectivity. Have ipv4 back but still no 6. Still very slow and basic access. ie takes me back to 33mbs days when photos take a minute to load and youtube fuggedaboudit.

Am interested in how to ship off Cortana. But also are my issues down to the new updates or??

15. ep2006

ep2006 BigFooty Pessimist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    There is an option in group policy to turn of Cortana. It was the very first thing I did after upgrading from windows 7.