Windows 11

Remove this Banner Ad

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What I am concerned about is the fact that Microsoft requires a Microsoft Account in Windows 11. Quite troubling if I am honest.
I'm not entirely sure how it's "troubling", it's part of (amongst other things) a security uplift. It opens up the potential for online account recovery, MFA, etc, along with the possibility of a number of other functions from Defender that Enterprise environments have starting using being accessible by the public.

Microsoft are doing some really cool stuff behind the scenes that most people aren't seeing, hopefully some of these things become something home users can get their hands on.

kickazz

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
And what do folks mean by the change to the windows key?

I use it all the time to launch applications or open files simply by typing their names. How has this changed? FWIW Cortana shat me big time and can * right off

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And what do folks mean by the change to the windows key?

I use it all the time to launch applications or open files simply by typing their names. How has this changed? FWIW Cortana shat me big time and can fu** right off
NFI, haven't heard/seen anything about them changing anything there. It might have been a release-day bug that has since been sorted out.

raptalia

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I finally did the inevitable move. I upgraded my system and had Windows 11 installed. To get Windows 11 I needed a new processor which of course meant replacing the mainboard, RAM etc.

As for Cortana, it is a personal preference but I switched it off in Windows 10 and never missed it, I will do the same in windows 11. It can be invasive as it activates on start up and can log your action across the web.

pensivezero

Rookie
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I run OpenSUSE now full time; studying Computer Science it's still more popular than showing up with a Mac to class :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not entirely sure how it's "troubling", it's part of (amongst other things) a security uplift. It opens up the potential for online account recovery, MFA, etc, along with the possibility of a number of other functions from Defender that Enterprise environments have starting using being accessible by the public.

Microsoft are doing some really cool stuff behind the scenes that most people aren't seeing, hopefully some of these things become something home users can get their hands on.
Looks like the Defender for Individuals stuff was just launched, which is part of the reason Microsoft want people on registered online accounts.

raptalia

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Since installing Windows 11 I have had to switch off one or two of Microsoft's insidious cash grabs. As an example I switched off the 'Offer suggestions on how I can set up my device' option in the Start Up menu. Every 3 days Microsoft wanted to give me the opportunity to link with Office 360 which of course means paying them an annual fee for MS Office which I had already purchased outright. The switch off is easy enough to do but it is a nuisance having to do it and I am left wondering what other pesky pop ups are going to appear.

I hate the idea of Microsoft setting my system up with the features they want me to have. As Old Blue Eyes once sang, I much prefer to do it my way.

Remove this Banner Ad