Windows 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like a natural progression from Win10 - nice clean UI and faster loading/navigation. I'll make a lot of use of the new snap layouts/snap groups as I frequently move between teaching/marking/developing multiple times a day.

I've gotten used to Teams for work but not keen on having Teams built into the OS. I'll definitely be disabling that on my personal PC.

TPM and CPU requirements are strangely restrictive for MS - only supporting 8th Gen and up CPUs and seemingly abandoning hardware that is only a few years old.

Microsoft Store changes, PWA suppport, Android Subsystem - along with the changes they have made with WSL2, VSCode, Windows Terminal and Windows Package Manager (winget) - seems like MS is going hard after the developer market as well.

Also that launch presentation video was miserable. Have we forgotten how to do a proper OS launch?

Seems like a natural progression from Win10 - nice clean UI and faster loading/navigation. I'll make a lot of use of the new snap layouts/snap groups as I frequently move between teaching/marking/developing multiple times a day.

I've gotten used to Teams for work but not keen on having Teams built into the OS. I'll definitely be disabling that on my personal PC.

TPM and CPU requirements are strangely restrictive for MS - only supporting 8th Gen and up CPUs and seemingly abandoning hardware that is only a few years old.

Microsoft Store changes, PWA suppport, Android Subsystem - along with the changes they have made with WSL2, VSCode, Windows Terminal and Windows Package Manager (winget) - seems like MS is going hard after the developer market as well.

Also that launch presentation video was miserable. Have we forgotten how to do a proper OS launch?

I imagine they're pushing Teams as the Skype replacement, and perhaps as an alternative to Facebook for chat/call functions. I'll probably need to keep it on my home PC, Teams doesn't play well when I'm on my work VPN.

TPM 2.0 has been around for ages so that shouldn't be overly restrictive, but if they want a 10 year lifecycle on these OSes they probably have to set the bar a little higher with CPU specs to keep it as current as possible. Windows 10 support ends in 2025, if your hardware isn't up to scratch you should be able to stay on that for a little while without too many issues.

Downloaded and installed Windows 11 last night (beta version nearly complete being a Windows Insider subscriber).

Very very nice :heart:

But if you're used to the old Windows 10 taskbar, you'll be :( with W11's. Can't move it to top or right/left and can't unlock or make small/large icons. But...probably a godsend, my W10 taskbar was cluttered with pinned apps I didn't need pinned or need at all. The new Windows button interface allows you to store all those apps for handy access anyway.

PC updating every night with new W11 updates, so there'll be a lot of stuff coming, improvements and tweaks, the final version still late 2021 or early 2022 away. But a clear 👍 from me. So many general improvements, streamlined, sexier looking, etc.

After 20+ years of exclusive PC use, never owning a iPhone or iTunes or giving apple a cent.

Windows 11 came, I installed it for a week which finally convinced me to buy a Mac Book Pro.

The telementry, the adware, teams integretation, Edge being shoved down our thoats, the rush of an OS which still has 5 design languages and 3 decades worth of patches and two control panels still, as well as the fact it has completely broken colour management....Yeah nah, no thanks MS.

After 20+ years of exclusive PC use, never owning a iPhone or iTunes or giving apple a cent.

Windows 11 came, I installed it for a week which finally convinced me to buy a Mac Book Pro.

The telementry, the adware, teams integretation, Edge being shoved down our thoats, the rush of an OS which still has 5 design languages and 3 decades worth of patches and two control panels still, as well as the fact it has completely broken colour management....Yeah nah, no thanks MS.
Apple shove their own products down our throats in their OS, iOS, and arent as customizable or developer friendly. People say Linux is better than them all, but ive never tried.

Apple shove their own products down our throats in their OS, iOS, and arent as customizable or developer friendly. People say Linux is better than them all, but ive never tried.

This is true, but at least Apple (tends) to usually have a plan and is predictable with where they are going. You pay for being in the ecosystem. Windows was supposed to be the opposite, now it's turning into something where MS is trying their best to lock people into Teams, MS accounts etc...

MS is constantly changing products, dropping products faster than Google, because IMO they don't know what they want to be. They are lost.
You can just see W11 is a straight copy off Mac OS but it is completely unfinished with major bugs like colour management broken for creatives.

MS failed with their phones to to take on Android and iOS, now they are going to take on everyone with Teams (which is s**t) and Edge (which is a s**t version of Chrome) as a services company.

They should have just stuck with creating a good OS.

My two cents.

Linux is s**t.

I used it extensively (Ubuntu) in 2006, tried it the other week and in almost 20 years bugger all has changed really. Same old issues, I had scour the ******* internet to get hardware acceleration working in a VM with ******* console commands from some forum post some guy wrote all for a mainstream Dell Laptop to work. Then none of the apps I wanted to use worked with some obscure error message from the app store. This is Linux life....

I hate the pretentiousness of Apple. The smugness can be worse than Tesla drivers, however their products are confident, polished, unified and no real chance of being forced with an adware bloated OS with very concerning telementary changes and privacy concerns in the OS like the sudden announcement of W11...

Windows 11 (aka Windows 10.1) was the last straw for me as it is a rushed OS on the back of them saying Windows 10 was going to be the last OS.

/rant

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is true, but at least Apple (tends) to usually have a plan and is predictable with where they are going. You pay for being in the ecosystem. Windows was supposed to be the opposite, now it's turning into something where MS is trying their best to lock people into Teams, MS accounts etc...

MS is constantly changing products, dropping products faster than Google, because IMO they don't know what they want to be. They are lost.
You can just see W11 is a straight copy off Mac OS but it is completely unfinished with major bugs like colour management broken for creatives.

MS failed with their phones to to take on Android and iOS, now they are going to take on everyone with Teams (which is sh*t) and Edge (which is a sh*t version of Chrome) as a services company.

My two cents.

Linux is sh*t.

I used it extensively (Ubuntu) in 2006, tried it the other week and in almost 20 years bugger all has changed really. Same old issues, I had scour the ******* internet to get hardware acceleration working in a VM with ******* console commands from some forum post some guy wrote all for a mainstream Dell Laptop to work. Then none of the apps I wanted to use worked with some obscure error message from the app store. This is Linux life....

I hate the pretentiousness of Apple. The smugness can be worse than Tesla drivers, however their products are confident, polished, unified and no real chance of being forced with an adware bloated OS with very concerning telementary changes and privacy concerns in the OS like the sudden announcement of W11...

Windows 11 (aka Windows 10.1) was the last straw for me as it is a rushed OS on the back of them saying Windows 10 was going to be the last OS.

/rant
A lot of what you say here is undeniably spot on. Also many companies have tried to, or have, straight up copied a lot of ingenuity that Apple incorporated into their phones and OS. Google did it to MS, MS did it to Google and Apple. Even in console gaming....Nintendo, Sega, Sony all copied each other, and in turn MS copied them, etc. Round and round.

In a way it is good and understandable, that companies would follow the lead of other successful products and companies. Cutthroat world of market share and billions of dollars. And the consumer can be made happy by that when they often bemoan how certain great ideas don't exist on platforms or devices that they own/prefer and wish those companies would have similar ideas.

Anyway, you're not wrong at all. But, I do still love W11 because of that....it keeps trying to be "more like apple OS" and thats a good thing. Find its much nicer than W10 for that reason. Certain few annoying things about it taken out of W10, but not a deal-breaker. And things like shoving stuff down your throat....you still have the options in W11 to use other apps or products as your defaults, not the MS ones.

I hope you do give W11 more time before entirely dumping it. Bugs etc will be ironed out, product hasnt even officially released yet. We're early adopters.

I owned Mac for a decade prior to about 2010. I enjoyed it, but also found it lacking and a little weak in ways too.

People get too invested in operating systems.

Undoubtedly so! I couldn't care less what others are using.

For me Windows WAS great, when it was in the background. Since the last few years, Windows is heading to a trend of where it becoming concerning in regards to Privacy (among other things like the removal of local accounts for some flavours of Windows). Never liked seeing Candy Crush preinstalled on my start menu after upgrading from 7....

IMO of course.

It's just there's a reason why W11 is free...a reason why Teams is preinstalled etc...it's just a shame as Windows used to be the anti apple approach of not being vendor locked.

As such I think people should be invested in the OS they choose, especially in regards to privacy.

I'd switch to some sort of linux flavour if I didn't need to game or use Windows apps.
Sounds like Win 11 will need some registry editing to get it "usable" or wait until people release easy fixes for it.

MS failed with their phones to to take on Android and iOS, now they are going to take on everyone with Teams (which is sh*t) and Edge (which is a sh*t version of Chrome) as a services company.

My two cents.

Linux is sh*t.

/rant
They're not trying to "lock people into things" per say, Teams is their universal Skype replacement for chat and collaboration that can be easily disabled, online MS accounts is a security uplift for when they bring in MFA.

Most major software/OS's have issues on release, it's nothing new and nothing that will probably ever change, this is why enterprise never jumps on something like a Windows release until much later on.

I'm not sure I'd call their push into mobiles a fail, they were up against it competing with the long established big two. It was always going to be tough to break into the market, you literally just demonstrated the attitude they were up against with your Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux is s**t argument. Teams is fine, it's an all round app designed for enterprise with chat features from Skype, and it's constantly being improved. In the current WFH environment they're putting some serious time into developing it with a lot of updates in the timeline. As for Edge it's fine now, it's Chrome's engine with a Microsoft frontend, as a browser it's functionally fine it's just a question of whether Google's tracking is part of that engine.

Linux is Linux, it's a server OS they threw a GUI on, it's not for beginners but unfortunately cheapskates are attracted to it because it's free and then get in over their heads a little.

Apple OS's are polished and clean because they're simple and limited, it's certainly good for a lot of people particularly the typical home user who can make a real mess of things quite easily if they tinker, but it's not for everyone. The argument that MS is trying to "lock people in" while trying to justify the much more insular Apple environment is odd, and they have their own privacy concerns that you cannot opt out of, at least with MS you can turn a lot of it off. Outrage over tracking possibilities is also something that's one of these things that are quickly forgotten, I remember people were mad that Intel started adding unique identifiers to their CPUs, it's still there AFAIK and no one cares.

If Win11 is the last straw then good luck to you, if you're one of the "creatives" you mentioned I'm sure you'll be in your element on a Mac, but some of your rants about MS are are little inaccurate. I'll paste a bit of this article from 2015 about the path Windows is going down.......
"Right now we’re releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we’re all still working on Windows 10." That was the message from Microsoft employee Jerry Nixon, a developer evangelist speaking at the company's Ignite conference this week. Nixon was explaining how Microsoft was launching Windows 8.1 last year, but in the background it was developing Windows 10. Now, Microsoft employees can talk freely about future updates to Windows 10 because there's no secret update in the works coming next. It's all just Windows 10. While it immediately sounds like Microsoft is killing off Windows and not doing future versions, the reality is a little more complex. The future is "Windows as a service."

Microsoft has been discussing the idea of Windows as a service, but the company hasn't really explained exactly how that will play out with future versions of Windows. That might be because there won't really be any future major versions of Windows in the foreseeable future. Microsoft has altered the way it engineers and delivers Windows, and the initial result is Windows 10. Instead of big releases, there will be regular improvements and updates. Part of this is achieved by splitting up operating system components like the Start Menu and built-in apps to be separate parts that can be updated independently to the entire Windows core operating system. It's a big undertaking, but it's something Microsoft has been actively working on for Windows 10 to ensure it spans across multiple device types.

Last edited:
They're not trying to "lock people into things" per say, Teams is their universal Skype replacement for chat and collaboration that can be easily disabled, online MS accounts is a security uplift for when they bring in MFA.

Yes, it's preinstalled into the core of the OS. Like Cortana.....pretty simple mate - that's vendor lock. As is the multiple anti-trust issues for the Edge behaviour.
Have you even seen they're making it more difficult to change default apps in W11? No. OneDrive being built into File Explorer? Bing?

Most major software/OS's have issues on release, it's nothing new and nothing that will probably ever change, this is why enterprise never jumps on something like a Windows release until much later on.

Not this bad. It was rushed before xmas so the oem's could sell their new machines before xmas.

I'm not sure I'd call their push into mobiles a fail,

LOL...not going to bother replying after this one. This says it all.

The argument that MS is trying to "lock people in" while trying to justify the much more insular Apple environment is odd,

No, EVERYONE that buys an Apple KNOWS they're buying into the ecosystem. It's completely different set of apples, your argument. MS was supposed to be open but it's slowly being vendor locked with preinstalls of things like Teams, One Drive built into the OS. Your blind mate or a fanboy.

but some of your rants about MS are are little inaccurate.

Can't help the blind...

Yes, it's preinstalled into the core of the OS. Like Cortana.....pretty simple mate - that's vendor lock. As is the multiple anti-trust issues for the Edge behaviour.
Have you even seen they're making it more difficult to change default apps in W11? No. OneDrive being built into File Explorer? Bing?
"Lock" denotes the inability to change/remove something. I just installed Firefox on my Win11 test machine, it asked to be made default, I hit yes and watched everything .htm, .html, http, and https get associated to the browser. If by anti-trust you mean the whole microsoft-edge URI scheme thing, browsers are able to bypass this fine themselves. Yes there are now extra options within settings for specific file types but it's hardly a big deal. If you've concerned about OneDrive being visible in file explorer you're not going to be too happy about iCloud Drive appearing on Macs in the same way. Yes Cortana is baked in (weird that you're not ranting about that one), the others are just preinstalled.

Not this bad. It was rushed before xmas so the oem's could sell their new machines before xmas.
The current "issues" aren't showstoppers, hysterics and offended is just the in thing these days. Windows 10 had a massive patch released very early on to resolve a heap of issues, others have an similar. At this point this is not a Win8/Vista level fail.

LOL...not going to bother replying after this one. This says it all.
Cool :thumbsu:

No, EVERYONE that buys an Apple KNOWS they're buying into the ecosystem. It's completely different set of apples, your argument. MS was supposed to be open but it's slowly being vendor locked with preinstalls of things like Teams, One Drive built into the OS. Your blind mate or a fanboy.
I'm not sure you quite understand the definition of "locked", I just hit uninstall on both Teams and OneDrive and it did it without complaint and OneDrive no longer appears in File Explorer, Microsoft isn't stopping you from doing anything.

I'm neither, I'm just someone who has actually worked in the industry for 20 odd years and has a bit of an idea what I'm talking about. I also try not to get caught up in random hysterics about small "issues" that get snowballed by clueless lemmings. It also helps that I get to sit in on some regular Microsoft O365/Tech updates and get a bit of an idea of the direction they're heading. These days everything is about Cloud and security, MS essentially wants to go passwordless, hence the online account stuff. The groundwork is already being laid in enterprise through Azure features, they want to push it for personal devices too.

Can't help the blind...
Yep you're certainly demonstrating that, kudos

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back