Windows 11

Remove this Banner Ad

What I am concerned about is the fact that Microsoft requires a Microsoft Account in Windows 11. Quite troubling if I am honest.
I'm not entirely sure how it's "troubling", it's part of (amongst other things) a security uplift. It opens up the potential for online account recovery, MFA, etc, along with the possibility of a number of other functions from Defender that Enterprise environments have starting using being accessible by the public.

Microsoft are doing some really cool stuff behind the scenes that most people aren't seeing, hopefully some of these things become something home users can get their hands on.

And what do folks mean by the change to the windows key?

I use it all the time to launch applications or open files simply by typing their names. How has this changed? FWIW Cortana shat me big time and can fu** right off
NFI, haven't heard/seen anything about them changing anything there. It might have been a release-day bug that has since been sorted out.

I finally did the inevitable move. I upgraded my system and had Windows 11 installed. To get Windows 11 I needed a new processor which of course meant replacing the mainboard, RAM etc.

As for Cortana, it is a personal preference but I switched it off in Windows 10 and never missed it, I will do the same in windows 11. It can be invasive as it activates on start up and can log your action across the web.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not entirely sure how it's "troubling", it's part of (amongst other things) a security uplift. It opens up the potential for online account recovery, MFA, etc, along with the possibility of a number of other functions from Defender that Enterprise environments have starting using being accessible by the public.

Microsoft are doing some really cool stuff behind the scenes that most people aren't seeing, hopefully some of these things become something home users can get their hands on.
Looks like the Defender for Individuals stuff was just launched, which is part of the reason Microsoft want people on registered online accounts.

Since installing Windows 11 I have had to switch off one or two of Microsoft's insidious cash grabs. As an example I switched off the 'Offer suggestions on how I can set up my device' option in the Start Up menu. Every 3 days Microsoft wanted to give me the opportunity to link with Office 360 which of course means paying them an annual fee for MS Office which I had already purchased outright. The switch off is easy enough to do but it is a nuisance having to do it and I am left wondering what other pesky pop ups are going to appear.

I hate the idea of Microsoft setting my system up with the features they want me to have. As Old Blue Eyes once sang, I much prefer to do it my way.

Windows 11 is horrible. IT came up to me at work last week and were apologetic about letting me know that the company will be upgrading everyone to windows 11 over the weekend. Now I know why (I'm a designer for context)

• Can't drag a file in to an active taskbar app - can only drag direct in to app
  • Unable to see the full title of any items in taskbar - only icons
  • Context menu is garbage as unexpanded - I have lots of little shortcuts in the "send to" context menu that are now no longer shortcuts because I have to click "show more options" or hit shift+f10
  • No quick launch toolbar (or alternative) I usually have 3-4 apps pinned to taskbar and the remainder of my main apps in the quick launch bar

When actually using an app, I have no issue, however, when I have to switch between programs, try and find the correct explorer window, drag and drop an image/eps in to a design file or easily open a new app that isn't pinned, windows 11 is frustrating. I feel it's adding an extra 15-20 minutes to my workflow each day with unintuitive and oftentimes obtrustive or limited features. As a power user it's horrible.

If this was my home PC I'd have downgraded or if that wasn't a possibility, I'd have got a third party app or jumped in to the registry to fix a few of the limitations.

Also we use MS teams at work and I had two versions running - one with my work login and another with my personal MS account

Windows 11 22H2 was released this morning, I haven't installed it yet but it seems to resolve a lot of the issues people seem to have with it. You can drag and drop into the taskbar, Explorer has been redesigned (tabs aren't in yet, but should be in next month), the Start Menu has been changed a little, and there are a number of other features which may or may not be useful.

Since installing Windows 11 a couple of annoying issues have popped up. Now and then I have a printer issue as Windows will not recognise my Laser printer. I suspect it is because my printer is over 10 years old and there is no Windows 11 driver update available. If I clear the print queue and print a test page the printer re fires but it is annoying. My printer will work most times in Windows 11 but sometimes it doesn't which is annoying.

I also have to hit the Ctrl key to get the sign in box to appear when the system comes out of sleep mode. It is not a big deal, just a couple of key strokes but it is something I did not have to do in Windows 10.

Windows 11 is like previous versions as Microsoft release a new Windows version, we install it, then they have to issue countless updates to fix the minor faults you would expect them to have eliminated in the Beta versions.

The piddly little issues keep coming with W11. I think I have resolved my printer issue, for some reason W11 switched off my default printer and had a default printer that wasn't even connected. Easy enough to fix but should I have to to? I would have thought the update and install from windows 10 would have automatically detected connected devices. Hopefully the issue is fixed.

Last edited:
IF Windows 11 is half as bad as Windows 10 then they should just shoot ******* Microscourge into the sun with all their hangers-on on board.

10 was the biggest pile of s**t "timewasting ware" ever written. campaigners should have been euthanized for that piece of s**t.

Leave the computer OS's to the adults Gates you senile software thief.

IF Windows 11 is half as bad as Windows 10 then they should just shoot ******* Microscourge into the sun with all their hangers-on on board.

10 was the biggest pile of s**t "timewasting ware" ever written. campaigners should have been euthanized for that piece of s**t.

Sent from my Windows laptop

Either you're one of these weird old people who are obsessed over Windows XP or you always try to steal the latest Macbook

Remove this Banner Ad

Back