Windows 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Bought a new HP laptop a couple of months ago and yesterday I received my "future proof" windows 7 upgrade discs.

I installed it without much hassle.

I watched the tutorial video thing which tells you about some of the extra features W7 has. Things such as the window snapping and those short list recent document things work. But for the life of me I can't get a preview of an open window when i hover over the icon on the task bar. Also in the video it said that when you hover your mouse over the show desktop button it shows a preview the desktop without you clicking it, I can't do that either. In addition, the video said I can hover the mouse over the windows explorer icon on the task bar and see a little window with all the files etc in it, once again, can't seem to do that.

Any tips.

Oh and I didn't do a "clean install" I just chose the upgrade option because I got scared off doing the custom install option.

Those "Preview" features are only available when you are using a Windows Aero Theme. Go to Control Panel->Appearance and Personalization->Change the Theme. Select an Aero Theme and see how you go.

Glad I found this thread.....just got a laptop with W7 on it. Only problem is I can't seem to get Media Player 12 to work no matter what I try (running command prompt programs, re-installing Java) and the install program on it cannot be run because the version installed is newer than the installation application. Any ideas, save for getting a different media player.

NOTE: Media CENTRE works fine.

Have you tried disabling it, and then re-enabling it, through the Uninstall 'Programs and Features' through Control Panel?

Have you tried disabling it, and then re-enabling it, through the Uninstall 'Programs and Features' through Control Panel?

Tried that at least twice, only worked for Media CENTRE not media PLAYER. Even tried things like running things through command prompt, even re-installing java that was suggested somewhere else.

try this to see if it is at least working.:

right click on a mp3 and then look for the tab "open with" this will allow you to choose media player as the program to play the mp3 with, if this works then it is not the program.

make sure you have selected media player as your default program to play media content.

make sure you have added folders to your media libraries in windows7 as well

I have not been bothered to look for the differences, in fact overall lazyiness has meant I actually haven't worked out all of Win 7....so is professional heaps better than home premium??Im asking this because I've recently purchased a new laptop that came with win 7 pro, it seems to work great but looking in shops theirs a huge difference in price between the two!! I don't think I would have brought it if it didn't come with the lappy...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys, just looking for some general advice, as I'm about to order a new PC because my old laptop is ancient and deathly slow.

I use XP at home and XP at work (government). But most new PCs have Windows 7.

I'm totally computer illiterate and only use my PC for surfing the net and for my resume and stuff like that.

Should I bother with Win 7 or should I stick with the safe XP??

I am inclined to stick with XP (especially since there's little likelihood that work will ever upgrade), but I would like to hear your advice.

Cheers.

Hi guys, just looking for some general advice, as I'm about to order a new PC because my old laptop is ancient and deathly slow.

I'm totally computer illiterate and only use my PC for surfing the net and for my resume and stuff like that.

I am inclined to stick with XP (especially since there's little likelihood that work will ever upgrade), but I would like to hear your advice.

Cheers.

get windows 7 pro it is xp program backward compatible and xp will soon be redundant as of the next browser upgrade which is already in beta. it integrates with many features of windows 7

Cheers.
lol why doesnt the government have windows 7 wtf

I agree with the above, definitely get Windows 7. Save you compatibility problems with any future programs ("future proofing") and if you have anything that only works on XP, you can run XP mode on Windows 7 (Enterprise, Professional and Ultimate only though from memory).

Shitloads of large organisations are still on XP.

Still on XP...still using I.e 6 here as well. The reason is we run a validated ERP system and the business does not want to spend money to upgrade it to support a newer browsers & O/S

I worked for the NTG and was a part of the project team to move them over to Windows 7. First step was the schools and a few departments, Win XP is still being used as the programs for it are stable.
Governments use a lot of custom payroll and other software that are a bit buggy in Win7 as the same goes for VPN software etc.

I use Win7 at home but if I was still running a large business I wouldnt use Win7 yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back