Windy Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

brisbane13

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
had a look and couldn't find a thread on the old Venue,
was wondering if any one had any photos of the Venue of when Essendon still played their home games there before some of the old stands where pulled down.

I've checked the place out, though just the once. This was during the drug dilemma, but there was still a bit of a familial vibe about the place. Essendon's an alright suburb, but as someone who hangs to the other side of the inner north, it was pretty unique feeling.

Grounds like Brunswick Street, Punt Road, and Optus Oval don't seem "suburban," but these kind of grounds (Vic Park, Moorabbin) seem to mirror their suburbs a lot – both were chockers with cream brick and pretty boring, mid-70s-ish architecture.

Bit a bump, funny how I now spend a majority of my time in and around the western side of the northern burbs... anyway, has anyone been here recently? Seems the place has lost a lot of soul. There's no Bombers team store and apparently the VFL side are playing up at the new training centre now.

Love the ground though, really unique in that a bit like Moorabbin it is very much a 1970s ground and its charm is from a more normal place, unlike Brunswick Street Oval, Punt Road, and Glenferrie who all trade off architecture you'd generally say is more pretty. Love how this is tucked away down the end. Would have been a cool trip. Did many people eat or drink around the area before games? There are basically no pubs in this part of Essendon.

Bit a bump, funny how I now spend a majority of my time in and around the western side of the northern burbs... anyway, has anyone been here recently? Seems the place has lost a lot of soul. There's no Bombers team store and apparently the VFL side are playing up at the new training centre now.

Love the ground though, really unique in that a bit like Moorabbin it is very much a 1970s ground and its charm is from a more normal place, unlike Brunswick Street Oval, Punt Road, and Glenferrie who all trade off architecture you'd generally say is more pretty. Love how this is tucked away down the end. Would have been a cool trip. Did many people eat or drink around the area before games? There are basically no pubs in this part of Essendon.

Dunno if you've been to Moorabbin lately, but the ground and facilities is an absolute shithole, was shocked at the state of it when I was there about 6 weeks ago.

Dunno if you've been to Moorabbin lately, but the ground and facilities is an absolute shithole, was shocked at the state of it when I was there about 6 weeks ago.
I went about four years ago, pretty sure I started the thread for the ground and threw up some photos too. It was a lovely day and the grass was seriously impressive and I actually thought the stand looked okay considering it hadn't been in use by anyone for years.

Last I heard it was all being knocked down in the last week or so. They also got rid of the classic 80s Miami looking 'Saints' sign and facade too – spewing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back