Windy Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Anton Grbac

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2001
Question for the 'older' generation here.
Where did yer stand/sit in the old days at Windy Hill? Teenage Wally could be found in the forward pocket under the main scoreboard....propping up the 'can bar'. Some real ferals down there!
The look on opposition supporters faces after an afternoon in the outer was always amusing.
"Never coming back here again!" was one comment often heard mumbled on their way out.

where's wally?

Yes,scoreboard pocket,week in week out.Some of the best fights I`ve ever witnessed in this area,Essendon v Essendon bit like Kramer v Kramer ! Appreciated the fire that started at half time in mid~winter behind the scoreboard,always managed to get out of hand.
Sometimes ventured around to the King Richard stand,stood underneath it,my favourite memory was when the ball was up the other end,Spencer was dragged and I stood on the walkway and gave it to him in full voice..."Get out of my club spencer and get out of my life"....got a fair cheer. The worst player I`ve seen wear our jumper.

my grandmother and aunty had reserved seats in the showers pavillion, so when i was really young i used to sit with them in the stand

i used to prefer to sit in the front row down infront of the stand, which is my grandfather stood, and towards the end of the game stumbled

quite often i also ended up sitting on the concrete wall where they advertising signs were that backed onto the bowling green

We had season reserved seats for a few years in that little part just to the left of the Hird stand. I can't remember if it had a name.

After that, it was behind the Napier St goals.

Damn i wish i could go see Essendon play there again! It would be nice if the AFL could get to the point where teams COULD play a game or 2 at their home ground every year, just to act as a reminder of where it was the game came from.

I always think about how i'd love to take my mate from the US to a game of AFL.......but for him to get the REAL vibe of "footy", it would have to be at Windy Hill.

Taking him to Colonial would be like watching an Ashes Test at VFL Park........

Oops. I've changed the subject. (again. lol)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back