Wine of the Week - Sticks Yarra Valley Chardonnay 2004

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 25, 2002
37° 70' 12"
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I figure the best way to start this series of wines would be to feature some wines that punch well above their price point for the quality provided. This is a bucket load of white wine on the market, particularly Chardonnay. Many are asking unrealistically high prices for ordinary wine made from very young vines in a diluted fashion. My wine of the week comes from the ex-Yarra Ridge vineyard which some of you may have heard of. Tasted blind it would easily pass for a $25 wine and is available for almost half that. It is made by Rob 'Sticks' Dolan who had a successful career in the SANFL before turning his attention to making good booze. I have included the notes of the doyen of Australian wine critics, James Halliday.

WineStar does this for $13.99 but it is widely available and great value.

Sticks Yarra Valley Chardonnay 2004
Very attractive sweet white peach/stone fruit aromas and flavours; length and intensity; a subtle flick of oak. Screwcap. Drink: Now to 2010. Rating: 93 out of 100; James Halliday Wine Companion 2006

stickschard2.jpg
stickschard.jpg

Have had a bottle of Sticks cab sav hanging around for a few years which I must try soon - I recall that it was well regarded.

Good to see this chardonnay seems to be low oak. Some years ago, as head of the FLA, I declared fatwas against oak, Robert Parker and local fat buttery over oaked chardonnays.

I have a few followers and all are welcome to join the FLA*.

* Fruit Liberation Army - the last bulwark against over oaked, high alcohol and overripe wine.

The irony is oak costs. Good oak costs more. All of this adds to the bottom line.

Alas, wine is not always something you can buy on price. People who enjoy lightly wooded or unwooded Chardonnay will prefer a style such as Sticks to a $140 Giaconda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back