Injury Wines has done his shoulder

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Kane Corner sucks. This has been Kane corner.

The longer I have to think about it, the angrier I get. What made us great in the late 70s, 80s and 90s, was our desire to be elite. As much as Jack and Fos before him had to do with that, in reality, it came from the supporters. We demanded success.

We are now in a much bigger pond, success is harder. But the real change is that the supporter base has widened and along with the hardcore who demand success, there is also the newbies who are really theatre goers. Entertainment seems as important as success.

There is no way Jack would have come out supporting Ollie’s right to have a lifestyle outside footy. There is no way the playing group of the 70s would have defended Ollie. And the reason is that we demanded everything of our players.

If you are not angry at Ollie (and I mean really angry) then it’s because you do not demand 100% from our players. Unless we do demand 100% this suburban club will only ever be mediocre.

We just shipped out to Hawthorn the most talented footballer to play for this club since Gavin Wanganeen because he would not give 100%. Now this. There was no point losing Wingard if we weren’t going to replace him with a culture of hard work and sacrifice until we get success.

I’m not advocating punishing Ollie. However, we should let him know he has let us down and this is not acceptable.

You should be angry.

I simply cannot agree.

Some of us also understand the reality that no matter how much you pay someone it doesn't make you happy when you're pushed to the limit. We already have massive mental health issues in this country with young men and being paid 500k or 10 million per year won't overcome the pressures of AFL. Stop comparing the AFL of today to the SANFL of yesterday, they cannot be compared. The level of professionalism, intensity, committment and stress is far greater than it ever was in the SANFL. Social media is extremely brutal and no doubt the rubbish players have to put up with would take its toll on them mentally.

Comparing our sport to others like the NBA and NFL we aren't even allowed to celebrate or even have a laugh while playing because we demand our players to perform like robots. The one thing I love about American sports is that they are actually allowed to have a laugh or celebrate when they play.

Have we not seen enough examples of the struggles with young men to be pushing this agenda expecting them to perform like soldiers. When are we going to wake up and realize that these players are NOT soldiers.

He also helped us win a flag by keeping Simon Black invisible amongst other star players in meaningful games. Wasn't a great kick but left wines for dead in that area.
Either BOG or second best on ground in a winning GF imo. But heh, Harry who Wines says hes done nothing. Well as long as we keep the Wines family happy everything is hunky dory.

Last edited:
Or it may cost us a premiership - the door swings both ways.

We aren’t winning a premiership without Wines playing better than he has been.

This might be the catalyst to push Ollie into becoming the elite player everyone knows he can be.
Nah, more likely because we aren’t kissing his arse he’ll decide to go ‘home’.
If his brothers bullshit is anything to go by.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happens publicly and privately are two entirely different things.

I reckon Ollie’s tweet about putting the boat in storage at Adelaide is a sign that the club has told him to remove the temptation after they probably had told him to take it easy and think about the season ahead...and he couldn’t when he was out there having fun.
The term "club" is very nebulous! Never mind the club, I reckon with 100% certainty that the medicos, both outside and inside the club, have informed him that his injured shoulder will absolutely prohibit any type of skiing whatsoever in 2019 (at least!).

Done and dusted. Park the boat young man, you are grounded for the year!

The price of survival.

It's why we still have Hinkley.
It's why we no longer have a Game Day Village.
It's why we sucked eggs on the AFLW team.
It's why we didn't say anything about shot clocks or raised elbows.
It's why we don't get to wear the Prison Bars when we choose.

Sadly, it's also why we aren't really who we say we are.
Oh man this sucks

What happens publicly and privately are two entirely different things.

I reckon Ollie’s tweet about putting the boat in storage at Adelaide is a sign that the club has told him to remove the temptation after they probably had told him to take it easy and think about the season ahead...and he couldn’t when he was out there having fun.
I highly doubt the club told him to put the boat away. That would have been a decision Ollie made himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back