Opinion Wines vs Rocky vs Drew, Who gets the third square spot?

Who gets the third square spot?

• Wimes

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Rockliff

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Drew

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
Boak and Housten are fantastic and by far our best midfielders so only injury will put them out of the 22. Robbie and SPP are seen to be better used as forward utility and as contributions to scoring involvements, so they won't be doing full-time work in the middle. Some of the draftees will also be tested in the middle throughout the year but I doubt any of them will be playing in there frequently enough to lock the third spot. So that brings us to these three...

They've all got ups and downs of course, so we're gonna need several people on the board to help come to a conclusion on this one. I've got no idea personally. Wines is an aggressive wrecking ball but a mongrel kick. Rockliff is a decent ball winner but a slow pig at times, and drew has solid outside play but perhaps not enough direct involvement in the play? I don't know.

With this season a cluster* there'd be nothing worse then pumping games into Rockliff. Ditto Wines if he hasn't clearly indicated he no longer wants out. Drew when fit should be first choice of these three. Of course with coach clown his order would be Wines, Rockliff, Drew or play multiple of them, in games with shortened quarters, to ensure a worst possible selection of treacle slowness, whilst other teams run more and faster then usual.

Midfield bull Ollie Wines says his latest rebuilt shoulder is “flying’’ and that he will be ready to slot straight into Port Adelaide’s AFL side when the season resumes.

Declaring he was one of the main benefactors of the AFL’s shutdown because of the coronavirus pandemic, Wines – who missed round one following off-season shoulder surgery – said he was medically cleared by his surgeon on Monday to play when football restarts.

“Twelve weeks post-surgery (Monday) was when the surgeon said he would give me the all-clear to play again,’’ said Wines, who is back at his family home in the northern Victorian town of Echuca.

“If footy was still going I would have tried to push it forward a couple of weeks with, as a professional athlete, accelerated rehab but with the way the situation is at the moment I don’t have to rush that.

Midfield bull Ollie Wines says his latest rebuilt shoulder is “flying’’ and that he will be ready to slot straight into Port Adelaide’s AFL side when the season resumes.

Declaring he was one of the main benefactors of the AFL’s shutdown because of the coronavirus pandemic, Wines – who missed round one following off-season shoulder surgery – said he was medically cleared by his surgeon on Monday to play when football restarts.

“Twelve weeks post-surgery (Monday) was when the surgeon said he would give me the all-clear to play again,’’ said Wines, who is back at his family home in the northern Victorian town of Echuca.

“If footy was still going I would have tried to push it forward a couple of weeks with, as a professional athlete, accelerated rehab but with the way the situation is at the moment I don’t have to rush that.

We'll it's gonna be hard to squeeze into that team from round 1, especially that midfield. I recommend giving him a bit more time in the intraclub matches, and if they want to force him in than I would only be comfortable with replacing Rockliff, not because he's bad, but because I have much more value for Boak, Housten and SPP, but I get the feeling SPP will get the rear end of the stick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One poster on our board was asking if there was any team we could trade pick 1 to (assuming we end up with it) in the 2020 draft.

Pick 1 to port for wines as the central deal within a larger move is the only deal that I could really think of that would be plausible and also win:win.

You guys get to add will Phillips or even guarantee a chance to take tilthorpe to add to your list of young guns <24 years.

We get a leader and contested mid who immediately steps into our centre square.

There would have to be some peripheral moves because I don’t think on his own he is worth pick 1. It it seems clear that wines position within your best 22 is somewhat dubious.

What’s your thoughts? Interested?

One poster on our board was asking if there was any team we could trade pick 1 to (assuming we end up with it) in the 2020 draft.

Pick 1 to port for wines as the central deal within a larger move is the only deal that I could really think of that would be plausible and also win:win.

You guys get to add will Phillips or even guarantee a chance to take tilthorpe to add to your list of young guns <24 years.

We get a leader and contested mid who immediately steps into our centre square.

There would have to be some peripheral moves because I don’t think on his own he is worth pick 1. It it seems clear that wines position within your best 22 is somewhat dubious.

What’s your thoughts? Interested?
Gladly hand him over for pick 1. But Ollie seems to be keen to head back to Vic. We will also throw in Ken Hinkley as steak knives

i dont really know Wines from a bar of soap on a personal level. But one thing that stands out to me is that he has always felt a bit entitled around the place. He would have thought that captaincy spot should have been his by right. I think what has happened this year will ahve been a kick in the teeth and likely the last straw to him not giving a toss and wanting to leave. Just the perfect excuse to not be the bad guy he was looking for.

reminds me of me and most of the girls ive broken up with :)

i dont really know Wines from a bar of soap on a personal level. But one thing that stands out to me is that he has always felt a bit entitled around the place. He would have thought that captaincy spot should have been his by right. I think what has happened this year will ahve been a kick in the teeth and likely the last straw to him not giving a toss and wanting to leave. Just the perfect excuse to not be the bad guy he was looking for.

reminds me of me and most of the girls ive broken up with :)
That’s a good point actually, for 2-3 years he was the heir apparent to Boak and the captaincy was almost his by right, so how will he respond to losing it as you’ve said, sook it up ?

If so I’d do the deal for pick 1, but I can’t see Wines wanting to go to the Suns. Maybe if they offer him a 5 year deal and 1Mil but given the apparent cuts because of Covid, that seems unlikely but surely the Suns would do almost Anything if Wines was willing to go there.

Or does he come back with a point to prove and maybe what takes his game to another level, bit like Robbie and his ACL took his game to another level. In this scenario he is worth far more to us than Pick 1.

Not in out premiership Window ? Are you being serious ?

yes

We don't have a KPF - dixon is old and injury prone and marshall is a third up KPF at the moment, with development slow
We have one quality KPB - clurey tick, jonas near the end, watts enough said and westhoff just about done
We don't have a small forward - gray fabulous but near the end, farrell is farrell
Our midfield lacks X factor - wines lol, boak near the end but we have Rozee coming through

You need at least 9 top class players to have a premiership window open

Cornes, Tredrea, Wakelin, Wanganeen, Wilson, PBurger, Hardwick, Pickett, Monty, Carr, Lade, James were probably in that category in 2004.

At the moment we have Clurey, Houston, Rozee (almost there), DBJ, Wines..........Boak, Gray (both just about done). So we go backwards before we go forwards with the loss of the pensioners.

Back