Opinion Wines vs Rocky vs Drew, Who gets the third square spot?

Who gets the third square spot?

• Wimes

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Rockliff

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Drew

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

yes

We don't have a KPF - dixon is old and injury prone and marshall is a third up KPF at the moment, with development slow
We have one quality KPB - clurey tick, jonas near the end, watts enough said and westhoff just about done
We don't have a small forward - gray fabulous but near the end, farrell is farrell
Our midfield lacks X factor - wines lol, boak near the end but we have Rozee coming through

You need at least 9 top class players to have a premiership window open

Cornes, Tredrea, Wakelin, Wanganeen, Wilson, PBurger, Hardwick, Pickett, Monty, Carr, Lade, James were probably in that category in 2004.

At the moment we have Clurey, Houston, Rozee (almost there), DBJ, Wines..........Boak, Gray (both just about done). So we go backwards before we go forwards with the loss of the pensioners.

Your perspective is fine but really which teams do have the elite talent that you speak of?

The reality is that other clubs have been able to perform better than us with arguably the same or less amount of talent.

We should be able to perform just fine with what we have.

Your perspective is fine but really which teams do have the elite talent that you speak of?

The reality is that other clubs have been able to perform better than us with arguably the same or less amount of talent.

We should be able to perform just fine with what we have.

go back and review GF winning sides.

"We exist to win premierships" should be crossed out with "we exist to be 9th" if we give up building to what it takes to win flags

"We exist to win premierships" should be crossed out with "we exist to be 9th" if we give up building to what it takes to win flags
We have the talent on the list to win a flag this year as we have had the last 5 years but because of coach he lose the same way despite significant list turnover.

Yes we have a few older players who will leave big holes but we also have one on the best young lists in the comp and free agency makes targeting specific needs easier then it otherwise was.

We have the talent on the list to win a flag this year as we have had the last 5 years but because of coach he lose the same way despite significant list turnover.

Yes we have a few older players who will leave big holes but we also have one on the best young lists in the comp and free agency makes targeting specific needs easier then it otherwise was.

agree on our youth, that's coming along nicely but again, what age do they need be to open a premiership window? they are a few years away (3-5 years?)

Where did I say we should stop trying to improve the list?

I hope we are there or there abouts for the next 5 years but in all likelihood our next best chance at a flag is when Rozee is 25-30. Everything needs to be geared toward that being a sustained period of success. If the opportunity is there I think we trade Wines.

We’ve got the chance to bring in a more skillful and instant replacement in Hately and it’s a draft choc full of quality key position players.

Showdown 48 has made this topic a bit spicier. It was clear that Rozee and Butters played best in the midfield, which might potentially force Housten to the backline again. Hard to tell at this stage, but regardless it's going to be hard seeing Wines crawl his way back in. I doubt we're going to drop Rocky even if he hasn't been elite. Right now it's 1 on 1 since Drew is off the table for the foreseeable future. Playing both Rocky and Wines would make the midfield too slow, but depending on the matchup might be prefered in specific instances.

Tell me your thoughts.

Last edited:
Showdown 48 has made this topic a bit spicier. It was clear that Rozee and Butters played best in the midfield, which might potentially force Housten to the backline again. Hard to tell at this stage, but regardless it's going to be hard seeing Wines crawl his way back in. I doubt we're going to drop Rocky even if he hasn't been elite. Right now it's 1 on 1 since Drew is off the table for the foreseeable future. Playing both Rocky and Wines would make the midfield too slow, but depending on the matchup might be prefered in specific instances.

Tell me your thoughts.
We've always looked too slow, one-dimensional and incapable of clean forward entries when we've played too many inside mid's. Whether Houston goes back or not, our whole team balance will go in the wrong direction if Wines is in for anyone other than Rockliff or Ebert (obviously we aren't dropping Boak for him!). We won our clearances handily without him against Adelaide, but just as importantly had the speed outside to get in space often. Something that's been an issue all too often when we've gone too many inside mid's.

Happy to be wrong but it won't surprise me greatly if Drew struggles to play 50 AFL games, same with Atley, and yes I know he isn't mentioned in the question. ;)

Wines is still probably our best bull option as in making space for others and/or the quick handball give, but more as a role player, not the prime mover he was in his first season or two.
I doubt anyone with his poor disposal by foot deserves `gun' status though.

Happy to be wrong but it won't surprise me greatly if Drew struggles to play 50 AFL games, same with Atley, and yes I know he isn't mentioned in the question. ;)

Wines is still probably our best bull option as in making space for others and/or the quick handball give, but more as a role player, not the prime mover he was in his first season or two.
I doubt anyone with his poor disposal by foot deserves `gun' status though.

I agree, Drew hasn't shown anywhere near enough to be in this conversation. He had 10 games last year and averaged 15.9 disposals. For all Ollies faults, at least he gets the football.

Back