Analysis Wing Attendance Megathread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

With 2 games to go we are still not completely settled on wingers except Berry.
Even against the Dockers Fletcher was the preferred starting wing over Ah Chee.
I think the club see Fletcher eventually playing wing, but he is still inexperienced.
Fletcher showed signs of needing a break and it was good to see the club decided sub would fulfill that need.

I can really see Wilmot moving into the midfield next year.

The club may want to give Prior another game at HB.
If so Kiddy into side, Wilmot to wing and Ah Chee forward.

Most likely it will be Prior out for Kiddy and Lohmann in for Gunston.
It's a question of weather you prefer Prior over Lohmann then, if that was my choice I'd probably go with Prior, as I think Ah Chee up forward is better for us then on the Wing. We need more defensive help up forward then we do on the wing, where Berry already plays that role.

It's a question of weather you prefer Prior over Lohmann then, if that was my choice I'd probably go with Prior, as I think Ah Chee up forward is better for us then on the Wing. We need more defensive help up forward then we do on the wing, where Berry already plays that role.
Find out tomorrow which way the club are thinking.
The logical choice is Lohmann for Gunston as he replaced Gunston not long ago.
If it is Lohmann he will need these next two games to settle in a bit at AFL level before finals.

Find out tomorrow which way the club are thinking.
The logical choice is Lohmann for Gunston as he replaced Gunston not long ago.
If it is Lohmann he will need these next two games to settle in a bit at AFL level before finals.
No Hill might mean we are a bit less worried about their forward line pace

I think Wilmot looks really good at hb

But i’m a bit wary of say pushing ah chee forward and leaving our wings as berry plus ?? Fletcher seemed gassed a couple of weeks ago and nobody else plays the position particularly well

I think i’d lean towards Bailey as the attacking wing and bez can do grunt work with fletcher.

Happy for the MC to take this one

Wing AttendanceRound 23CollingwoodMarvel Stadium
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Ah Chee
2​
2​
1​
3​
8​
10.81%​
Berry
4​
6​
2​
3​
8​
1​
7​
31​
41.89%​
Fletcher
5​
2​
3​
2​
3​
5​
5​
2​
27​
36.49%​
Rayner
1​
1​
1.35%​
Zorko
1​
1​
1.35%​
Bailey
1​
1​
1.35%​
Robertson
1​
4​
5​
6.76%​

I am a little concerned about Fletcher coming into the finals.
He is young so inexperienced, and his form is okay but a little up and down which comes with being young and inexperienced.
If he stays in the team, I think Ah Chee has to be the 2nd winger and Fletcher wing relief.
Before Ah Chee got injured last week it appears that Fletcher was preferred wing over Ah Chee.
However, things could have changed over the course of the game if Ah Chee stayed on the field.
We will find out more v Saints assuming Ah Chee get up for the game.

If it comes down to selecting Fletcher or say Dev for the finals i would prefer Dev as wing and some mid relief.

I am a little concerned about Fletcher coming into the finals.
He is young so inexperienced, and his form is okay but a little up and down which comes with being young and inexperienced.
If he stays in the team, I think Ah Chee has to be the 2nd winger and Fletcher wing relief.
Before Ah Chee got injured last week it appears that Fletcher was preferred wing over Ah Chee.
However, things could have changed over the course of the game if Ah Chee stayed on the field.
We will find out more v Saints assuming Ah Chee get up for the game.

If it comes down to selecting Fletcher or say Dev for the finals i would prefer Dev as wing and some mid relief.
Wilmot went pretty well going in cold straight into finals last year, at least Jaspa has a string of games in the seniors under his belt.

Wilmot went pretty well going in cold straight into finals last year, at least Jaspa has a string of games in the seniors under his belt.
In 2022 Wilmot did very well when he came in for Answerth (suspension) then held his spot over Prior when Answerth was back the following week.
I think Fletcher looks a natural winger and has a bright future.
He has played 10 games so far and the next inexperienced best 22 player is Wilmot with 25 then Dev 37. Then Prior sitting outside best 22 with 35.
The difference for me is Dev has been in the system for 4 years the same as Prior.

You can't beat experience and a few years in the gym going into finals be it VFL or AFL.
The club most likely stick with Fletcher, and he may play well but i think it is a bit of a gamble going into a final series.
I will be happy to be proven very wrong.

Against popular opinion i would prefer.
Lyons in over Fletcher.
Lyons can replace Dev's recent role. Or just fill in when we have Neale and Dunkley on the bench. A combination of both.
Dev goes to wing relief (Berry & Ah Chee (with some forward time)) and some mid relief.

In my opinion this gives us a better chance of winning finals and making the GF.

In 2022 Wilmot did very well when he came in for Answerth (suspension) then held his spot over Prior when Answerth was back the following week.
I think Fletcher looks a natural winger and has a bright future.
He has played 10 games so far and the next inexperienced best 22 player is Wilmot with 25 then Dev 37. Then Prior sitting outside best 22 with 35.
The difference for me is Dev has been in the system for 4 years the same as Prior.

You can't beat experience and a few years in the gym going into finals be it VFL or AFL.
The club most likely stick with Fletcher, and he may play well but i think it is a bit of a gamble going into a final series.
I will be happy to be proven very wrong.

Against popular opinion i would prefer.
Lyons in over Fletcher.
Lyons can replace Dev's recent role. Or just fill in when we have Neale and Dunkley on the bench. A combination of both.
Dev goes to wing relief (Berry & Ah Chee (with some forward time)) and some mid relief.

In my opinion this gives us a better chance of winning finals and making the GF.
Fraught with danger bringing Lyons into the team straight from the opening bounce, no doubt he has strengths but I would be very worried about him having a detrimental affect on our defensive transition and pressure game.

Fraught with danger bringing Lyons into the team straight from the opening bounce, no doubt he has strengths but I would be very worried about him having a detrimental affect on our defensive transition and pressure game.
He starts on the bench and replaces Neale & Dunkley.
Bench time average for Neale is 13% and Dunkley is 20% let's say 35% total. You could go a little higher to get these two through the final series.
Adding Lyons bench time of around 25% that is a total of 60% that Lyons is not on the field the same time as Neale and Dunkley.
So, 40% he is on the ground the same time. That does not mean he is full midfield during that time. Some forward and midfield.

Team wise i prefer him over a 10 gamer in a final series.
Lyons has some deficiencies but i don't think that should outway his positive attributes.
In my opinion i don't think he is all that bad defensively or pressure wise but could be better.

It probably won't happen as his only 2 full games were to replace Dunkley.
You have to forget his form when playing injured for the 2nd half of 2022.

Ross doing me a favour for once by saving me work here.

Wing AttendanceRound 24St. KildaGabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Berry
4​
2​
1​
1​
4​
3​
4​
19​
43.18%​
Ah Chee
1​
2​
1​
1​
2​
2​
9​
20.45%​
Fletcher
1​
2​
1​
1​
2​
5​
1​
13​
29.55%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
4.55%​
Rayner
1​
1​
2.27%​

Nice easy one if chock-full of goals.

Wing AttendanceQualifying FinalPort AdelaideGabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Ah Chee
2​
2​
2​
4​
5​
1​
3​
19​
27.94%​
Berry
2​
5​
5​
7​
1​
3​
23​
33.82%​
Fletcher
3​
1​
4​
3​
2​
8​
4​
25​
36.76%​
Rayner
1​
1​
1.47%​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice easy one if chock-full of goals.

Wing AttendanceQualifying FinalPort AdelaideGabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Ah Chee
2​
2​
2​
4​
5​
1​
3​
19​
27.94%​
Berry
2​
5​
5​
7​
1​
3​
23​
33.82%​
Fletcher
3​
1​
4​
3​
2​
8​
4​
25​
36.76%​
Rayner
1​
1​
1.47%​
Nice and simple isn’t it. Ah chee splits his time forward and wing. Suspect week off won’t hurt fletcher who looked very fresh in the qf

Good work guys, now I have to do this for another game... :rolleyes:

Wing AttendancePreliminary FinalCarltonGabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Ah Chee
3​
2​
3​
2​
10​
20.83%​
Berry
1​
6​
4​
2​
1​
2​
2​
18​
37.50%​
Fletcher
3​
1​
2​
3​
3​
1​
4​
17​
35.42%​
Robertson
1​
1​
2.08%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
4.17%​

Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Ah Chee
3​
2​
3​
2​
10​
20.83%​
Berry
1​
6​
4​
2​
1​
2​
2​
18​
37.50%​
Fletcher
3​
1​
2​
3​
3​
1​
4​
17​
35.42%​
Robertson
1​
1​
2.08%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
4.17%​

Suspect we will see a higher percentage taken by Ah Chee in this one - was the preferred matchup for Josh Daicos and played well in round 23.

Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Ah Chee
3​
2​
3​
2​
10​
20.83%​
Berry
1​
6​
4​
2​
1​
2​
2​
18​
37.50%​
Fletcher
3​
1​
2​
3​
3​
1​
4​
17​
35.42%​
Robertson
1​
1​
2.08%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
4.17%​

Great work this year Zoblitz. You're a poor man's Jivlain but we still love you.

Now let's never speak of this again.

But seriously, I'm not entirely sure who our defensive winger was for that second quarter so I went with Rayner considering we used him in that position in the first quarter. Wingers also went a bit funky when Ah Chee was subbed and it went Zorko, Robertson and then Hugh twice to finish.

Wing AttendanceGrand FinalCollingwoodMCG
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Berry
2​
4​
4​
1​
2​
4​
1​
18​
33.33%​
Ah Chee
2​
2​
5​
2​
1​
1​
1​
14​
25.93%​
Fletcher
2​
1​
6​
4​
2​
1​
16​
29.63%​
Rayner
1​
1​
2​
3.70%​
Zorko
1​
1​
1.85%​
Robertson
1​
1​
1.85%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
3.70%​

But seriously, I'm not entirely sure who our defensive winger was for that second quarter so I went with Rayner considering we used him in that position in the first quarter. Wingers also went a bit funky when Ah Chee was subbed and it went Zorko, Robertson and then Hugh twice to finish.

Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Berry
2​
4​
4​
1​
2​
4​
1​
18​
33.33%​
Ah Chee
2​
2​
5​
2​
1​
1​
1​
14​
25.93%​
Fletcher
2​
1​
6​
4​
2​
1​
16​
29.63%​
Rayner
1​
1​
2​
3.70%​
Zorko
1​
1​
1.85%​
Robertson
1​
1​
1.85%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
3.70%​

Was definitely Rayner. I noticed it and got mad after how badly it went in the first.

Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Berry
2​
4​
4​
1​
2​
4​
1​
18​
33.33%​
Ah Chee
2​
2​
5​
2​
1​
1​
1​
14​
25.93%​
Fletcher
2​
1​
6​
4​
2​
1​
16​
29.63%​
Rayner
1​
1​
2​
3.70%​
Zorko
1​
1​
1.85%​
Robertson
1​
1​
1.85%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
3.70%​
Where did Fletcher go in the last? After subbing out one wing seems bizarre not to be using one of your main ones in the last quarter

The bench, 39% ToG in the last quarter.

Presumably to make way for Lyons in the middle.
And a big touch of just rooted. he is a first year player that missed a big chunk of the preseason. Mayhap he never recovered from last week.

And a big touch of just rooted. he is a first year player that missed a big chunk of the preseason. Mayhap he never recovered from last week.
I don't particularly have a problem with that. Fletcher was a player who all year looked like he was done and dusted, then in the second half would have a massive impact on a few key plays.

Feels like the GF caught up with him. But it's a sign of how weak our wings are that a first year player was able to push them all out IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back