Wingmen to be benefit most from new rules

Remove this Banner Ad

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I notice with interest that Wingmen seem to be the greatest benefiterary of the new rules.
It appears that they have the most space around them with the 6 6 6 format.
Some clubs are running highly skilled ball magnets through this space like Selwood, Treloar and Sheed and all are racking up huge numbers of possessions.
Coaches are experimenting with how they structure up on positioning along the centre square line in both defensive and attacking models. It appears to me that the more astute coaches assume that quality wing men are the key factor in the Run and carry stakes going forward.

tenor.gif

Yep Sheed is locked in the inside now..In round 3 Gaff will replace Masten and be of better service on the wing.

I notice with interest that Wingmen seem to be the greatest benefiterary of the new rules.
Some clubs are running highly skilled ball magnets through this space like Selwood, Treloar and Sheed and all are racking up huge numbers of possessions.
Coaches are experimenting with how they structure up on positioning along the centre square line in both defensive and attacking models. It appears to me that the more astute coaches assume that quality wing men are the key factor in the Run and carry stakes going forward.

Yeah agree.

Gaff, Sheed, Redden when on the wing will tear it up.

More space, more time.

Quick HBF will be become serious weapons by running straight to the wings - Jetta, Watson, Sheppard, Cole - to become an attacking overlap player too.

6-6-6 benefits WC greatly in general. I make flooding back much less effective which is some other teams (*cough Fremantle cough*) use as their primary means of defence. Add to that our forwards love 1v1s. Once we get NN and Gaff back we will have perfect team to fully take advantage of the new rules.

Arguably Masten is even more important under the new rules.
Think you missed the Point Tiger.

Well who would you drop for Gaff? Our back 6 and forward line are both pretty with good depth. Of our midfield: Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, Redden, Hutchings Masten would probably the last picked.

WC has a very set structure.

6 Forwards + rotation on bench: Mcgovern, Barrass, Hurn, Sheppard, Cole, Jetta, Duggan
6 Backs + rotation on bench: Ruck 1, Shuey, Yeo, Gaff, Sheed, Redden, Hutchings, Ruck 2
6 Mids (inc 1 Ruck) + rotation mid and ruck on bench: Kennedy, Darling, Cripps, Rioli, Ryan, Venables, 3rd Tall

Last edited:
Well who would you drop for Gaff? Our back 6 and forward line are both pretty with good depth. Of our midfield: Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, Redden, Hutchings Masten would probably the last picked.

WC has a very set structure.

6 Forwards + rotation on bench
6 Backs + rotation on bench
6 Mids (inc 1 Ruck) + rotation mid and ruck on bench
You will notice that during the JLT, Masten worked more back than usual but worked in unison with both Gaff and Sheed.
The more players that can run all day on the outside will be more important than ever.
The name of the game will be run, Run, run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody.
When was the last time any club had their best 22 on the field.
There is no way we will drop an elite runner with these rule changes.
Also I have serious doubts on their thinking about playing a dedicated tagger in all games under these rules.

Nobody.
When was the last time any club had their best 22 on the field.
There is no way we will drop an elite runner with these rule changes.

So your idea is that Masten won't be dropped because we will always have injuries? Isn't that kinda proving my point that he is borderline best 22 if he only plays if have injuries/suspension?

So your idea is that Masten won't be dropped because we will always have injuries? Isn't that kinda proving my point that he is borderline best 22 if he only plays if have injuries/suspension?
No, my point is that more than often all three will play because there will always be a spare place in the clubs best 22.
i believe that all three are vital to our chances this year.
However, how the team structures up on any one week may change dramatically this season.
I believe there will be weeks when we run without a tagger, there will be weeks when we run with out a second ruck but I doubt that there will be weeks that we will sacrifice an elite runner.

No, my point is that more than often all three will play because there will always be a spare place in the clubs best 22.
i believe that all three are vital to our chances this year.
However, how the team structures up on any one week may change dramatically this season.
I believe there will be weeks when we run without a tagger, there will be weeks when we run with out a second ruck but I doubt that there will be weeks that we will sacrifice an elite runner.

Well considering Ruckman also benefit from the new rules, we specifically brought in extra ruckman this year and have had a gameplan based around having 2 rucks for several years I don't think we will be going solo ruck in the near future.

Hutchings not only is a great tagger (so naturally strong defensively) he has excellent endurance (tagger requirement) but also sneaks forward for clutch goals (like he did in the GF).

Masten is an elite runner but so is his replacement (Gaff) so we are not losing anything there.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Masten is bad he is stuck in the same position as Schofield: the 23rd best player in the team.

Oops, the bandage gets ripped off and opens that old Masten wound again..?
Gaff is the better version, with skills. It will sort itself out.
But am curious to see how quickly, and where this new 6-6-6 beast evolves to, with countermeasures and coaching etc...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back