Review Winners and Losers - 2016 AFL National Draft

Name. club. draft pick. Predicted - draft pick.
Sam McLarty Collingwood 30 27.5
Callum Brown Collingwood 35 4.5
Kayle Kirby Collingwood 50 14.3
Josh Daicos Collingwood 57 -9.9
Total 36.5

Mostly Sam McLarty and Kayle Kirby.

They both Filled a Need and Reaching does not mean they be a Bust

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
How is me having a guess contradictory? Who do you think will be better at AFL level between McGrath and Draper?
According to you, when comparing Seton Petrovski (pick 5) and Bolton (pick 29) you said no-one could say which would be better as none of these draftees has made their AFL debut...and I quote "Pick 1 or pick 50 the hard work starts now, They are all equals at the top level until they play."

So, how can you then get indignant when another poster suggests that, using your argument, we don't know who out of McGrath (pick 1) and Draper(pick 50) will be better? That is how you are contradictory. Anything to do with who you barrack for?

So, in summary, YOU post that the top 50 selections all start equal as they haven't played at AFL level (when comparing a high Carlton draft pick to a lower draft pick selection). Yet when this is thrown back at you when comparing a high Essendon draft pick you imply that it is a silly comment..

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
According to you, when comparing Seton Petrovski (pick 5) and Bolton (pick 29) you said no-one could say which would be better as none of these draftees has made their AFL debut...and I quote "Pick 1 or pick 50 the hard work starts now, They are all equals at the top level until they play."

So, how can you then get indignant when another poster suggests that, using your argument, we don't know who out of McGrath (pick 1) and Draper(pick 50) will be better? That is how you are contradictory. Anything to do with who you barrack for?

So, in summary, YOU post that the top 50 selections all start equal as they haven't played at AFL level (when comparing a high Carlton draft pick to a lower draft pick selection). Yet when this is thrown back at you when comparing a high Essendon draft pick you imply that it is a silly comment..

Ok fair enough what I mean to say is... I'm not saying McGrath will be better but he's my tip to be better, They are equals but we can all still guess.

I understand your point now.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Ok its a touchy subject but political correctness is getting out of hand I am 1/4 indigenous but everyone walks around the issues.

Drafting a player of risk is huge now and we all no it...

The go home factor is crap -Bolton would have gone top 5 if he was white....

Parfitt has been amazing for 2 years trust me way better than most drafted.

Winners and loosers in a draft...ask Goodes Betts and the worst one off all time Charlie Cameran who was looked over 12 times ? your family and time on a list has never been more relevant
Are you suggesting that a player is selected based on the colour of their skin or their cultural heritage?

I also don't understand your reference to Goodes and Betts? They're not the first champions of our game to be picked outside the top 20 or 30 in the national draft or via the pre-season draft.

Are you suggesting that a player is selected based on the colour of their skin or their cultural heritage?

I also don't understand your reference to Goodes and Betts? They're not the first champions of our game to be picked outside the top 20 or 30 in the national draft or via the pre-season draft.

Betts was probably picked late, because he's short. Yarran was picked early, just not as good as he was rated. Jade Gresham i'm very happy with.
Raphael Clarke was picked early in a really crappy draft. He wasn't very good really, but there was no risk. His brother's only risk was injury.

Seriously you need to pick each individual on their own merits.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Sam Petrovski-Seton is a rare talent, this young man will turn heads once he gets over the little niggles and settles iento the mode of things.
Close to the most talent player of the 2016 draft can't see too many better than this boy, he'll excite the crowds for a very long time.
Go Baggers

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sam Petrovski-Seton is a rare talent, this young man will turn heads once he gets over the little niggles and settles iento the mode of things.
Close to the most talent player of the 2016 draft can't see too many better than this boy, he'll excite the crowds for a very long time.
Go Baggers

How is his preseason going?

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Go Baggers
The kids such a jet
Combination of poise and power is something special

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
i have been to a few training sessions and Cedric Cox looks all class, kicks off both feet exceptionally and is very calm in competitive drills, the way he moves reminds me a bit of Simon Black only more leg speed, albeit we need to see what he can do at AFL level.

i'm hoping that Cedric ends up being "the" slider of the 2016 draft.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
i have been to a few training sessions and Cedric Cox looks all class, kicks off both feet exceptionally and is very calm in competitive drills, the way he moves reminds me a bit of Simon Black only more leg speed, albeit we need to see what he can do at AFL level.

i'm hoping that Cedric ends up being "the" slider of the 2016 draft.

hahahahaha yes, you might want to wait until he plays in the big League, before comparing him to black and saying he is quicker which will make him better in my book, Black was an out and out champ, if he is that good he will be pick of the entire draft

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Ok fair enough what I mean to say is... I'm not saying McGrath will be better but he's my tip to be better, They are equals but we can all still guess.

I understand your point now.
Draper is a rookie who has played the game for 2 years.
McGrath is one of the most elite U/18s I've seen come through the ranks.

I wouldn't say they are equals just because day 1 starts now and reputations mean nothing.
Sure, there are high draft picks who have failed and late ones who have flourished. But the Draper/McGrath comparison is chalk and cheese.

A better comparison would be McGrath and Clarke.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Go Baggers
was rated #1 for a bit there for a reason.

Between him, mcgrath, mccluggage, taranto and setterfield for the best in this draft imo.
A couple more drafts like your last 2 and the blues will have fixed some of the errors made a few years ago.
i think you may look back on the Gibbs trade and wish you'd taken it though.
Access to a SPP, Marshall, Gallucci or English (plus anything else you got from Adelaide, Lyons perhaps?) seemed like a good move given the profile of the list.

Fisher will be the one to burden a cross. Much like Morgan will do with us from 2015.
Drew, Atley, Begley, Bolton were very good talents to overlook.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
How is his preseason going?

Has mental poise which will allow him to get best from his natural ability.
He was my dream selection and its become a reality, this lad will explode on the scene as soon as Bolton thinks it's time to release him , he'll do much to repair our trade mishaps and incompetences of the Hughes & Rogers era.
Very exciting prospects he and Pickett , they'll just tear it up once they get up and running. Hard to keep a lid on.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
He was my dream selection and its become a reality, this lad will explode on the scene as soon as Bolton thinks it's time to release him , he'll do much to repair our trade mishaps and incompetences of the Hughes & Rogers era.
Very exciting prospects he and Pickett , they'll just tear it up once they get up and running. Hard to keep a lid on.

He was my dream pick too.
Is he running at full pace in training? Have you or anyone else seen him shine in drills?

I would love to hear evidence that his potential is being realised. I'd even cheer for Carlton over 16 other teams if that happens.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
was rated #1 for a bit there for a reason.

Between him, mcgrath, mccluggage, taranto and setterfield for the best in this draft imo.
A couple more drafts like your last 2 and the blues will have fixed some of the errors made a few years ago.
i think you may look back on the Gibbs trade and wish you'd taken it though.
Access to a SPP, Marshall, Gallucci or English (plus anything else you got from Adelaide, Lyons perhaps?) seemed like a good move given the profile of the list.

Fisher will be the one to burden a cross. Much like Morgan will do with us from 2015.
Drew, Atley, Begley, Bolton were very good talents to overlook.

Yep Silvagni and Bolton have sobered us up at last, revitalized the culture and have set bright prospects. It was looking like the aftermath of the Hughes&Rogers would keep up down infinitum.
Bolton now has quite a few talented
youngsters to develop its almost unbelievable turnaround, with more at 2017 season's intake.
Agee with you on Gibbs secanario could have been let go, however 2017 draft is another great pool and may be more suitable for our needs, a good class KPF so I'd be happy to let him go this year.
Have't followed Fisher much but preliminary signs are good.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
forgot you picked up Pickett as well.
Hopefully he is over the injury. Was one of the kids i was looking forward to seeing when he was drafted.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yep Silvagni and Bolton have sobered us up at last, revitalized the culture and have set bright prospects. It was looking like the aftermath of the Hughes&Rogers would keep up down infinitum.
Bolton now has quite a few talented
youngsters to develop its almost unbelievable turnaround, with more at 2017 season's intake.
Agee with you on Gibbs secanario could have been let go, however 2017 draft is another great pool and may be more suitable for our needs, a good class KPF so I'd be happy to let him go this year.
Have't followed Fisher much but preliminary signs are good.
i have zero clue on Fisher, and even if he is a bust, you have had enough recent hits to be able to take gambles.
Just a shame you can't wind the clock back on Simpson 3-4 years. I reckon he could lead this group of kids to something of a revival at Carlton.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
i have zero clue on Fisher, and even if he is a bust, you have had enough recent hits to be able to take gambles.
Just a shame you can't wind the clock back on Simpson 3-4 years. I reckon he could lead this group of kids to something of a revival at Carlton.

Agree totally love Simpson's game ethos , great courage and comraderee.
He should have been our captain a while ago. Hopefully he'll persevere for another year he deserves the 300 game achivements and show the youngsters the love of the game.

Back