Review Winners and Losers - 2016 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Port did amazing in this draft

3/4 draftees are in the squad of 25 this week

Marshall: young forward already showing he knows how to kick goals and have a real impact

SPP: you know already

Atley: consistent through the JLT, unlucky to miss round 1

Drew: Has been in the best players for the port magpies in every trial game and made the squad of 25 this week.

Port did amazing in this draft

3/4 draftees are in the squad of 25 this week

Marshall: young forward already showing he knows how to kick goals and have a real impact

SPP: you know already

Atley: consistent through the JLT, unlucky to miss round 1

Drew: Has been in the best players for the port magpies in every trial game and made the squad of 25 this week.
Incredibly early, can't tell yet.
SPP obviously looks a player

McGrath - obviously out there and playing pretty well. I think he can transition to midfield from next year if required but more likely 2-3 years if I look at our list.
Begley - I think he has a lot of potential. Will start his career as a small/medium forward before moving into the midfield. Kicked 4 goals on debut in JLT. Guys like Green, Howlett and Bird I think will keep him out of the side for the time being unless he really bangs the door down in the VFL. He does have a very solid build on him and is a great kick.
Ridley - Was looking very promising in JLT with his disposal from half back. Unfortunately got a stress related injury in his back and is still at least 6 weeks away. I think he will be a good one but probably won't see him much this year.
Mutch - Has impressed a few people with his ability to find the ball and to kick with either foot quite proficiently. Seems a fair way off senior footy with his build.
Clarke - Great ball winner and aerobic capacity but ordinary ball user.
Draper - Taken as a rookie ruck and had a slow start to the preseason as he was quite new to AFL. Seems to be going well in the VFL which is about all you can ask for from a young ruck.

Overall: First 3 players look like great AFL prospects with McGrath pretty much a certainty to be a good player. The other 3 all reasonable prospects but have a fair bit of work ahead of them.

For all the negativity about SOS he seems to have made some astute selections:
SPS (selection 6) - played every game and looks an absolute jet
Williamson (selection 61) - has played 6 games and has settled in to our back 6 very nicely. May be managed soon as was one of the youngest in the draft, having just turned 18 in December 2016.
Fisher (selection 25) - has played 4 games (still very small so will need to build up to be a consistent AFL player, but has showed all the skills)
MacReadie (selection 47) - has played 5 games and looked very steady at AFL level
Polson (selection 59) - has played 1 game. Showing some very good form in the VFL and is developing nicely
Kerr (selection 65) - only player from this draft not to play at AFL level. Is a KPF who is developing at a very nice pace in the VFL.

Not saying all will make it, but after 8 rounds the signs are very promising; particularly when players selected in the 40's, 50's and 60's are being selected on merit.

Genuine question....has any other team debuted that many players from the 2016 draft?

For all the negativity about SOS he seems to have made some astute selections:
SPS (selection 6) - played every game and looks an absolute jet
Williamson (selection 61) - has played 6 games and has settled in to our back 6 very nicely. May be managed soon as was one of the youngest in the draft, having just turned 18 in December 2016.
Fisher (selection 25) - has played 4 games (still very small so will need to build up to be a consistent AFL player, but has showed all the skills)
MacReadie (selection 47) - has played 5 games and looked very steady at AFL level
Polson (selection 59) - has played 1 game. Showing some very good form in the VFL and is developing nicely
Kerr (selection 65) - only player from this draft not to play at AFL level. Is a KPF who is developing at a very nice pace in the VFL.

Not saying all will make it, but after 8 rounds the signs are very promising; particularly when players selected in the 40's, 50's and 60's are being selected on merit.

Genuine question....has any other team debuted that many players from the 2016 draft?

Not sure this says so much positive about those players but moreso a reflection on the rest of the list.

Venables is going to be an elite midfielder, hopefully with West Coast.

I think Rotham projects highly as a midfielder, hopefully he can harness the talent although it's a fair bit less likely than Venables doing so, so that's a wait and see.

Rioli could be a good role player for us, as could Waterman if he can get on the park.

I suspect it will be our best draft since 2013 (Sheed & Barrass).

I'm sure McGrath will be a decent prospect but besides his pace he looks kinda out of his depth a bit which is understandable of course given he hasn't played AFL level footy yet. McCluggage on the other hand looks comfortable and played fairly decently given he missed the second quarter of footy after having his eye split open. Can't wait until he adds a bit of size... he is a goal kicking midfield freak that is a step ahead of the play.

Yep, so out of his depth...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure this says so much positive about those players but moreso a reflection on the rest of the list.

Was going to shoot back however thought about it and you are correct, Silvagni is drafting astutely compared to the train wreck of a recruiting department that came before him which resulted in.......the rest of the list.

Very fair to say that at a distance, but having watched all the guys closely, this is easily the most interesting and surprising talent that has come through Carltons doors in the one hit. I doubt there has ever been 7 players that would be ticked from a single draft but four that look to have many AFL traits are:

Petrevski-Seton - Simply a wonderful talent that had the coaches in awe at times in the pre-season.
Fisher - Clean, energetic, finds plenty of the ball and a good user (other than his right foot)
Macreadie - I'm 'shocked' that we got him in the mid 40's. Beautiful mover for his size. Has speed, skills and poise.
Williamson - Not sure what he was doing in his last year of TAC, for not getting picked up earlier. He has everything.

After that:

Polson - Quick thinking inside mid that kicks goals. Has good burst speed and manoeuvres well through traffic.
Kerr - He's really surprised me to date, but not sure of his fit at AFL level. Plenty of good qualities but maybe a little too one-paced and straight in line.
LeBois - Only the one game played but he's rated at the club. Much too early to make any comment on.

I just had a look at the 2014 verson of this thread. Interestingly i'm still not sure if most of the posters were wrong or right. But, yes it seems that Caleb Daniel WAS a very good pickup for the dogs.

Well, he was the number 1 ranked Champion Data player for his year.

Very fair to say that at a distance, but having watched all the guys closely, this is easily the most interesting and surprising talent that has come through Carltons doors in the one hit. I doubt there has ever been 7 players that would be ticked from a single draft but four that look to have many AFL traits are:

Petrevski-Seton - Simply a wonderful talent that had the coaches in awe at times in the pre-season.
Fisher - Clean, energetic, finds plenty of the ball and a good user (other than his right foot)
Macreadie - I'm 'shocked' that we got him in the mid 40's. Beautiful mover for his size. Has speed, skills and poise.
Williamson - Not sure what he was doing in his last year of TAC, for not getting picked up earlier. He has everything.

After that:

Polson - Quick thinking inside mid that kicks goals. Has good burst speed and manoeuvres well through traffic.
Kerr - He's really surprised me to date, but not sure of his fit at AFL level. Plenty of good qualities but maybe a little too one-paced and straight in line.
LeBois - Only the one game played but he's rated at the club. Much too early to make any comment on.
And you could argue that Alex Silvagni is the best performed player from the 2016 draft as a second round rookie selection (albeit as a very mature rookie)

Not all other clubs? Just a lot you say.

Who are the other clubs that wont be rueing not picking him?
I doubt Essendon will. He's really good but we're covered in that area. Plus he was never going to go #1

Not all other clubs? Just a lot you say.

Who are the other clubs that wont be rueing not picking him?

What type of question is that?

Put it this way, I think there will be a decent number of clubs who drafted before
The clubs who didn't have a pick before Hayward went

Umm... this?? And some of the clubs that picked before 21?

Pretty simple really, I think there will be a decent number of clubs that picked in the top 20 who will regret not taking him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back