Review Winners and Losers - 2016 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Lucky for Dordoro - not sure he would survive butchering another top end draft pick. 13 years building a list without a finals win would have to be a record.

Luckily for him his best drafting (imo) has come in the last few years.

Hard to move a bloke on whos done a great job the last few years. Could have made a case for it a few seasons ago.

Lucky for Dordoro - not sure he would survive butchering another top end draft pick. 13 years building a list without a finals win would have to be a record.
Ryder, Gumbleton, Myers, Hurley, Melksham, Heppell, Kav, Daniher, Merrett, Langford, Parish, McGrath
Plus Laverde and Francis - who are still under 21 and working through fitness, not skill, issues.

Melksham the weakest of that bunch, but landed Carlisle and Colyer later. not the greatest 1st rd of picks that draft.
Kav was more a 2nd rounder but in a compromised draft, that ended up being our 1st. Greene, Smith, Adams or Docherty would be nice right now.

not sure you'd say he butchered any of them really.

Pretty sure there were tons of Essendon supporters claiming Merrett as a gun before round 1 of his debut year.
Yeah nah, there weren't at all. What are you talking about?

He was a pick 27 who took up footy late and all most supporters knew was that he was the younger brother of a fairly average and inconsistent player.

In fact I'm fairly sure more were unhappy we didn't go for Lobb or bloody Dayle Garlett than were claiming Merrett would be a gun, as there was simply no real basis for thinking so. Hence why he wasn't a top 10 pick

Last edited:
Yeah nah, there weren't at all. What are you talking about?

He was a pick 27 who took up footy late and all most supporters knew was that he was the younger brother of a fairly average and inconsistent player.

In fact I'm fairly sure more were unhappy we didn't go for Lobb or bloody Dayle Garlett than were claiming Merrett would be a gun, as there was simply no real basis for thinking so. Hence why he wasn't a top 10 pick

I'm talking after NAB cup. I agree with the above as post draft thoughts.

Witherden starting to dominate in the neafl after coming off a broken leg. Expect him to debut soon and put his elite kicking on show

You can never replace Corey Enright...

But Tom Stewart @ pick 40 has been stellar for us.

Played about 10 games and is well ahead of the first year player curve IMO.

Bias? - sure -but not without reason.

GO Catters

GO Catters
Stewart has been great, I mentioned him on our board pre the draft as someone I would have liked to pick up.

Ryder, Gumbleton, Myers, Hurley, Melksham, Heppell, Kav, Daniher, Merrett, Langford, Parish, McGrath
Plus Laverde and Francis - who are still under 21 and working through fitness, not skill, issues.

Melksham the weakest of that bunch, but landed Carlisle and Colyer later. not the greatest 1st rd of picks that draft.
Kav was more a 2nd rounder but in a compromised draft, that ended up being our 1st. Greene, Smith, Adams or Docherty would be nice right now.

Gumby, Kav, Melksham are crap, Myers his whole career has been a set back.
Heppell, Hurley, Daniher & Merrett guns, McGrath & Parish well on their way

Francis, Langford and Laverde just potential at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GO Catters
Been very good, and sure is a bargain at pick 40.

However, I struggle to see much potential/growth if any from here onwards.

Mediocre disposals, decent defensive ability, ok intercept marking capability. Will be serviceable, can't ever see him being a game winner.

Not gumbleton? o.o

Been very good, and sure is a bargain at pick 40.

However, I struggle to see much potential/growth if any from here onwards.

Mediocre disposals, decent defensive ability, ok intercept marking capability. Will be serviceable, can't ever see him being a game winner.
Id take a 100 games from pick 40 everyday of the week.

I get what you are saying about a higher bar - but maybe his peak is 10% above where he's at now.

Not everyone will be Boris or Scarlo...

I will however take a bloke coached by both of them who does his best.

Go Catters

Id take a 100 games from pick 40 everyday of the week.

I get what you are saying about a higher bar - but maybe his peak is 10% above where he's at now.

Not everyone will be Boris or Scarlo...

I will however take a bloke coached by both of them who does his best.

Go Catters
You should be happy with him definitely. Just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page before I see Stewart in a random Geelong poster's top 5...

You should be happy with him definitely. Just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page before I see Stewart in a random Geelong poster's top 5...
You well might. its an opinion based forum after all.

I just dont see it yet - but id luv to be 100% wrong.

GO Catters

Not gumbleton? o.o
Gumbys body let everyone down more than a recruiting error, never really got a chance.

While thatstill amounts to a wasted pick 2 (not good) it is not just the fault of the recruiter

Most other clubs had him around that pick as well IIRC. Like all clubs have stories of, he is a cruel warning tale of injuries galore

Gumbys body let everyone down more than a recruiting error, never really got a chance.

While thatstill amounts to a wasted pick 2 (not good) it is not just the fault of the recruiter

Most other clubs had him around that pick as well IIRC. Like all clubs have stories of, he is a cruel warning tale of injuries galore
When he was a bottom aged player before his draft year Gumby was preferred by WA ahead of Josh Kennedy.

Gumby was a bit of a loss to the game.

I think most clubs are going to be claiming they've got a bargain or two from this draft because the draft was just so amazingly deep. Guys selected in the 5th round might have went late first in other years.
Agree. I think the draft will be seen as the deepest in history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back