Review Winners and Losers - 2016 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not saying he'll never be good. Just that there are alot of question marks over him which is probably why most teams passed on him, despite the fact he was one of the few KPFs available. At the pick the Saints got him at though they can't really go wrong.

Happy we filled up on midfielders and left the drafting of KPPs until next year.
I realise he's pretty one-dimensional, but like Membrey, he just gets the job done, from what I've seen of him (and from the number of goals he kicks) and at the end of the day that's what's most important.

I'm not worried about him being lazy, because Mick Ablett (National Development Manager) was a huge wrap for him on the coverage tonight (said he thought he could have gone top 20 and that he was only just starting to realise his potential, amongst other things) and he's obviously had a lot to do with Josh at the AIS Academy, so he'd know him better than almost anyone. He was extremely effusive in his praise for him.

Josh also trained with us as part of the AIS program last preseason, so we would have seen first-hand what his work-ethic, attitude and so-on were like, and presumably wouldn't have picked him if we thought it was as you suggested.

He's also still only in year 11, so he's a year behind possibly all this draft class as far as that goes and there's been plenty in recent weeks who say he's now 194cm, so if that's true and he's still growing, he might even end up genuine key-position height.

From an outsider's perspective...

Brisbane and Carlton the big winners, love their selections.

Think the Dockers did very well. As did Port.

Gold Coast would have had to do horribly to mess it up, so did what they had to do.

I don't think Bolton was a great pick with Richmond's first. Though to be fair they may have just taken him as best available which is understandable enough.

Best tall defender, arguably the best ruckman, the best young player in the VFL and another tallish defender.

I think Freo have done pretty well, and couldn't done much better as far as balancing out the list goes.

do fremantle need that many tall defenders. you have some really good ones already in alex pearce (CHB) and sam collins (FB). add to that logue who will be an amazing player and hamling who has proven himself at the WB this year...

why is there a need to take brennan? is it just a depth selection?

I'm not saying he'll never be good. Just that there are alot of question marks over him which is probably why most teams passed on him, despite the fact he was one of the few KPFs available. At the pick the Saints got him at though they can't really go wrong.

Happy we filled up on midfielders and left the drafting of KPPs until next year.

rumour is he did a laverde...

At least the post trade period evaluation makes some sense. The post draft evaluation means absolutely nothing until they've had a chance to play some footy.

There would be countless examples where a team has 'won' on the day only to be losers in the long run. Some examples that come to mind is Essendon 2006 (where literally everyone was patting us on the back for a great draft) and Melbourne when they had 4 picks in the first 18 including the top 2 and took Scully, Trengove, Gysberts and Tapscott.

As long as your club goes best available with high picks and is able to fill needs with later picks its probably a good result at this stage.

He's also still only in year 11, so he's a year behind possibly all this draft class as far as that goes and there's been plenty in recent weeks who say he's now 194cm, so if that's true and he's still growing, he might even end up genuine key-position height.

Didn't realise he was still in year 11. He's still got the 1998 birthday so maybe he got held back a year for some reason.

It is a great point you make and Graham is one of several I think will be ready for round one and wont look back. Powell Pepper, Begley, Dylan Clark, Berry too and a few others fell away in popularity merely because they were more bulky and slower compared to the other lighter guys and skill level supposedly not as good. Cant believe some who have rubbished Clark's late selection.....cant have watched the championships closely. All these fellas will be very good no question. Well done on Graham a good get

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If McClug doesn't head home between years 2-5 then it was the right call. But if he ends up going home there will be a mob of lions supporters ready to burn the Gabba to the ground. Especially since they had a player worthy of that pick that came out and said he wants to come to Brisbane! That phrase doesn't get bandied around much. I think it'll work out for them though.

IMO if the kangas wanted a defender, there were probably better options available.
Wouldn't them not matching point more towards them not rating him that highly, they would know the player pretty well.
Williams I can understand more as he is a running half back type, which is a need for North.
Didn't realise he was rated that highly.
Are you happy with the two picks in the 30's ?
Swans didn't match Dunkley, and he's a premiership player in his first year.

do fremantle need that many tall defenders. you have some really good ones already in alex pearce (CHB) and sam collins (FB). add to that logue who will be an amazing player and hamling who has proven himself at the WB this year...

why is there a need to take brennan? is it just a depth selection?

I think the game plan would be Hamling and Pearce with Collins the reserve. Logue you'd think plays that flexible third tall role. Cox would be doing his apprenticeship for a season or two I'd imagine.

Depth/succession is always important regardless.

I think many teams did decently.

Gold Coast Essendon, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sydney were the stand outs for me

Carlton, Port Adelaide and Fremantle were probably the next group behind these guys that did well in my opinion.

Things can change (and probably will) over time, but this is what I am seeing at the moment.

Completely agree. Down year next year plus throw ridiculous money at a free agent. Then use 2018 draft for the father sons and academy picks.
Would that be the draft where one of your F/S instead nominates as a Swans academy player?

huh?

I'd say we're pretty middle of the park in this draft, that said no one does scream certain star in our crop just yet.

If there is one thing you blokes have got right it's drafting so I wouldn't be worried what bloatedsherrin thinks.

Keeping them will be the challenge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back