Review Winners and losers 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon- Huge get with Shiel but will their lack of presence in 3 straight drafts hurt them? Will need to find a few diamonds in the rough. Jury out but I like what they did

We might suffer eventually but its probably going to be 5+ years away before it happens considering our picks were all used on blokes that have about 5-7 years left (could even be more). Last year was pretty big for us with Smith, Stringer and Saad plus we found Guelfi with a late pick (15 games as a young mature ager at 21) and many are raving about Brandon Zerk-Thatcher.

Plus we'll still have 3 second rounders between this draft and next to use so definitely still involved even though not a strong hand obviously.

And there's what keeps him from being a genuine A grader, consistency (or lack of).

Had a couple of down years, but I think you're marking him hard if you don't rate him as A grade. 2AAs and a B&F at the age of 25 is pretty A grade achievement in any playing career compared to the vast majority of players who never achieve those accolades over their entire careers. And when you watch him play you can see he is an elite talent. Im still surprised Port traded him TBH, its not often that marquee talents get moved on so I think someones gone pretty wrong between him and the PAFC but not complaining from a Hawks perspective

This trade period will be fascinating to look at in about 5 years.

So many questions involving the trades of Scully, Wingard, Hannebury, Hogan, Shiel, May and Beams for both clubs in all those trades.

All those players have had various issues but all at their best are very good players. .

I didn't include Neale as I think he is a no risk trade for both clubs involved.

As for the other traded players such as Lobb and Polec etc, I don't really rate those players as big fish.

We needed run - Polec just finished 5th in Ports B&F and can run. Hall in a better side will offer more run through the middle and Pittard in an attacking side will add more run from the backline.

Tyson keeps Ziebell forward. He is a much better medium forward than midfielder. If his goal kicking can improve from the 35.29 as well as being a permanent forward he should be looking at pushing into the top 15 in the goal kicking comp.

I agree with Jay.
JAY CLARK SAYS: Super trade period for the Roos, despite missing Andrew Gaff. Aaron Hall was an absolute bargain and can light up games, while Jasper Pittard and Jared Polec add some electric outside midfield run. Dom Tyson will play 20 matches onball, helping keep Jack Ziebell forward. Plus they still have salary cap room for Josh Kelly next year.

GRADE: A

Polec, IMO, add plenty of run yes, but doesn't win games. Even when he played well , it didn't mean Port were in a better position to win the game. I'm not saying he is a bad player, he is ok, but his good games still don't influence results often enough.

Hall struggled to play well in the worst team in the comp. Good players don't do that. Even if it's just because of attitude, it is a sign of character. He may play well but what will happen when it gets tough for North. Being dropped from the suns over the last couple of years isn't a vote of confidence.

I actually like Pittard, but he just turns the ball over too much, and usually in bad positions for his team. He wasn't getting a game at Port, why would he suddenly push someone out at North.

I agree with you Tyson scenario, but it does rely a lot on Ziebell hitting the scoreboard. if he doesn't, you've got another inside mid taking up space.

As I said, good on North for having a crack, but not being able to lure the TRUE A Grader hurts, and the more they miss out on, the harder IMO it will be to land the next one.

Polec, IMO, add plenty of run yes, but doesn't win games. Even when he played well , it didn't mean Port were in a better position to win the game. I'm not saying he is a bad player, he is ok, but his good games still don't influence results often enough.

Hall struggled to play well in the worst team in the comp. Good players don't do that. Even if it's just because of attitude, it is a sign of character. He may play well but what will happen when it gets tough for North. Being dropped from the suns over the last couple of years isn't a vote of confidence.

I actually like Pittard, but he just turns the ball over too much, and usually in bad positions for his team. He wasn't getting a game at Port, why would he suddenly push someone out at North.

I agree with you Tyson scenario, but it does rely a lot on Ziebell hitting the scoreboard. if he doesn't, you've got another inside mid taking up space.

As I said, good on North for having a crack, but not being able to lure the TRUE A Grader hurts, and the more they miss out on, the harder IMO it will be to land the next one.
I am not worried about JZ forward. 35 goals and played as a part time mid is a good result. He also teams well with Brown by helping block etc. He is a great tackler as well and is good at locking the ball in.

Last chance for Hall which can bring out the best in players. For a late pick he is worth the risk imo.

We also bring in a top 10 talented kid in Thomas and Scott who is in the mid 20 range. All by using 3rd and 4th round picks. A couple of a bargains

I think a lot of clubs did good business this year.

GWS freed up the cap and got good picks in for Shiel. Seemed to give Setterfield and Scully away rather cheaply, but perhaps they know what they're doing
Dons added the elite mid they needed.
Hawks curiously let a talented kid go (they don't have many to spare), but did pick up a big plus in Wingard. Scully could be the greatest bargain since Tom Mitchell.
Freo landed their man in Hogan and more ruck depth in Lobb to pair with Darcy. Their talls are set.
Dees getting May and KK have added even more talent to their list
Port i think did very well landing Lycett, Burton and the picks needed to have a crack at some good SA talent in the draft
Lions adding Neale suits their age profile more than Beams (and quietly i think Neale is a fraction better)
Pies add another gun midfielder in Beams, and kept Langdon & Moore.
Tigers got Lynch for free. ridiculously good by them.

Cats and Dogs didn't do much.
Surprised Carlton didn't try move Pick 1 into a haul from Adelaide...who may take a breather now and look to add back some of the depth they've lost.
Eagles were unlucky not to get their main target whilst losing Lycett for Hickey is not ideal on paper. But for a reigning premier, that's not too bad

Can't really call out a clear winner or loser.

Thomas was a gun runner with decent footy smarts. Hanneberry is a gun footballer all round. Just needs to get his body right which I'm ripping he will
images

:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel that threads like this are mostly useless until the picks trades are used and have a couple of years in the system..

Agree but People like to Predict so IF they are Right they can tell us how smart they are;)

Richmond won. They gained Tom Lynch as a free agent, lost nobody of value.

Though they lost a Lot of Depth which could hurt them.

Same thing Happened when Collingwood got Trelor

Collingwood- Kept Langdon & brought in Beams for unders when you consider their academy selections. I would have moved on Moore if I was them though to free up cap space & try to get back into the draft this year or next

Too Much Talent and Upside for Moore to be Moved.

would want a Pick in the Top 5 to Move Moore and that was never going to Happen

Freo and North are the ones for me for differing reasons.

Freo because they picked up the Gun KPF they have been wanting for years at a fair price. I thought 2 firsts was the going rate for Hogan, to get him for less is a bonus. Lobb is in the perfect position to thrive as a 70-30 forward ruck now.
Matera Hogan Walters
McCarthy Lobb Ballantyne
That is the most dangerous forwardline they have had for years.

North because they addressed their to do list perfectly.
Outside Midfield speed? Check (Polec and Hall
Rebounding half back with pace? Check (Pittard)
Midfield depth to allow Ziebell to play more forward? Check
Pick swaps to ensure they secure academy and F/s prospects? Check.
Efficiency is key, and North ticked all the boxes they wanted to. Thats a clear win.

tbh i dont think anyone but port themselves and media sycophants thought port did well last year, and didnt think it would change ports fortunes.
Yeah sure, no one thought Port did well... whatever.

Though they lost a Lot of Depth which could hurt them.

Same thing Happened when Collingwood got Trelor

No we didnt, and we didnt give up 2 first rounders like you did with treloar

The only one i think is a loss is Lloyd, all the others were list cloggers and will be replaced by kids which will only make us better in the long term

No point having a promising forward line if there is no one to get them the ball. Freo's midfield will be extremely thin when Fyfe gets suspended and injured next year.

Fyfe, Mundy, Blakeley, Brad Hill, Langdon, Stephen Hill, Cerra, Brayshaw is not a bad starting point.

We have many youngsters who could step up; Tucker, North, Banfield, Giro, Crowden...Tucker is one I think who’ll surprise a few next year.

We might suffer eventually but its probably going to be 5+ years away before it happens considering our picks were all used on blokes that have about 5-7 years left (could even be more). Last year was pretty big for us with Smith, Stringer and Saad plus we found Guelfi with a late pick (15 games as a young mature ager at 21) and many are raving about Brandon Zerk-Thatcher.

Plus we'll still have 3 second rounders between this draft and next to use so definitely still involved even though not a strong hand obviously.
We gave up 2 first rounders for Treloar.

While it seemed a lot at the time, turned out ok.

Wingard is the definition of an A grader, elite talent, when he plays well he is a cut above
You say he is an A grader, but then say when he plays well.

A grader's play well every week like Dusty, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Pendlebury etc.

Wingard is not an A grader.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back