Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Carlton fans are so weird bunch , before getting Martin Carlton fans said GCS never offer 15 and 20. Now said Richmond want Sam Phiip. Is not hard to know why Geelong and Port reject Carlton pick 9 offer and GCS come back for pick 9 because GCS did offer those pick and Martin for pick 9. Nothing wrong with keeping pick 9 hoping to get Stephen, young or Serong but do said GCS did not offer 15,20 and fabricate Richmond wanting Sam philp just LOL material.

Last edited:

Carlton fans are so weird bunch , before getting Martin Carlton fans said GCS never offer 15 and 20. Now said Richmond want Sam Phiip. Is not hard to know why Geelong and Port reject Carlton pick 9 offer and GCS come back for pick 9 because GCS did offer those pick and Martin for pick 9. Nothing wrong with keeping pick 9 hoping to get Stephen, young or Serong but do said GCS did not offer 15,20 and fabricate Richmond wanting Sam philp just LOL material.

Talk about weird, yesterday you told us the Suns offered 15, 20 and Martin for pick 9, and Silvagni rejected it.

When prompted to prove it, you once again went silent. I wonder why?

You know what they say; either put up, or shut up.

Brisbane rated Ely Smith higher than both Stocker and RCD last year.

Our draft board went Duursma then Ely Smith.

And that’s from our recruiters at our draft function last year, during the draft, before any of those players were drafted.

This 100% did not happen. I understand the conjecture from posters on who rates who, it's bloody interesting to discuss and speculate on who rated who, especially with live trading.

But do you really expect us to believe that a) your draft board was revealed to you during the live draft and b) that your recruiters, who were strangely at some function and not in the clubs draft room, delivered this info to the general public? C'mon...

can you give a 2nd example or we sticking with oliver?

Not only did Oliver not make the the u/18 carnival, he was (ridiculously) cut by the Bendigo Pioneers as a bottom ager, forcing him to get fruity with his address and play for the Murray Bushrangers the following year. Bizarre.

Bayley Fritsch missed selection for the Eastern Ranges, let alone Vic Metro.
Michael Barlow was the same, played country senior footy instead.
Will Powell went in the first round two years ago, only played WAFL colts.
Harry O'Brien (Lamumba) only got drafted by sending in video tapes and/or letters to clubs.
Dean Cox
Tom Stewart
Michael Hibberd
Jeff Garlett
Marcus Adams

Would be dozens more, this took me 2 mins.

This 100% did not happen. I understand the conjecture from posters on who rates who, it's bloody interesting to discuss and speculate on who rated who, especially with live trading.

But do you really expect us to believe that a) your draft board was revealed to you during the live draft and b) that your recruiters, who were strangely at some function and not in the clubs draft room, delivered this info to the general public? C'mon...
You were at the Lions draft function were you?

Each year the club holds a draft function in Melbourne, which is run by Sam Lord, and attended by our recruiters who aren’t in our draft room.

The recruiters will tell us who we rate, who we don’t for which ever reasons, usually considered a major go home risk, and who we like for our picks.

So last year, before our first pick, the recruiters told the function that we really liked Jye Caldwell, Xavier Duursma and then Ely Smith.

So everyone has there fingers crossed that Caldwell falls to our pick. When he gets drafted, there’s a groan, but then the focus falls to Duursma.

While the draft is happening, they talk about each pick, as it goes, and who they believe each team will draft at their pick. They’re usually right for the first round.

Last year the Lions held a two night draft function.

This year it was changed to the Friday night after the draft. The first time in 5 years the event was held during the draft.

It’s well known about and reported on the Lions board each year.

Every year, this gets mentioned on here about the Lions function, with your response being typical for noobs to the draft forum.

But regular posters to the draft forum know we have the function every year, and information from it slowly drip feeds on to the forum.

Information from this years event is only starting to appear on the Lions forum today.

you really dont see how kelly and philo are worlds apart?

kudos for giving two examples though
Seems someone else gave you the effort you wanted, either way it's happened more then a few times.

There a lot of kids in country area's that don't even get a look in, under 180cm and you are rubbed out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only did Oliver not make the the u/18 carnival, he was (ridiculously) cut by the Bendigo Pioneers as a bottom ager, forcing him to get fruity with his address and play for the Murray Bushrangers the following year. Bizarre.

Harry O'Brien (Lamumba) only got drafted by sending in video tapes and/or letters to clubs.
Dean Cox
Tom Stewart
Michael Hibberd
Jeff Garlett
Marcus Adams

75% of the WA draftees only play WAFL Colts.

from my PoV
Essendon - Jones, Bryan, Cahill, L.Johnson (rookie) Hibberd - 3rd/4th best ruck, over-hyped Jones, Cahill a good pick and L.Johnson lucky to be drafted B-

Just curious who was ahead of Nick Bryan as U18 ruckmen? Obviously Luke Jackson the clear standout but its seemingly impossible to split that next group of kids imho. Apart from that, a fair enough assesment even if I don't want to hear it. 👍

Dean Cox
Tom Stewart
Michael Hibberd
Jeff Garlett
Marcus Adams

Fritsch, Hibberd and Barlow all won the VFL's rising star award to showcase (often) in front of AFL player spotters there credentials. Fritsch and Barlow just couldn't make it into (then TAC) NAB league enviroments, having seen that age group of Hibberd come through (he is a year younger than myself) and taking an interest, he was arguarbly Dandenong's best player in that fateful day where Steele Sidebottom announced himself with a 10 goal TAC Cup grand final haul and was (imho) very unlucky not to be drafted anyways.

Pick 11 will turn into pick 18-20 next year after bids. In a weaker draft it’s about even
Why do people keep pedalling this? It doesn't matter where the pick shifts to if the same players are on the table. The only thing that changes is the points value of the pick.

Why do people keep pedalling this? It doesn't matter where the pick shifts to if the same players are on the table. The only thing that changes is the points value of the pick.

I'd of thought it to be obvious.....Because of the compromised Academy & F/S systems, a team with an initial Pick 11 - instead of getting the 11th best kid in the country - gets lumbered with the 18th best kid in the country.....It's not rocket science....Just simple math.

I'd of thought it to be obvious.....Because of the compromised Academy & F/S systems, a team with an initial Pick 11 - instead of getting the 11th best kid in the country - gets lumbered with the 18th best kid in the country.....It's not rocket science....Just simple math.
Well the 11th best kid is going to be picked up by the club that's tied to him 49/50 times. The net result for the draft is zero since the same players are left after that highly rated kid inevitably goes to his tied club.

Well the 11th best kid is going to be picked up by the club that's tied to him 49/50 times. The net result for the draft is zero since the same players are left after that highly rated kid inevitably goes to his tied club.

No it's not, as you even admitted yourself.....The points depreciation for sliding down from 11 to 18 - as result of the Academy/F-S picks - is significant.

Not only that, clubs are loathe to bid on Guns, such as Green -too early - save the same thing should happen to them down the track.

The entire thing has become a bloody shambles....To quote me old mate, Ted Bullpit..

Okay the net result is marginal and really, negligible.

If that was the case, then we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place….And nor would it be such a significant talking point round the 2020 Draft being so utterly compromised.

A lot people parrot what they've read without knowing what they're talking about. To be fair we're all guilty of doing this at times

Fritsch, Hibberd and Barlow all won the VFL's rising star award to showcase (often) in front of AFL player spotters there credentials. Fritsch and Barlow just couldn't make it into (then TAC) NAB league enviroments, having seen that age group of Hibberd come through (he is a year younger than myself) and taking an interest, he was arguarbly Dandenong's best player in that fateful day where Steele Sidebottom announced himself with a 10 goal TAC Cup grand final haul and was (imho) very unlucky not to be drafted anyways.

The poster I was responding to, was criticising the choice of a player who wasn't selected for the u/18 national carnival. I was illuminating him to the fact that it probably means s**t.

Can't really work out if your response is pro or against that, or really how it is relevant to the conversation...

The poster I was responding to, was criticising the choice of a player who wasn't selected for the u/18 national carnival. I was illuminating him to the fact that it probably means s**t.

Can't really work out if your response is pro or against that, or really how it is relevant to the conversation...
I have no idea what your trying to imply here but my response was that once a player shows his qualities it's hard to ignore them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back