Review Winners and losers, 2021 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Winner

Matt Rendell, imagine getting paid to talk about something you have no idea about.

I'm amazed they've escaped the media wrath to be honest.

I guess our non-existent 'fire sale' was of more interest.
There is no doubt the Hawks wanted more picks in the top 20 and put up players they thought would have have interest to deliver them that.
It seems Hawk fans are really upset by the term 'firesale'. The fact is that they over-estimated the value of their 'stars' and/or no-one was interested in moving to Western Sydney (even with the prospect of the Hawks paying large chucks of their salaries).

In the end, the Hawks failed miserably in their objective. They didn't obtain the extra picks they were looking for and have been left with the aging players they thought had the most currency. Maybe not a 'firesale' as such. However, maybe they would have been better off letting at least one go for a pick in the mid 20s.

I'm sure the club walked away thinking the trading period didn't turn out they way they wanted and will now move to plan B.

Because North think JHF is the #1 player in the draft.
I'm sure if the Pies had pick 2, they would have bid. As it stands, probably little impact on them bidding v making their own kid the number 1. I think it's the first time North have had the first pick in the draft.

If a player wants to go for compassionate reasons why don't we have a silent auction on the player, where all clubs interested out a bid in and the club chooses, people are sick of seeing players choose a club, it's outdated and boring and the AFL should allow clubs to trade players in the their 3rd year and above to wherever without the players consent, this is a borefest this system and its not a fair system to provide equality for the league
That's a media narrative. If a team wants a player they'll almost always offer a fair deal. Why would a team who wants a player less than another side offer a better offer?

Sometimes teams get a slightly better or worse deal but the clubs are almost always fair.

The system isn't so broken as to start sending players where they don't want to go against their wishes. Imagine if it was your job and you had to go play for a team where you don't like the coach and there isn't a spot in the 22 for you, that's not fair at all.

The answer is eventually expanding free agency, we're slowly heading the way, but for now the system actually works well. It's only if you get caught up in the media rubbish that you think it doesn't.

There is no doubt the Hawks wanted more picks in the top 20 and put up players they thought would have have interest to deliver them that.
It seems Hawk fans are really upset by the term 'firesale'. The fact is that they over-estimated the value of their 'stars' and/or no-one was interested in moving to Western Sydney (even with the prospect of the Hawks paying large chucks of their salaries).

In the end, the Hawks failed miserably in their objective. They didn't obtain the extra picks they were looking for and have been left with the aging players they thought had the most currency. Maybe not a 'firesale' as such. However, maybe they would have been better off letting at least one go for a pick in the mid 20s.

I'm sure the club walked away thinking the trading period didn't turn out they way they wanted and will now move to plan B.
This is just a bad take, remove the media hyperbole from the equation.

We were open to moving on experienced players if it helped us and the were interested. It didn't eventuate, the players are all happy to return and had no interest in leaving. That is far from failing miserably.

We wanted to improve our draft hand and didn't, so it is mildly disappointing. But keeping our good players and going to the Draft with 3 picks inside 25 is not a disaster.

Because North think JHF is the #1 player in the draft.
if i was collingwood and they bid on daicos, i would let them have him and trust that the daicos's will be back at collingwood in a couple of years and let north spend the money developing him. take jhf and then by 2024 have both on your list with a big thankyou note to norf

I'm sure if the Pies had pick 2, they would have bid. As it stands, probably little impact on them bidding v making their own kid the number 1. I think it's the first time North have had the first pick in the draft.
Eh? If the Pies had pick 2 and we bid on Daicos then Collingwood wouldn't match and they'd get JHF instead of us.

There really weren't any winners or losers Freo overpaid a bit for Clark but with their draft hand and age profile understandable and North didn't need to include the future second for CCJ but can understand relationshipwise

if i was collingwood and they bid on daicos, i would let them have him and trust that the daicos's will be back at collingwood in a couple of years and let north spend the money developing him. take jhf and then by 2024 have both on your list with a big thankyou note to norf
Might want to look at the draft order there mate.

This is just a bad take, remove the media hyperbole from the equation.

We were open to moving on experienced players if it helped us and the were interested. It didn't eventuate, the players are all happy to return and had no interest in leaving. That is far from failing miserably.

We wanted to improve our draft hand and didn't, so it is mildly disappointing. But keeping our good players and going to the Draft with 3 picks inside 25 is not a disaster.
So Jeff had a Jeff, which might be good news because it's more ammunition to get rid of him, but bad news otherwise.

The senior players all get aggrieved - not sure that's a huge issue but, again, not ideal. They must all be contemplating new homes next year if things aren't working out.

And the stated aim to improve up the draft board hasn't happened.

Hasn't been a disaster, but given Hawthorn achieved about as much as they would've if they just kept their mouths shut it's not been great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Jeff had a Jeff, which might be good news because it's more ammunition to get rid of him, but bad news otherwise.

The senior players all get aggrieved - not sure that's a huge issue but, again, not ideal. They must all be contemplating new homes next year if things aren't working out.

And the stated aim to improve up the draft board hasn't happened.

Hasn't been a disaster, but given Hawthorn achieved about as much as they would've if they just kept their mouths shut it's not been great.
Jeff is a gigantic flog, the talk that he may be getting challenged is the best news from this trade period.

Just look at the lack of movement this trade period, i think it was just hard to get anything done. Like i said it was clearly not a great trade period for us, but people trying to paint it as some disaster are reading way too much in to the the media (Kane looking at you). It was just a giant meh like it was for a lot of clubs.

42d9172a0af8fb9f03fab17e0496f2ae.jpg

Clearly Essendon won again, just by doing nothing. Eleventy D chess from the master again.

Mhmm we’re filling up the bath for a nice long sip as we speak ;)

Love Freo's position.

Clark, Brodie, Picks 6, 8, 19.

Erasmus, Johnson, Williams. Three local boys. Sets them up for ten years.
I reckon amiss or JVR for them instead of Williams but yeah totally agree

Love Freo's position.

Clark, Brodie, Picks 6, 8, 19.

Erasmus, Johnson, Williams. Three local boys. Sets them up for ten years.

Probably depends on how Clarke and Brodie go given they were fringe players at there previous clubs after losing Cerra which is a big loss given the age profile of Mundy and Fyfe.

Also need a top end Key Position Forward badly

Winner: Carlton
Cerra and Hewitt for a net loss of realistically only pick 6, is good business. Readies them for next year. Amazingly managed salary cap given the ability to add several players while lists and TPP are contracting.

2nd place Fremantle
In: Pick 6, 19, Clark, Brodie, 61, 69, Geelong Future 4th
Out: Cerra, pick 27, Future 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Used the free salary cap space created by Cerra to essentially buy picks off Gold Coast which is good business, got two players Brodie and Clark who should offset the loss of Cerra a little. Have a top 3 draft hand heading into the draft despite finishing 11th.

Last: Sydney
Lost Dawson for unders, lost Hewitt for free. Downgraded their first rounder, offset slightly by adding Ladhams. Ladhams only really keeps them level field as Hickey declines. I’d be annoyed as a Sydney supporter. Fortunately have the academy to absorb these small losses and rebound quickly.

2nd last: Gold Coast
Only 1 pick this year, adding numerous late selections next year. Freeing up salary space for a list that didn’t perform too well, screams of over payment to keep players. Which is well recognized but must be frustrating.

Dodoro, like every year.
Even when he tries and fails, it's written up as a win. FMD.
I don’t get dons fans saying the media don’t like em, they are fellated at every possible opportunity

I think freo.

carlton just had a solid period and improved

but freo took a crap situation and worked out some really good deals

I was being facetious, we absolutely offered market value. Just having a crack at the nuffie opposition fans that just have an axe to grind again Essendon and Dodoro when it’s clear to any objective observer the deal was instigated by Hill and his manager and the Essendon offer was more than fair. Sounds like discussions couldn’t have been more amicable however GWS just didn’t want to let him go which is their prerogative.

Teflon Dodoro!! Why did he wait until Friday to announce that he has been in discussions with Hill for a month? If GWS had a month to sort a small forward instead of a few days the trade could have gone through. He has to take some responsibility for this failed trade.

Winners:
Melbourne - no rival clubs took any substantial inroads on bridging the gap.

Losses:
Clubs under salary cap pressure that aren't in premiership contention.

Serious about Freo?

They gained Clark, Brodie and have picks 6 and 8 essentially for the loss of only Cerra. Huge win.
They lost one of their very best players coming into his prime and replaced him with 2 guys that couldn't get game elsewhere this year.

Losing Cerra is a massive blow for Freo as he's a gun. Pick 6 is a lottery and could easily turn out to be a bust as well.

If you ask any Docker supporter they'd rather have him in their team for 2022. That's not a huge win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back