Review Winners and losers 2022 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

They have Treacy, Amiss, Kuek and Benning as key forwards all 22 or under. Plus a Cat B rookie spot open I think?
Yeah, that's more than I realised.

WCE comparatively only have Jack Williams as a developing tall forward (I don't really consider OAllen a 'developing' player any more, regardless of this year's injury).

Yeah, that's more than I realised.

WCE comparatively only have Jack Williams as a developing tall forward (I don't really consider OAllen a 'developing' player any more, regardless of this year's injury).
I like the Barnett pick for you guys honestly.

I was more surprised they took Wagner over Phillips

Played well when finally used on ball by Carlton late in the year. He can contribute. More as a defensive big body. Still think Essendon need an attacking big body, unless it’s Stringer contract year again.

Tsatas is talented and players who find the ball can find the physicality as they grow to become men themselves. Bont and Macrae are 2 I’d class like that. Pendles too. Came in outsiders who found the ball and with the right coaching quickly learned how to do it through contact.

That said, I’d have taken Humphrey, Phillipou or McKenzie and not had to worry about projecting it.
Mackenzie would have been my pick had we managed the fiorini + sexton dump for pick 5. Not to be. He and tsatas is a lot of powerful running and would compliment each other nicely

It was pretty much locked up pre draft. Just pending some formalities of bids.

You'd have to say on pure talent, lions and north won it.

I think what makes lions draft so good is that not long ago people thought we would go into huge deficit to get our 2 gun kids… and some even suggested lions might have to pass on Fletcher due to lack of points.

Then we added Dunks, gunstan and McKenna and still got our kids

Had the option to draft a kid later, but traded into nexts years stronger draft

Elite

We won the draft by so far we should have bonus points awarded towards winning next year!

(that's how this thread works, right?)

Winners - North, Carlton, St Kilda, West Coast
Losers - Freo, Port, Richmond, Sydney

West Coast are rebuilding and looking to the draft to draft young talent. Got two local products in the first Round and their Nic Nat replacement

Lol tigers loosers with pick 48 and 55.

I have a feeling Scott will push Perkins into the midfield next year, he will be that bigger body imo.

Archie Perkins - 188cm
Will Setterfield - 192cm
Nick Martin - 192cm (Once he builds his body up a bit, I can see him transitioning into the inside.)
Tsatas - 187cm (See Martin)

Stringer and Langford can go in their as well and pinch hit.

Phillipou would've been awesome, but Tsatas has clearly been the better player so far.

I don't think we did too bad.
Nick Martin has been training the house down in Perth with a personal training company called BodyMagic. Luke Jacksons been training with the same company. Martin looks in truly ripping condition and would have appeared to already have put on the muscle required to play as a big midfielder.

The Roos - though it's not hard when you have pick two and three.

Sheezel and George are two of the best four forwards in the draft IMO (with Cadman wnd Humphrey), and Wardlaw can purge the memory of JHF. I really like the young talent they have on their list.

I really liked the Saints getting Phillipou and Hotton where they did.

WCE - having four picks in the top thirty was always going to look good on paper. Bringing in two WA talents the will form the base of their future midfield is an excellent result IMO.

Essendon - They did well too with addressing the KPD need and bringing in Tsatas. Though I don't expect him to become the big bodied clearance midfielder they need, he is simply the kind of player you can't pass up on. Besides, there weren't any of those kinds of midfielders available at that range anyway and they have Hobbs developing.

Getting free hits on the Davey's and Munkara too is a great potential high reward result.

I think the Saints hand is exceptional. Van Es can take or leave but Phillipou, Hotton and Keeler complement what they have to perfection.

North as well, George are 26 is brilliant for them. Rate him a genuine top 10 pick.

Carlton pretty good, but like Hotton more for them than Binns at that 32 pick. Everything else great.

Also like the Crows trading back in, Dowling and Bond provide them with some much needed size in the middle to support the smalls they've taken in recent years.

WCE as well. Only pick I'm not huge on is Burgiel. Hustwaite, Cowan, Keeler I like better for them.

My 5 winners.

I don't think that's a bad thing.

You need to get games in to Phillips and Powell, as well as giving Wardlaw and Sheezel a taste. And Goater, Curtis Taylor, Flynn Perez and the list goes on.

Whilst not getting too young, finding roles for a couple of veterans you grab in the rookie/SPP and rewarding some of the middle aged guys who have to become the leaders to steer this next generation.

George's gap year could be a blessing in disguise.

The biggest downside for North has to be not getting another tall forward. Obviously not the draft for it but I reckon Gruzewski would've made a lovely 3rd tall next to Larkey and Comben/CCJ. Or down back to take over from Corr alongside the McKay/Logue pairing that will be very solid for a long time.

We may have two picks inside the first dozen next year.

I could see us doing a Carlton in 2015 and looking at taking both Archer Reid and Nate Caddy in one hit.

There’s some interesting intrigue as Saul Caddy (Josh’s brother and Nate’s dad) is one of Boomers best mates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane for picking up 2 quality players for basically nothing. Really liked the Saints draft hand as I still believe Phillipou will end up the best player in this years lot and having seen a bit of Keeler if they can get him some good support he could be anything. Eagles seemed to have a decent draft too and would be very happy with their lot. As for us I was in the Phillipou camp but happy with Tsatas and super happy to get both Davey’s and add Munkara to the list. I really liked the Hayes pick too so as I said I’m quite content with what we got but let’s wait and see.

I think the Saints hand is exceptional. Van Es can take or leave but Phillipou, Hotton and Keeler complement what they have to perfection.
Ditto - bit question marks over Keeler but VE is an exceptional athlete so if they're patient he's a good chance to make the grade
Bulldogs were keen on Hotton at 21 (per bids) so he really slid

Happy with what we managed!

Brilliant haul, Philloupou was obvious, but impressed with how you extracted value. It will take a while before I forgive you taking Hotton though! Brilliant haul from St Kilda who don't always get the plaudits but they did really well.

Thanks to everybody who understood our plan and why we made the correct moves.

No thanks to Fox Footy who graded us a D because we 'didn't draft a big bodied mid' like we apparently said we would. Sam Mitchell saying Weddle will play midfield, Cam Mackenzie being only 1cm shorter than Ginbey and Huswaite being 194cm all don't count apparently.

No thanks to Fox Footy who graded us a D because we 'didn't draft a big bodied mid' like we apparently said we would. Sam Mitchell saying Weddle will play midfield, Cam Mackenzie being only 1cm shorter than Ginbey and Huswaite being 194cm all don't count apparently.
I think the poor rating is more from what was given up for Weddle not who else was drafted.

Sent from my SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I say this with love Fox Footy wouldn't have a clue. MacKensie and Weddle are awesome picks, the others are bonus. Hustwaite could be anything or nothing, the ultimate late 2nd/early 3rd pick. That's value. Fox just think their "lab rank" is everything. It's just one bloke's guess that's all it is. Hate to bring it back to Sydney but we apparently picked 3 blokes inside our top 25...it was that sort of draft!

I think the poor rating is more from what was given up for Weddle not who else was drafted.

Sent from my SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There was no way they were getting Weddle without the F2 being involved. So you either miss the player, or you give it up. I'd rather give it up, in the end draft picks are just chips, if Weddle becomes a Tom Stewart clone have they given up too much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back