Review Winners and losers 2022 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
What most teams did with their later and rookie picks this year shows they think it was a weak draft.

Weak and shallow are different things.

2018 was meant to be a 'super draft' but that was only in the first round. After that it thinned out massively.

This was considered a shallow draft with a strong top end and an even collection of players until around pick 35.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
We didn't rate Ryan or Cowan in the same tier as Weddle. Different players regardless, so the example is pointless.

You aren't aware of the 3 year drafting plan outlined by Sam Mitchell and Mark McKenzie, but I'm sure even if I explained it you'd still just say we overpaid and made a mistake acquiring Josh Weddle.
I just don’t get this overpaying schtick ...., Hawks wanted the 2 guys that they landed and will be expecting 10 years of commitment from them going forward .... it’s worth using whatever picks you have to get who you want going forward in a rebuild.
In the same way, gws paid a high price for Cadman, but feck me he looks a goodun

Mrash

Draftee
Dec 2, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
We paid a high price but everyone who live trades for early picks does. In context, port traded a f2 to eagles to move from 14 to 12. The debate isn’t did the hawks overpay it is whether we should have live traded at our point in our rebuild, as live trading is what made us “overpay” not that by comparison to other live trades we overpaid.
Ports trade to Eagles didn't seem too bad at the time. They finished 2nd in 2021 H&A, so would have hoped to replicate this in 2022 making their F2 in the mid 30s in what was percieved as a weak pool. Understandable to get the player you want

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I just don’t get this overpaying schtick ...., Hawks wanted the 2 guys that they landed and will be expecting 10 years of commitment from them going forward .... it’s worth using whatever picks you have to get who you want going forward in a rebuild.
In the same way, gws paid a high price for Cadman, but feck me he looks a goodun
It takes 23 players to win a footy game, and generally 30 good ones to get through a season.

Trading up for one player is fine but it takes away from the quality of your other picks. (Less of a concern for gws given they had so many picks).

And where it can really hurt is trade week. Especially because trades are for proven players, so if you burn your trade hand gambling on a kid you might have to dip in to more future picks or be unable to land trade targets.

The hawks gamble makes sense, but giving up good picks to move only a few spots can be a good recipe to go nowhere

Mrash

Draftee
Dec 2, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Who said it was a weak draft? It was only classed as potentially being shallower than previous years, not weaker.

And if the Bulldogs miss the finals it's negligible difference since it's their 2nd and 3rd rounders we possess.
The Bulldogs future picks have nothing to do with the price paid for Weddle. They came from the O'Meara trade and trade with Brissy

The Bulldogs future picks have nothing to do with the price paid for Weddle. They came from the O'Meara trade and trade with Brissy
What are you on about. They absolutely have everything to do with Hawthorns decision to trade up the order.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The metric isn't just who teams picked, it's also the price paid. I'm assuming Hawks finish in bottom few next year, meaning they used 27 plus say 20&40 to get Weddle. That is eye watering for a talent most rated as a late first round..

Who rated him late first round a few random phantoms?. Apparently rated at 12 on our draft board.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Who rated him late first round a few random phantoms?. Apparently rated at 12 on our draft board.
The draft rated him at pick 18 which is a late first.

It's interesting to me that Mitchell has such a huge say in list management. Seems like he wanted Weddle at any cost.

Mrash

Draftee
Dec 2, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
They have everything to do with it because we likely wouldn't have done the trade without already having them.

What are you on about. They absolutely have everything to do with Hawthorns decision to trade up the order.
My previous post was in reply to "And if the Bulldogs miss the finals it's negligible difference".
Having the Bulldogs picks doesn't diminish the value of your own picks. The price paid is still eye-watering assuming the Hawks finish at the tail end of the ladder next season. Taking 5xpicks in the first 3 rounds into next year would have been a great position to be in.

Last edited:
My previous post was in reply to "And if the Bulldogs miss the finals it's negligible difference".
Having the Bulldogs picks doesn't diminish the value of your own picks. The price paid is still eye-watering assuming the Hawks finish at the tail end of the ladder next season. Taking 5xpicks in the first 3 rounds into next year would have been a great position to be in.
Yeah okay that's the other side of the argument but adding some Hawthorn context, 2 to 3 of those 5 picks would potentially go to matching a McCabe bid anyway, then you also consider the quality vs quantity argument. Would extra 2nds and 3rd round picks find us the same level of player. Also the opportunity cost lost on having an extra 1st round pick in our system now developing.

Last edited:

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surprising coming from a person who supports a club with West Coast little brother syndrome.

Come on , we deal with the original arsticles on a daily basis

You are going to have to try a bit harder than that

Good luck with the Rossy Lyon Nostalgia Tour

TAKE US BACK IN TIME TO WHEN WE WERE GOOD always works a treat that one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We didn’t trade 2 pick 1’s for 2&3.

There’s an extra first rounder next year that will have another name attached to the trade this time next year.
Kinda did pay two pick 1’s.
Pick 1 2021 (JHF)
Pick 1 2022

But considering the news that JHF wished to be traded after 1 year the outcome of Sheezel, Wardlaw and a F1 was a decent outcome. They were the two players North wanted.

Mind you a pretty high trade offer was made by Adelaide and Richmond prior to the 2021 ND.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Those who barrack for Hawthorn were making all these same arguments when they paid through the nose for JOM.

To get that deal done they had to get their hands on pick 10 from us in that draft, which they ended up getting, along with pick 68, in exchange for picks 23, 36 and a future 1st- which ended up being pick 7.

So they paid 7, 23 and 36, for 10 and 68.

Effectively paying picks 23 and 36 to switch to a worse first rounder (albeit in the current draft) and a junk late pick.

And they were likewise pretty much all on here justifying it till the cows came home.

Just as the Carlton folk were when they did that much-criticised trade that got them Stoker.

Neither are still at those clubs. We’ll watch Weddle’s progress with interest.

Which ever way you want to spin it, they paid a VERY high price for the pick they took him at.

Last edited:
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Those who barrack for Hawthorn were making all these same arguments when they paid through the nose for JOM.

To get that deal done they had to get their hands on pick 10 from us in that draft, which they ended up getting, along with pick 68, in exchange for picks 23, 36 and a future 1st- which ended up being pick 7.

Effectively paying picks 23 and 36 to switch to a worse first rounder (albeit in the current draft) and a junk late pick.

And they were likewise pretty much all on here justifying it till the cows came home.

Just as the Carlton folk were when they did that much-criticised trade that got them Stoker.

Which ever way you want to spin it, they paid a VERY high price for the pick they took him at.
the ultimate question is... will Rossy Lyon be on his bes behaviour with the saints female staff? lol

May 1, 2007
Camped in the goalsquare
AFL Club
Sydney
"Our Head of Football Rob McCartney, along with the recruiting team led by Mark McKenzie, had dinner the night before the draft. It was asked what our best case scenario for the night was and I replied that, although it was unlikely, if we could get both Cam Mackenzie and Josh Weddle, it would be a home run."

Sam Mitchell sent this to members in an email.
I mean, I have no doubt that the Hawks would be pretty happy with those two, but do you put any more stock in this than all clubs somehow managing to take 3 or 4 players they all had in their top 20 ranking?

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades

I wasn't on the Bigfooty when that O'Meara trade happened, but considering how often it's STILL brought up on our board I'd say the response isn't all that comparable.

The only justification in giving up the farm for O'Meara was that we were trying to stay in a successful window and didn't consider the draft important in the immediate future.

The best part though?

In the 2016 and 2017 drafts, with our weak starting positions, we brought in 4 players who are still best 22, with 2 likely to be in line for Vice Captain next year.
Morrison
Lewis
Worpel
Moore

TheWeapon

Club Legend
May 20, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Including trade period and draft Brisbane were the winners for mine. I like West Coast and St Kilda's draft picks. Hawthorn have potentially given up picks 20,27,40 (if they finish bottom 2 in 2023 which is possible given they have cut their list very deep) which on points is around pick 5 equivalent for Weedle at pick 17. GWS had a poor draft for the picks they had after Sydney forced their hand. Bombers have some potential steals in Davey x2 plus Munkara, but time will tell if Tsatas will be able to play inside mid (or if we have others already being groomed for the spot like Hobbs, Perkins)

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
I mean, I have no doubt that the Hawks would be pretty happy with those two, but do you put any more stock in this than all clubs somehow managing to take 3 or 4 players they all had in their top 20 ranking?

In 2019 apparently Gold Coast had future pick 11 on the trade table during the draft and it took until pick 27 for a club to take the deal. The number of the pick is irrelevant when you know what player you are getting

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
the ultimate question is... will Rossy Lyon be on his bes behaviour with the saints female staff? lol
We haven’t got a problem with that, just recently fired all the female staff & replaced them with these three single beauties.
Actually they had the deciding vote in getting Ross to the Saints. 😉

51D60AC5-9175-4363-915E-BA96DDA97B75.jpeg

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
staggered by the lack of leverage Essendon is getting in this thread.

Some quarters rated Alwyn Jnr as a first rounder, some also rated Anthony Munkara as talented as any first rounder this year. Jayden, should the knee not have gone would have gone before Alwyn Jnr whilst the acquisition of Tsatas who some suggested was apart of the 'big 5' (Wardlaw, Cadman, Ashcroft, Sheezel, Tsatas) is as exciting as the Davey's.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
staggered by the lack of leverage Essendon is getting in this thread.

Some quarters rated Alwyn Jnr as a first rounder, some also rated Anthony Munkara as talented as any first rounder this year. Jayden, should the knee not have gone would have gone before Alwyn Jnr whilst the acquisition of Tsatas who some suggested was apart of the 'big 5' (Wardlaw, Cadman, Ashcroft, Sheezel, Tsatas) is as exciting as the Davey's.

Good draft on paper but just more of the same for the Bombers. Once again you haven’t looked to fix any of your glaring issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back