Review Winners and losers 2022 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

On Tsatas - Maybe Adam Treloar is a closer playing style comparison?

Adam Treloar is pretty damn close, IMO. Jack Macrae and Tsatas are nothing alike. Macrae's leg was elite at junior level, and only had a bit of first year blues when adjusting as just a skinny kid, but got back to his elite kicking pretty quickly the next year. He's also a strong tackler, and places emphasis on defensive pressure when needed.

Treloar, however, has never had good disposal, yet is good on the inside and outside. Has defensive pressure now, but wasn't always a big part of his game. Tsatas I think can learn to be someone like him, and utilize his strengths - but I don't think he'll ever have the elite kicking/disposal of someone like Macrae.

Drury will play plenty of AFL football in his career.

More than a few similarities to Caleb Daniel.

Sounds like Phillipou has eaten up the training and been keen for more, so despite only having turned 18yo a tick over a month ago, he’d probably be in the mix for R1. Wilkie mentioned the other day that he’s difficult to play on because he’s such a great runner.

Van Es has also impressed. Keeler did a PCL and has missed the last two months, while Hotton is out for months with a back injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Konstanty and papley are gonna cause headaches. Craft, the pair of them.

They seem to be getting along well too

On Jacob (and Papley)
"It does put a smile on my face to see the two of them, Jacob and Tom, buzzing around," he said. "It's actually quite interesting. Jacob rang Tom the year before, just asking him for some tips. He obviously came from a similar area and they're similar players.

"As soon as we drafted Jacob, Tom text me and was really excited. He's been fantastic. Everything he is, he's that. But he's also got a bit of class. He's not just a hard chaser. That stood out to our playing group in the first session, he's actually got some class.

"The two of them buzz around together. I grabbed both of them together last week and put my arm around them and said, 'geez it's good to see you two working together'. It's really good."

Sounds like Phillipou has eaten up the training and been keen for more, so despite only having turned 18yo a tick over a month ago, he’d probably be in the mix for R1. Wilkie mentioned the other day that he’s difficult to play on because he’s such a great runner.

Van Es has also impressed. Keeler did a PCL and has missed the last two months, while Hotton is out for months with a back injury.
I hate Dodoro!

2 games in and it's a very small sample size, couldn't be happier with Ollie Hollands and Lachie Cowan.

This could be one of more successful national draft hauls in recent times (which to be fair, isn't say that much)

Very encouraging signs early on though.

2 games in and it's a very small sample size, couldn't be happier with Ollie Hollands and Lachie Cowan.

This could be one of more successful national draft hauls in recent times (which to be fair, isn't say that much)

Very encouraging signs early on though.
Carlton really are struggling for decent role players outside the big boys if you think these two kids are showing more than others that are get early games. They look ok but nothing really pointing to “one of the more successful draft hauls in recent times”. Maybe for Carlton since you got your talls.

Carlton really are struggling for decent role players outside the big boys if you think these two kids are showing more than others that are get early games. They look ok but nothing really pointing to “one of the more successful draft hauls in recent times”. Maybe for Carlton since you got your talls.
Hollands has played 2 games and in both has run the most kms in the game from all players. Kid is as skinny as. Will be an absolute ripper. Dropped back in front of huge key forwards in both games, both of which actually impacted the outcome of the game.

Cowan appears solid. Tough and does not get overawed. Looks like a ready to go 200 gamer.

I know that it must be tough to be a freo supporter. Would be even tougher to be a mean spirited one who can't take any satisfaction out of young players successes.

P.s. thanks for Blake Acres. Average salary is $400k snd you guys were prepared to pay him $250k. Enjoy that future 3rd rounder which we hope will be pick 50+.

Hollands has played 2 games and in both has run the most kms in the game from all players. Kid is as skinny as. Will be an absolute ripper. Dropped back in front of huge key forwards in both games, both of which actually impacted the outcome of the game.

Cowan appears solid. Tough and does not get overawed. Looks like a ready to go 200 gamer.

I know that it must be tough to be a freo supporter. Would be even tougher to be a mean spirited one who can't take any satisfaction out of young players successes.

P.s. thanks for Blake Acres. Average salary is $400k snd you guys were prepared to pay him $250k. Enjoy that future 3rd rounder which we hope will be pick 50+.
They are two young kids who have played ok. Hollands had 11 & 20 disposals in his two games. Cowan had 7 & 12 disposal games. Hollands onvious looking the better of the two but he’s also a higher draft pick.

I’m not saying they both won’t become good plays, just responding to the other poster to cool their jets that they are going to be one of the best draft hauls based on what I have seen. A long way to go and expectations need to be tempered to avoid disappointment.

I like Cowan & Hollands but Cowan significantly more. Hollands will grow as a player and will always find plenty of the ball due to the elite fitness but I feel at the moment he's very light, get pushed off the ball easy and his disposal is a little suspect. All fixable though.

Cowan won't have the numbers just yet but I can see him being a star defender of the competition in a few years.

They are two young kids who have played ok. Hollands had 11 & 20 disposals in his two games. Cowan had 7 & 12 disposal games. Hollands onvious looking the better of the two but he’s also a higher draft pick.

I’m not saying they both won’t become good plays, just responding to the other poster to cool their jets that they are going to be one of the best draft hauls based on what I have seen. A long way to go and expectations need to be tempered to avoid disappointment.

Just from a Carlton perspective, not from every other club's perspective. We have had.lot of trouble drafting and developing non first round picks for years, we seem to finally have gotten that rectified since we controversially parted ways with SOS

Just from a Carlton perspective, not from every other club's perspective. We have had.lot of trouble drafting and developing non first round picks for years, we seem to finally have gotten that rectified since we controversially parted ways with SOS
We’ve both been stung by the SOS random picks

No worries, that’s a fair assessment

Imagine going on 2 stupid rants just because your comprehension skills aren't up to scratch?

He simply said that he couldn't be happier with them, not that they were better than anyone. I also would've thought the comments in brackets was an obvious sign that he was talking from a Carlton perspective.

The fact that you've stated their disposal numbers here, just says to me that you haven't even watched them play.
Hollands' two way running has been outstanding (doesn't show up in a disposal count). In the Tigers game, he went from one end of the ground to the other and made a defensive play that most wouldn't. He's also spoiled Lynch and Cameron at crucial moments in both games, without a 2nd thought about putting his body on the line.
Cowan is playing in a back pocket, so disposals don't mean much. He's also put his body on the line more than a few times and won hard balls in packs and disposed of cleanly with no signs of nerves.

When drafted, I don't think anyone expected them to play so early, let alone debuting in round 1 and holding their spots quite comfortably, and looking likely to play again next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back