Review Winners and losers, 2021 edition

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
What makes you certain JHF is leaving?

The only narrative I’ve read from the kid is that he does what is best for him. When he wants to go home he will do what he thinks is best for him, and in the past he has stated a desire to not only play for Port, but remain in SA. I’d have taken the draft haul and chosen more wisely.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
What makes you certain JHF is leaving?

Hard not to think of a take like that has blatant Trolling.

If they knew JHF would be bail after two years, they probably would have done that picks trade/swap with the Crows.

North believe it or not, are not run by mugs, they probably knew or were told Logan McDonald would be a massive flight risk and it's why they took local boy Will Phillips instead, who likes he is an elite 250 plus A grader in the making.

Clubs are more switched on to flight risks about draftees than ever, especially premium top 10 picks.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The only narrative I’ve read from the kid is that he does what is best for him. When he wants to go home he will do what he thinks is best for him, and in the past he has stated a desire to not only play for Port, but remain in SA. I’d have taken the draft haul and chosen more wisely.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lol, you mean the narrative you have just invented?

Everything written about him actually alludes to him being a very loyal kid, not the opposite, as you are insinuating.

Where has he said he wants to play for Port? He supports Fremantle and is fanatical for South Adelaide, i.e he didn't even want to play colts/senior football for the Port Magpies.

He's actually said he wants to return to play for South Adelaide at some point before he retires.

Yes there is, if Hornes was genuinely hypothetically ranked as the number one pick, we would be taking best available.

And it’s not like we haven’t passed on father son selections before - Jake Kelly, James Stewart etc

They're not Daicos, and the only reason Horne is seen as the number 1 pick is because Daicos isn't available to North. Otherwise good luck splitting them.

Pleasedontfail11

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
F1 racing
They can bid on the talls after they've made us ante up for Daics. They'll use pick 2 for that surely!
Why would they? Sure clubs make bids, but only for players they actually want. They have no intention of drafting a player like him. All it does is upset Collingwood, a club no even close to being in contention.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Why would they? Sure clubs make bids, but only for players they actually want. They have no intention of drafting a player like him. All it does is upset Collingwood, a club no even close to being in contention.

You are correct. Clubs make bids for players they actually would want (at that pick IF they could get them). It keeps the bigger clubs with more history and more access to the father /sons honest and also ensures that players being drafted get the recognition they deserve in their draft year. And seriously, do you really think footy clubs worry about upsetting the best laid plans of their opposition clubs? That's their focus on all areas every day of the year!

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Not a lot happened aside from the Cerra trade.

Mainly just fringe players and pick swaps for various agendas.

The AFL should really look at points value for picks over 50 as it is a bit of a rort for father and son picks
Just catching up on this thread during the off season doldrums. It was a pretty uneventful trade period, but a couple of comments from a Fremantle perspective.

The Cerra trade is a loss for us, but I am not unhappy to have acquired a genuine KPF prospect as a result.

Clark is a fringe player trade as you describe, but he is a significant boost for us, and an immediate best 22.

The Brodie + 19 trade unpredictably netted us Johnson which is as good as it gets. Immediately mitigates the loss of Cerra with a like for like replacement, and Brodie may not progress, but is a free hit.

Excellent trade and draft period for us.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Winners:

Losers: Everyone who took at least 1 second interest.

Light trade period on fire. I can't take it anymore.

We all knew Cerra was a gun, but by George, Hewett has been a fantastic moneyball recruit for the Baggers too.

giphy.gif

One of the best benefits of recruiting blokes like that is that it really eases the load on Cripps, and he is currently playing the best footy he has for quite some time.

Really pleasing list identification by CFC.

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very happy with Windhager and Owens. Tore the VFL up yesterday and look to have the tools and the body to smash it in the AFL as goal kicking mids.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Will Brodie 36 touches. Exactly what we needed.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Love to see someone come in here and say ‘yep, we f’ed it’
Our "star" FS is listed as indefinite on the injury list. None of our other draftees have debuted. We didn't draft a proper KPD or ruck, basically just an oversized winger (Parker), a general defender (Cleary), a midfielder (McComb) and a pacy winger (Jones - the only one that I have big faith in so far).

We picked up O'Brien as a FA who did just okay in his first game, but is going to be a role player, and isn't even a lock in our defence.

So yeah, long term who knows, but in the short term the Dogs have not exactly done outstanding so far

Back