Review Winners and losers, 2021 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Sweet probably more than anyone apart from Ladhams in the rucks traded, but I don't really understand going again with big Stef rather than having a crack at Ceglar. Ceglar's no world beater but I'd take my chances with him over 35 year old Stef Martin.

I like Sweet too, but he's gotta spend all summer on the training track if he's going to play out games as ouor first ruck all season. I like keeping Stef around as a ruck coach on a rookie salary, but I really wanted us to get Ceglar.

Two years running Essendon have tapped up a contracted player and then refused to pay the 'market' price.

Be interesting to see if this impacts nominations next year.
I think hill targeted them. I don’t really blame the bombers as I don’t think they were too fussed whether they got him or not. You’d think if the kid desperately wanted to get to Melbourne he would have given the giants more than 1 club to work with.
Glad they made him stay.

Actually having a decent and coherent game plan will help.

It would be the first time in 10 years.

Given our whole of club coaching appointments, I’m confident it will finally happen.

You don’t think the Pies had a coherent gameplan in 2018?

I know this is a pretty standard throwaway line, but Collingwood are in a rebuild phase and just signed a new coach.

It’s complete guesswork as to how their gameplan is going to unfold.

Grundy, Adams, DeGoey, Pendles and Sidey for one last ride, Lipinksi, WHE, Daicos x 2, Crisp plus last years kids is a deep midfield group - probably including back and forward flanks.

Get Howe and Moore back and that's always a nice start of a backline, Maynard, Roughy for one more year probably with Quaynor improving and that's a decent chunk of backline.

Not sure Kreuger unlocks the forward line. Still be a lot on Mihocek and Darcy Cameron. Jamie Elliott. And the young forwards will have to step in quickly - Henry, McCreery, Ginnivan.

There's a fair bit to work with, but it probably starts with a question of whether DeGoey becomes a permanent mid and how they manage the over 30's.

Take Sidebottom, Pendles, Howe and Roughead out and suddenly there's a lot more gaps to fill.
Nearly every single one of those blokes played this year. You’re just naming players on the list haha. You ever watched WHE? He’s borderline delist material. Lipinski should be a good get. They’ll be bottom 2 next year though

I’m no fan of Dodoro but they offered a very good deal for Hill. The reason it never went anywhere was the fact Hill gave GWS nowhere near enough notice to get a replacement.

Think the truth is somewhere in between. They knew about his interest in returning a lot way back, but Hill delayed until the final few days.

Sounded like the clubs valuations are at odds, and McCartney was scorned from the previous years dealings for Caldwell which didn’t help things.

The Cerra trade was bad, but Freo made up for it elsewhere. It’s a pass for Freo.

The biggest loser is easily Hawthorn with a failed fire sale.

Their new coach mitchell clearly doesn’t see any of Titch, O’Meara, Breust, O’Meara and Gunston in their next premiership tilt. Asked them to leave, rejected, and now they have missed the last chance to salvage the remaining value out of their players to set themselves up for a proper rebuild.

You don’t think the Pies had a coherent gameplan in 2018?

I know this is a pretty standard throwaway line, but Collingwood are in a rebuild phase and just signed a new coach.

It’s complete guesswork as to how their gameplan is going to unfold.

Not particularly.

If it was that coherent it would have lasted for more than a solitary great half of a season.

I don’t disagree we are rebuilding. But IMO the game plan is the thing that most needs to be rebuilt.

I’m finally confident it will be.

Nearly every single one of those blokes played this year. You’re just naming players on the list haha. You ever watched WHE? He’s borderline delist material. Lipinski should be a good get. They’ll be bottom 2 next year though
They aren't coming off one of the worst offseasons in living memory next year and they weren't nearly as a bad as a lot of bottom 2 sides. They've got a new coach with a clean slate who might actually coach some ball movement and skills.

85% this year, which usually means more like 6 wins than the 4 they ended up with. It wouldn't shock me if they were around 8 or so wins. It just depends on the direction they want to go.

Either way I think they ended up salvaging about as much as they could in this trade period given they came in to it with a really ordinary hand.

The Cerra trade was bad, but Freo made up for it elsewhere. It’s a pass for Freo.

The biggest loser is easily Hawthorn with a failed fire sale.

Their new coach mitchell clearly doesn’t see any of Titch, O’Meara, Breust, O’Meara and Gunston in their next premiership tilt. Asked them to leave, rejected, and now they have missed the last chance to salvage the remaining value out of their players to set themselves up for a proper rebuild.

Reckon this might actually be a good thing.

I don’t think they’d be anywhere near competitive if they lost Mitchell and any other players. They are rebuilding, but in real danger of taking the Carlton or original failed Melbourne list generation.

They just don’t have enough topline players to keep things afloat in the interim if they brazenly cashed in their best players for picks.

I was surprised both Wingard and Breust rejected GWS’ offer though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not particularly.

If it was that coherent it would have lasted for more than a solitary great half of a season.

I don’t disagree we are rebuilding. But IMO the game plan is the thing that most needs to be rebuilt.

I’m finally confident it will be.
Pies had a fantastic defensive game plan under Longmuir, but the whole Buckley era was years of do whatever you like and hope the ball gets forward enough. The one thing that worked was big Mason Cox forcing contests under high balls around half forward and the Pies being dangerous from there.

The worst thing that ever happened was big Maso thought he was a superstar and tried to take marks. When he used to jump with 1 hand and tap the ball down he was a weapon. If they tied one of his hands behind his back and sat the ball on his head with long and direct kicks he'd have been more useful for longer.

Pies had a Dream Trade Period compared to ours Last Year

Not if you finish bottom 4, it not 2 next season as seems more likely than not.
I get the reasons why you did the deals you did, so not to go into deficit for Daicos but you have not much of a bargaining hand for next year's draft and trade period.

Reckon this might actually be a good thing.

I don’t think they’d be anywhere near competitive if they lost Mitchell and any other players. They are rebuilding, but in real danger of taking the Carlton or original failed Melbourne list generation.

They just don’t have enough topline players to keep things afloat in the interim if they brazenly cashed in their best players for picks.

I was surprised both Wingard and Breust rejected GWS’ offer though.
The Hawks have the makings of a premiership backline, some decent mature wing options, young key forwards who have matured a bit and compete - even if they aren't top liners and might end up making way. I reckon Sam Mitchell was right to try to get some value. There's always capable mids around if you know where to look and the ones you draft can play within 3 years if you get the development and fitness right. Ok you don't win as many games with Worpel and Newcombe as you do O'Meara but you won't totally cook the kids. Or there's moves like O'Meara or T Mitchell out for a first round pick, sign Dunstan as a free agent. That's a fair drop off in class but what does it actually cost you in win/loss in 2022/2023?

I definitely think the Hawks had the right idea, but the execution was horrendous. Had to sound out the senior guys before trade period and tried to get one or two across the line at new clubs before it all went public.

They also failed in their plan to get in draft picks for cap space and so far haven't succeeded in moving up the draft board either although there's lots of time for that.

Both North and Hawthorn will probably be annoyed at missing out on the Brodie and a future 2nd for pick 19 deal. Ok, not a huge pick upgrade but an absolute freebie in to a handy spot in this years draft.

Cerra and Hewett already slot into Carlton's best 22 nicely, not sold on Young , and we traded SPS for unders, but overall a very solid trade and FA period for us (better than last year's anyway)

Wouldn't be surprised if we somehow tried to trade our way into the first round on draft night tbh.

I’m no fan of Dodoro but they offered a very good deal for Hill. The reason it never went anywhere was the fact Hill gave GWS nowhere near enough notice to get a replacement.
Hill - his manger and Dodoro knew weeks ago he wanted to move. Why did all three sit on this until Friday? To hopefully make GWS panic? It’s poor form all round.

It didn’t matter how good the offer was after not dealing in good faith.

Well Adrian was clearly the winner.
Another stellar performance !!

Special mention to the Cats.
They managed to trade in another 30yo plodder whilst trading out a 20yo former first rounder …

Sam Mitchell would be a shattered man tonight.
How does a club in a hard rebuild, stating it needs to attack the draft, go into next season with the same list that finished 14th this season ?
Their only significant addition will be their first round draft pick … the same as every other club …

Remove this Banner Ad

Back