Review Winners and losers, 2021 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Why are you quoting me lol where did I say we stocked up.

You are saying we threw away our draft hand for next year, im disagreeing as we managed to get the points required for Daicos while still breaking even with our strength next year.

Regardless, none of the picks we traded out were ever going to land us a quality KPP, but the 1st rounder we retained might.
My bad, I was incorrectly quoting another Pies poster, so apologies for that.

Nonetheless you've weakened your draft hand next year, losing 20-38-56 for 41-51-57. Sure you've gained the picks for Daicos and kept pick 1 for next year but it has come at a substantial cost. That could be alleviated if you trade 27 for the Tigers future 2nd

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Winner: Jason McCartney for ignoring Adrian Dodoro and Colin Young.

Losers: Adrian Dodoro for the 2nd consecutive year chasing a contracted player and ending up with nothing. And Colin Young for failing miserably with both Rory Lobb and Bobby Hill.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Nonetheless you've weakened your draft hand next year, losing 20-38-56 for 41-51-57. Sure you've gained the picks for Daicos and kept pick 1 for next year but it has come at a substantial cost. That could be alleviated if you trade 27 for the Tigers future 2nd
Yeah look we are definitely not keeping pick 27. Ideally we turn it into a future 2nd, but I'm also not sure our team can pull that off given their track record even this year.

I think our trading of pick 2 last year was absolutely horrendous, and I have called this out on our board a million times (despite some delusional pies supporters defending the move...), but tbh the actual selection of Oliver Henry, Finlay Macrae, Reef McInnis, Jack Ginnivan, Beau Mcreery and Caleb Poulter have been exceptional, and may even end up justifying their initial costs if they continue developing with sufficient opportunities.

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah look we are definitely not keeping pick 27. Ideally we turn it into a future 2nd, but I'm also not sure our team can pull that off given their track record even this year.

I think our trading of pick 2 last year was absolutely horrendous, and I have called this out on our board a million times (despite some delusional pies supporters defending the move...), but tbh the actual selection of Oliver Henry, Finlay Macrae, Reef McInnis, Jack Ginnivan, Beau Mcreery and Caleb Poulter have been exceptional, and may even end up justifying their initial costs if they continue developing with sufficient opportunities.
Fair enough, I just got jacked on a poster that said the Pies had stocked up on next years picks to have a crack at a KPF.

The Pies work over the last couple of years has been a real cluster *, I'd add the Beams deal in that cluster too. It just seems that the club is trying to rebuild and fix the TPP at the same time, which TBH can't be done, the players picked up last year at least give the club something to look forward to, add Daicos and an early 1st next year then maybe things will happen.

Baird

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast

Collingwood aren't finishing anywhere near 18th next year

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Where does the improvement come from?
Grundy, Adams, DeGoey, Pendles and Sidey for one last ride, Lipinksi, WHE, Daicos x 2, Crisp plus last years kids is a deep midfield group - probably including back and forward flanks.

Get Howe and Moore back and that's always a nice start of a backline, Maynard, Roughy for one more year probably with Quaynor improving and that's a decent chunk of backline.

Not sure Kreuger unlocks the forward line. Still be a lot on Mihocek and Darcy Cameron. Jamie Elliott. And the young forwards will have to step in quickly - Henry, McCreery, Ginnivan.

There's a fair bit to work with, but it probably starts with a question of whether DeGoey becomes a permanent mid and how they manage the over 30's.

Take Sidebottom, Pendles, Howe and Roughead out and suddenly there's a lot more gaps to fill.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dogs had three needs and met the second and third most important of them. Not getting a first ruck was a failure.
I like Sweet probably more than anyone apart from Ladhams in the rucks traded, but I don't really understand going again with big Stef rather than having a crack at Ceglar. Ceglar's no world beater but I'd take my chances with him over 35 year old Stef Martin.

Bestbird

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Not a lot happened aside from the Cerra trade.

Mainly just fringe players and pick swaps for various agendas.

The AFL should really look at points value for picks over 50 as it is a bit of a rort for father and son picks

Feb 26, 2007
Here
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seemed to me to be quieter than most years. Not sure if it's due to list sizes, perceived values or continuing maturity amongst the league around trade values. Picks appear to have increased in value over the last few years. I think thats probably for the best overall for the league and equalisation measure as a whole.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Two years running Essendon have tapped up a contracted player and then refused to pay the 'market' price.

Be interesting to see if this impacts nominations next year.
I’m no fan of Dodoro but they offered a very good deal for Hill. The reason it never went anywhere was the fact Hill gave GWS nowhere near enough notice to get a replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back