Review Winners and Losers of the 2020 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
We didn't recruit Hartigan to make us a better side. We recruited him (for nothing) so Ben McEvoy isn't our number 1 defender next season. Sicily out with an ACL, Frawley retiring. We needed a gorilla defender to help stop the bleeding while Kosi (hopefully) develops.
You've convinced me. That is a fair point but I hope he isn't stealing games from youth. I'd really consider putting you at an A now.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
How did the Dogs do well?

While I agree they got Treloar for a steal, all things considered it's going to go down as a stuff up in a couple of years time when they lose Dunkley for a second round pick.

His value is diminishing and he will be seeing even less midfield time - the only place he shines - with Treloar's arrival.

Offered pick 7 and a future 2nd from the team that some would expect to finish last next year is just overs in general for a player like him.

They've had ongoing problems with having a surplus of inside mids for years now and it hasn't got them anywhere in regards to finals action, so this can't necessarily be expected to be any sort of panacea.

Dunkley had to start last year out of the midfield and at half forward after killing it in there towards the end of 2018, and did nothing until put in there from the game against Richmond, and then this year with Smith's emergence he was back to being almost exclusively out, and having next to no impact.

It's just not going to work.

There's only so many onballers you can play; and yeah they can spend time elsewhere, but they are usually just a shell of themselves, especially when it's not a permanent role that they can get accustomed to and have to keep chopping and changing; leading to them getting disgruntled due to not being played in their favourite "fun" spot and leaving on the cheap themselves anyway.
Fully agree. The Dogs period is incredibly overstated. Just made their midfield better but wont matter when you have a dysfunctional forward line and no good key defenders. Not trading Dunkley was a mistake. They could've tried to ask Essendon for Hurley or Zerk-Thatcher

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
This isn't really true though. We did OK out of a sh*t situation to get currency to at least give us a chance at some long term best-22 players. That's about all you can do in that situation.

Daniher's on-field input in the last few years isn't difficult to replace, but talent-wise we're not going to replace what he once might have been.

Saad is the biggest on-field loss of the departures, but we're not going to draft a player like that at any of our selections. Mostly it seems there's a potential couple of KPD / utility types, or medium sized midfielders, around the mark for those picks in the phantom drafts.
No doubt the Bombers did extremely well with Saad and Daniher but I would've thought that the best measure on the returns of each player would be gauged on the output of the new players coming in and the old players going out.

Like for like.

Carlton and Saints seemed to improve their lists the most. Fair play to them.

I liked the Brown to Dees move. Seems perfect fit.

Geelong have gone all in. I don't mind it but it will have to pay off in next 2seasons.

Very disappointed in Richmond. Got rid of two talented players for bubkus, and missed a chance to grab a bargain Crouch or Treloar who would both be perfect for us. We must be perilously close to salary cap.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
How can Bulldogs assure Dunkley more midfield time with Treloar coming in?
They’ll be lucky to get one first rounder for him in two years.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
No doubt the Bombers did extremely well with Saad and Daniher but I would've thought that the best measure on the returns of each player would be gauged on the output of the new players coming in and the old players going out.

Like for like.

I see them as two distinct things, one is getting a favourable trade for outgoing players, whether that’s converting them in to picks or other players.

The other is what is then done with the currency at the draft.

Saad for 8 gives us some good currency to take to the draft, from a trade perspective that’s as good an outcome as you could hope for when a clear best-22 player in their prime years leaves.

If they pick a star then great, if they pick a bust then that doesn’t make it a ‘bad’ trade because the currency outcome of the trade itself was solid.

Fully agree. The Dogs period is incredibly overstated. Just made their midfield better but wont matter when you have a dysfunctional forward line and no good key defenders. Not trading Dunkley was a mistake. They could've tried to ask Essendon for Hurley or Zerk-Thatcher

If we got those two we still wouldn’t have a good key defender though🤷‍♂️

Sorry to nit pick but Stef is turning 34 next Tuesday.

Yep, short term plan, he had a lot of injuries this year, back fracture, knee as well. He states he has got his body right now. Most rucks play late into their careers, Cox 36, Goldie still going strong. Our last decent ruck came out of retirement to play for Collingwood.

I thought Dogs killed it, not just getting Treloar, but swapping #14 for multiple picks to prepare for a bid on JUH. We need Dunks as Libba is not going to have a long career due to his knees.
Roos did well, Hawks got a steal, Saints were also good. GWS stood firm and fair enough, I hope the FA lottery is over, it has always been unfair to other clubs, and the criteria is clouded, I mean pick #7 for Daniher who has hardly played the last two years and what was the pick Hawks got for Buddy - 19 wasn’t it?

Geelong, paid a high price for a 28 year old who does well in the home and away, not so sure on his finals performances though, and picked up two old but skilful players. Hopefully they did consider they made the GF based on short quarters this year, hopefully for their sake the gamble pays off.

Collingwood were in a tight spot and should have managed it much better, I feel for the pies fans.

So with just one less (Treloar) this year, why did they have a percentage of just 66 against the other teams who made the eight and win just one of eight games against them?

English tired by midway through the year, we basically played with no ruck in some games. In saying that we made finals, and 60 seconds longer in that final we would have won.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Blues did well, the only 'criticism' I would say is pick 6 for Saad is a fair way over IMO.

Perhaps could have looked early on to split that for a pick (e.g. 13 and 20 from Cats) and given up 13 for Saad.

Other than that, they have done well, though I'm not convinced on Williams as a mid, unless it's a wing position. Time will tell.

Personally with our young mids coming through I don't think it will be long before Williams is on a HBF.

Having Williams and Saad off HB will make us a very attacking defence and one of the best defences in the AFL

Docherty Jones Plowman
Williams Weitering Saad (Newman Williamson McGovern Marchbank Macreadie)

has all bases covered.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With Daicos they'd have been looking to offload their 1st I reckon
I wonder whether it is not a free agent they are after at all.

Perhaps the reason they so desperately wanted 2 first rounders this year is so they can use their 2021 and 2022 picks to trade.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

FWIW I’m glad we chose to match the offer for Jezza.
It might make clubs think twice before looking to poach players who are restricted free agents going forward.
Same here, I'm also glad Jezza still chose to leave because matching an RFA bid when the player doesn't want to be there goes against the meaning of free agency. Not a dig at GWS by the way (you'd take the 3x picks every day of the week), but the AFL needs to fix the FA system

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Same here, I'm also glad Jezza still chose to leave because matching an RFA bid when the player doesn't want to be there goes against the meaning of free agency. Not a dig at GWS by the way (you'd take the 3x picks every day of the week), but the AFL needs to fix the FA system

They need to lower the ages for both categories by 2 years.

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
If u post “Geelong all in - 3 firsts” yada yada you may as well put Footy Nuff Nuff under your avatar. Prob not your fault as you get your news from the Herald Sun. Trades are assessed over two years not one.

Cameron will be traded for pick 16 and a pick slide from 20 to 35 into a logically better draft.

Much better result than even the Dangerfield forced trade.

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
FWIW I’m glad we chose to match the offer for Jezza.
It might make clubs think twice before looking to poach players who are restricted free agents going forward.
Let us know on draft night how you go trading 16 and 19 for say 12 and a future second. Tipping there won’t be many buyers

First club to actually end up with a worse net result than the original compo. Let me guess you also got 25 this year by trading 25 next year. By far and away the most valuable asset you got for Caldwell. It would be far more accurate reporting to say you got 16, 19, & 25 for Cameron and Caldwell.

Last edited:

Instincts

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was really confused as to why Geelong paid overs for players like Higgins and Cameron but I came to the realisation that they manged to pull out of a terrible draft year and invested into a good draft year being 2021. At the end of the day GWS' picks might be used 17, 20 and 28 which is still ok but they were best off asking for future picks.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
IMO:

Adelaide (C) - Lost players they wont miss. Crouch compo was unders, but they'll get a plug and play inside mid for free. From a value POV they did pretty well

Brisbane (C+) - Will all come out in the wash next year if they can get Daniher fit, but lost a contracted Witherden for free. Cockatoo is a free hit if they can get his body right.

Carlton (B) - Paid maximum value for the players they targeted, both with picks and big contracts. Fogarty could be a nice addition

Collingwood (E) - Known issues with their salary cap situation, but lost one gun midfielder, another high level small forward at bargain basement price and a solid B-grade winger

Essendon (C) - Going after Dunkley was the right play, and was worth what the Bulldogs were asking - disappointing not to land him. Caldwell is a nice addition for the price paid, Wright is not great.

Fremantle (D) - Essentially stayed out, but lost a guy they'd used Pick 6 on only a couple of years earlier.

Geelong (B) - Landed the players they needed to, and paid reasonable value. Clearly all in the next couple of years.

Gold Coast (C) - Picked up a couple of handy players, let Peter Wright go as a salary dump.

GWS (B) - Made the best of a bad hand. Can re-stock through the draft, and picked up a couple of best 22 footballers for very little. Hogan upside is still pretty big.

Hawthorn (C+) - Phillips is a nice replacement for Smith - pretty understated trade period.

Kangaroos (B+) - Made all the right moves for a rebuilding club, and essentially nabbed an entire half back line with Young, Corr and Bosenavulagi. Stephenson trade looks very astute if they can get him back to his best.

Port Adelaide (C) - Nowhere near as high on them as some. Not a massive Allir fan, and Fantasia might actually be battling to get a game. Good complimentary/depth players, but limited upside.

Richmond (D) - Gifted two depth players, didn't really participate otherwise.

St Kilda (B) - Crouch is a solid mid, McKernan and Higgins are currently depth. Also lost Hind, who was tracking well and added a nice point of difference for their 22.

Sydney (C) - Lost a best 22 defender and brought in a first ruckman. Still in the wilderness with their list though.

West Coast (B) - Witherden trade was elite, lost a backup ruckman.

Western Bulldogs (A) - Treloar trade was executed perfectly to allow them picks for JUH. Martin will be a more than the sum of his parts as a mentor to English, and may even play a decent number of games. Hannan is minor upgrade on some of their mid-sized forwards, but nothing to write home about.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Dogs did well, but could have been a lot better had they traded Dunkley and on traded his return for deficiencies elsewhere.

Both an upgrade over Keath and Cordy. Plus BZT is 20ish

Not even close, Keath was fantastic this year hardly beaten and finished 6th in best and fairest, we are lacking a second key defender though, BZT being 20ish means nothing given he has shown nothing to suggest he will even be an average player, Lewis Young is 20ish and played some good games, doesn't mean he is going to make it either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back