Review Winners and losers of the draft (2018 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway back to the topic at hand.

After 20 rounds (as much as it hurts) I'm going to say Port were the big winners of the draft.
Rozee, Butters, Duursma are all high quality and playing at a good level already.

Carlton have a ripper in Walsh but it was a fairly no-brainer type pick.
Gold Coast with King and Lukocious look great too. And we havent even seen Rankine due to injury.

I mean generally teams with the early picks will win the draft.
If Rankine can translate what he did during his U18 year to AFL, BT is going to be unbearable (In a way that i find him likeable to be honest)
Kid does some insanely good things.

If they can keep Luko, the two are in tune to each other and will play well together. Much like the combo i wanted in 2016 of Taranto and Battle (though i cant complain with McGrath and Ridley)

Looking at the Dons draft, we look to have invested in the future of our forward line
Mozzie, Gown and Ham (who could also turn out to be a quick winger too)
Why we retook Dea i'll never know. Had that been a gamble on Stack, we'd have added 3 kids to work on plus Stack, Shiel and Saad (future pick in 2017) to our best 22.

Walsh is an absolute gun midfielder and Stocker will be a fine addition our engine room too. We’ll probably end up 15th in 2019 with some luck, and Adelaide could finish 12th.
Stephen Silvagni didn’t di too bad after all.

I think looking at Port, GWS and Blues, they'd all be pretty happy. Not taking anything away from those clubs, but it helps when you have mega-currency.

Personally, I take my hat off to the clubs who go in with f*ck all and come out with a decent haul. West Coast went in with no 1st Rounder, a comp pick (from Lycett) and an average 2nd. They managed to come away with picks 28, 31, 35 and 39 (Cameron) - and an upgrade in 2019. Pretty impressive stuff.

The early crowing (pardon the pun) from Adelaide fans in this thread is hilarious.

Genuinely thought they had traded two late teens picks for pick 1. And Jones doesn’t look up to speed with the rest of the top 10 either :oops:

The early crowing (pardon the pun) from Adelaide fans in this thread is hilarious.

Genuinely thought they had traded two late teens picks for pick 1. And Jones doesn’t look up to speed with the rest of the top 10 either :oops:

Difference is that came from supporters

We didnt have club officials going "but what if we finish above Adelaide".

Adelaide: Awful year, sack the coach, blow the whole thing up - 10 wins
Carlton: Hasn't our amazing turnaround been unbelievable - 7 wins

Now I know both clubs are at very different stages, but lets be honest you still didnt win the trade. Maybe you broke even but thats at best.

Also Stocker doesn't really look up to speed either in that case. The difference is we have a history of developing our players over time unlike CFC.

Difference is that came from supporters

We didnt have club officials going "but what if we finish above Adelaide".

Adelaide: Awful year, sack the coach, blow the whole thing up - 10 wins
Carlton: Hasn't our amazing turnaround been unbelievable - 7 wins

Now I know both clubs are at very different stages, but lets be honest you still didnt win the trade. Maybe you broke even but thats at best.

Also Stocker doesn't really look up to speed either in that case. The difference is we have a history of developing our players over time unlike CFC.

Don’t think Carlton expected to finish above Adelaide at all.

Is the difference between pick 3 (could be 4 or 5 after academy/PP) and 8/9/10 in a pretty even draft worth giving up a first rounder in a better draft? I’m not sure.

yea Jones wasnt part of my elite 11 last year, so it was a bit of a reach for Adelaide

my elite 11 were
pick 1. Walsh
pick 2. Lukosious
pick 3. Rankine
pick 4. M.King
pick 5. Rozee
pick 6. B.King
pick 7. Smith
pick 8. Thomas
pick 10. Blakey
pick 11. Caldwell
pick 15. Clark

then i had pick 18. Duursma as my favourite outside the elite 11

i thought Jones was picked at least 10 spots early, so a bit of a reach but he might come good.

Jarred Cameron was one i had early as well, but shifted down as most other people on bigfooty were not on board, he has done well at WCE, also a fan of Jack Ross and Ely Smith, Ross doing ok at Richmond, Smith developing at Brisbane, Butters reminded me of Zac Fischer from Carlton whom i liked also.

i admit Sydney Stack has done better than i thought he would, i thought he was too fumbly and ran into trouble too much, but knew he had talent, but has he done well for himself this year, i got this one wrong.

Last edited:
Don’t think Carlton expected to finish above Adelaide at all.

Is the difference between pick 3 (could be 4 or 5 after academy/PP) and 8/9/10 in a pretty even draft worth giving up a first rounder in a better draft? I’m not sure.

Not expect but SOS said it on camera to the media so he cant really back away from it now.

Yeh its pretty even. Obviously we didnt rate Stocker and whoever else was available.
Will be interesting to see what we end up with from pick 3.

yea Jones wasnt part of my elite 11 last year, so it was a bit of a reach for Adelaide

my elite 11 were
pick 1. Walsh
pick 2. Lukosious
pick 3. Rankine
pick 4. M.King
pick 5. Rozee
pick 6. B.King
pick 7. Smith
pick 8. Thomas
pick 10. Blakey
pick 11. Caldwell
pick 15. Clark

then i had pick 18. Duursma as my favourite outside the elite 11

i thought Jones was picked at least 10 spots early, so a bit of a reach but he might come good.

Jarred Cameron was one i had early as well, but shifted down as most other people on bigfooty were not on board, he has done well at WCE, also a fan of Jack Ross and Ely Smith, Ross doing ok at Richmond, Smith developing at Brisbane, Butters reminded me of Zac Fischer from Carlton whom i liked also.

i admit Sydney Stack has done better than i thought he would, i thought he was too fumbly and ran into trouble too much, but knew he had talent, but has he done well for himself this year, i got this one wrong.
Ely started slowly with us and then had an injury but has been very good late in the season in the NEAFL, I watch all the games on youtube and he looks like he really has something, inside beast with good disposal, a burst of pace and can float forward and kick a goal, I also like his confident demeanor once he crosses the white line.

How high do you see his upside, can you compare his game to a current/past player?

Ely started slowly with us and then had an injury but has been very good late in the season in the NEAFL, I watch all the games on youtube and he looks like he really has something, inside beast with good disposal, a burst of pace and can float forward and kick a goal, I also like his confident demeanor once he crosses the white line.

How high do you see his upside, can you compare his game to a current/past player?

its been a long time since i saw him play, but like you say he is an inside beast with good disposal and a burst of pace, which caught my eye, i would like to see how he goes at the next level at some point, i dont like to compare youngsters to current players unless its something i see naturally.

I've always found it weird how people want to revisit drafts when most kids haven't even debuted yet. I'd be interested to see what % Jones spent in the midfield during his AFL games, because I'm not sure anyone thought he'd have a huge impact as a small forward so it might just be a matter of playing out of position.

In both St Kilda and Freo he inherited very good lists and persisted with those lists with minimum youth introduction. This resulted in a determination in performance due to the lack of development. As I said, the last few years he has been forced to play kids.
I would imagine every team would aim for a "determination in performance" :moustache:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always found it weird how people want to revisit drafts when most kids haven't even debuted yet. I'd be interested to see what % Jones spent in the midfield during his AFL games, because I'm not sure anyone thought he'd have a huge impact as a small forward so it might just be a matter of playing out of position.

Yeh it staggers me how fans of bottom clubs consistently think their youth is better because they are gifted games.

Good clubs dont just play kids for the sake of it.

You're spot on about Jones. He showed in Rd 23 what he can do when he's played in the correct position.
With our cleanout this year there will be a lot more chance for him next year if he plays well.

Considering we had pick 19 as our first pick, I don't think we could have done much better than we have. RCD will be excellent, Ross is a gun, Turner looks the goods, English is solid and Stack is ridiculous for a rookie. Plus we got Lynch as a FA so we didn't give up picks.
How did RCD go this yr ? Was super keen on him will be a gun I reckon.

Rankine showed enough in jlt to give you an idea of how good he’ll be.

Didn’t get much of it and only played low game time but amazing boundary line goal followed by a set shot with man on the mark at 53m.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I still think Rankine will be right up there when all is said and done would of been my no 1 pick pre draft.

How did RCD go this yr ? Was super keen on him will be a gun I reckon.
Struggles to find the ball but not sure how much of that is just not being super fit cracks in hard though and loves a tackle some don’t think he will make it

As for our other draftees stack will be a star and tiger fans love jack ross who did great on debut against your mob and was best 22 until hurting his ankle since then played one game in the seniors but playing well in the twos

Turner gets a bit of the ball something to work with

English won’t make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back