Analysis - Winners and losers of the draft (2018 edition) | Page 18 | BigFooty

Analysis Winners and losers of the draft (2018 edition)

Discussion in 'Drafts, Trading & Free Agency' started by raffrox, Nov 22, 2018.

1. tragic

tragic Draftee

Carlton
    Geelong only asked for that in the end because West Coast could not procure a top 10 pick which is what Geelong had always asked for. Not sure how hard West Coast tried but they could have packaged their two second rounders for a mid first. Think they may have tried to do the deal Sydney did with Adelaide and Carlton for pick 13 but it was already too far down the road.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Suma Magic

Suma Magic Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Everyone rated Sydney well for the trade they did with West Coast. But was it actually that good?

Based on assumed finishing positions from the odds market of 3rd for West Coast and 7th for Sydney:

As a result of the trade they ended up with picks 25, 44 and 51. Also a 2019 third from West Coast, which will be pick 52.

If they hadn't made the trade, they would have ended up with picks 43, 44, 45 and 55. And also kept their future second (pick 30).

So in the trade scenario they will be using (or have used) 25, 44, 51 and 52.

In the non-trade scenario they would have used (or will use) 30, 43, 44, 45 and 55.

You can say that the 44s cancel out, and perhaps the 51/52 and 45/55 cancel out.

That leaves it as:
    - pick 25, or
    - picks 30 and 43.

Ants likes this.
  3. Lance Uppercut

Lance Uppercut Eat bling

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Fatebringer
  4. LukeParkerno1

LukeParkerno1 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    We won't need our second rounders next year- we have an academy player in the pipeline who will be around that mark whose name is escaping me for some reason. he'll be a late first-mid second bid probably. Made sense to have a live one this year in a strong draft. This really was a win win trade. Both cubs got something out of it, that's how trading should be.

5. Suma Magic

Suma Magic Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    That's good info that I hadn't considered. Although playing devil's advocate, you could have kept your second and then traded it next year once you know where the player is actually rated.

On the numbers the trade is a loss for Sydney, but overall I don't think it's necessarily a bad result. More just interesting to see what the outcome was if they hadn't done the trade.

6. LukeParkerno1

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    We probably rated a few prospects this year (and Rowbottom looks like a mid we've lacked for a number of years) who were still on the table as higher than keeping a second next year, of which that second would just be used for points anyway. Can always split out first next year if need be. Honestly I feel very comfortable with the trade and so should West Coast. Gives them flexibility in the likely Tim Kelly deal (will cost at least 1-2 second rounders out of your 5 you have acquired).

Suma Magic likes this.
  7. master bate

master bate Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    It's not as good as the instant reactions to that deal but I think it's not too bad if you look at the price other teams paid this year to move up to get a pick around the 25 mark.

Gold Coast gave up 27 and 32 for 23 and a future 5th.

GWS gave up 28 and a future 2nd for 24 and a future 5th to get Bobby Hill (and to prevent a Crows academy bid).

They are both bad trades on paper from teams with exceptional circumstances but they also indicate the price is pretty steep to get in to that part of the draft.

If the Swans were happy that they'd get the players they wanted with later picks anyway then giving up pick 43 to secure a higher rated player in the 20's now instead of a player in the 30's next year makes sense to me.

8. fridgeman

fridgeman Club Legend

GWS
    Josh Rayner is the name i think you are after, not sure on details but I think projected to be a tall and playing at both ends of the ground at the moment. Someone to look out for during the season and see where he ends up being rated, member of the AFL academy but with the changes to that system I think they are only state based now

LukeParkerno1 likes this.
  9. LukeParkerno1

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    That’s the one the name just escaped me. He’s not rated as high as Blakely but probably shaping as a solid early second round selection.

fridgeman likes this.
  10. Ancient Tiger

Ancient Tiger Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    The guy had a fracture through his joint! He'll be very lucky to play well again.

11. Dudersaurus

Dudersaurus Debutant

Adelaide
    Especially given his endurance running is (was) his thing. Hate good players getting done over by injury, and hope he gets back, but as much of a steal as it seemed for Hawthorn, I'm thinking in time GWS will be the winner for getting anything in return and cap dump.

Not really draft though.

Ants likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Isaac Cumming No 1

Isaac Cumming No 1 Premium Platinum

GWS
    I wouldn't underrate his will and his professionalism as factor in getting back to best. He's top shelf in both.

13. Brett C

Brett C All Australian

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Manchester United
    The fracture has healed well and it's the syndesmosis injury that's taking time which isn't unusual.

Players from multiple sports have suffered this type of injury or worse and come back from them. The fact that he's one of the most professional players in the comp gives him more hope than most and I hardly think the Hawks would have taken the chance on a 3 year deal if they had major concerns.

Isaac Cumming No 1 likes this.
  14. Ancient Tiger

Ancient Tiger Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    The club doctor himself thought he was a 50:50 chance to be able to play AFL level footy. That's why he went so cheap.

15. Brett C

Brett C All Australian

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Manchester United
  16. Dudersaurus

Dudersaurus Debutant

Adelaide
    I know DFA not draft, but does anyone else think Sydney giving Dan Menzel Alex Johnson's number is just tempting fate a touch too hard?

17. LukeParkerno1

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Did think it was a little strange

18. Saintly Viewed

Saintly Viewed Kingston Town

Collingwood
    So you’re saying your club is the Jack of all trades?

Virgin Dog likes this.