Review Winners and losers of the draft (2018 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anything about Richmond's draft selections other than Riley Collier-Dawkins, who was high on my list of wants with my first pick.

Don't know nor heard of Jack Ross, Frazer Turner and Luke English. So, I really don't know how Richmond did overall.

Is there a difference between elite talent and role players between the two sports?

Do you want Kelly or do you want Tyson and Salem?

Who do you think Melbourne would rather have right now as they challenge for a flag?

Don Tyson helping them get to the window slightly earlier does **** all if he’s not their while they challenge and Kelly is a superstar compared to Salem

Melbourne would have the best midfield for the next 7 years if Kelly was in the team with Bradshaw, viney, Oliver, petrecca etc

Wrong. If Tyson hadn't helped us get to the window earlier then Kelly or whoever wouldn't have developed as we would still be bottom of the ladder. If we didn't improve early Vince and Cross might not have agreed to come to us.

Tyson was awesome in his first couple seasons for us.

We didn't win the trade by any measure but we got what we needed out of it.

Trade Cripps to Freo and Carlton wouldnt get within 5 goals of a win next year. Cripps would be the difference between challanging for the 8 next year and the 2019 Premeirship for Freo!
Wow just wow, Cripps is a very good player but no chance does he make freo challenge for the premiership.

Liked North's haul.

Thomas and Scott were certainties but both offer loads of potential. Curtis Taylor is a steal at that pick and improves their forward line and Crocker is a mystery but we'll have to see.

Tom McKenzie as a rookie sealed it for me, he'll be on their senior list next year
Wilkinson the one i think will have a serious impact next year too as a small forward

Very happy with our draft
Came into it with a bunch of picks in the 40s and 50s and netted Tarryn Thomas, Curtis Taylor, Bailey Scott and Joel Crocker

We won by trolling West Coast fans with the Valente selection.

No, I don't know **** all about either Foley or Valente. Yes, I am that petty.
Given we overlooked him twice before your pick, fairly sure we had made our mind up about him. Im sure we liked him but we just liked others better.

I hope he does well for you guys though. Wouldn’t have been unhappy had he landed at WC.

I like what the Crows did. Clearly no burning desire for a certain player/type so facilitated trades for teams who did - simply accumulating draft capital.

On the same token, I also like that Carlton and GWS got involved in the live trading to target players they really wanted. That alone takes some balls, and given how new live trading is & potentially advantageous if you really like a player, shapes as a high-risk high-reward type move.

Cherry-picked comparisons to NBA are laughably ignorant and pretty much sum up why 90% of BigFooty is utter trash. Trading up and down happens very frequently in the NFL and there are countless examples when it works one way, and countless examples where it works the other way.

It requires a different perspective on how valuable a draftee is - evidently, many just look at the pick number and blindly use that. But what’s more important is how good you think a player is and to be even more specific, how you think he will perform at your club. In the specific example of Stocker, SOS is as privy to all the info and speculation about next year as any. That includes the players likely to be available in next year’s draft - he understands the opportunity cost.

It also includes Bolton’s plans for the team, where he sees deficiencies, areas he wants to focus on, etc. so clearly he sees something he likes.

I assume that after Carlton’s 50 #1 picks no one can seriously say ANOTHER year of the exact same strategy, in 12 months time, is the way to go. In fact, SOS & Bolts have been explicit since 2015 about the planned stages of the rebuild and this is exactly in line with that. Sometimes you have a vision for your side and you need to make moves to execute it. May fail but there’s enough there to get me excited. I’m all for it :thumbsu:

I really like the players GWS picked up, again.
GWS and Cats done well for what draft hand they had. Gold Coast did not * up their strong hand, so well done to them.
Crows not finding a way to rise up draft order to get one of Rankine, Rozee or Luko seems underwhelming for what picks they started with.
Well done Port on getting their target Rozee. Cost a lot though and traded heaps to Fremantle to get to such a pick initially.
Eagles seemed to be active trading too. I liked their level of activity despite being premier and not having a strong hand in draft.
Happy with my own club too in getting an extra pick they did not start with and being first club to be really ballsy in first draft of live trading.

Rest of clubs have no strong impression with, one way or other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is Conor Idun??
A kid of African heritage from the Geelong Falcons. A tall defender who played for Vic Country at the champs. It was thought he was a NGA player for Geelong earlier in the season but it wasn't the case. Geelong tried to get him tied to them and were looking at drafting him with a later pick.

I can understand winners and losers of the trade period but winners and losers of the draft is just pure guesswork. Every year its just whichever team had lots of high draft picks 'wins' right after the draft. For example Gold Coast were the winners a few years back when they had 4 top picks in like the top 10 or whatever it was with Ainsworth, Bowes, Scrimshaw and Brodie. If we redid that thread now I don't think they would be rated near as highly (especially with Scrimshaw not working out).

Ironically in hindsight the teams that end up 'winning' the drafts are the ones who nail their value picks and get stars with later picks. Its pretty rare that someone drafts a player with a top 5 pick and it ends up being a steal. You pretty much need to land a Martin or a Franklin to be able to claim that.

Trade Cripps to Freo and Carlton wouldnt get within 5 goals of a win next year. Cripps would be the difference between challanging for the 8 next year and the 2019 Premeirship for Freo!
Not sure what's funnier, the mere mention of Cripps going to Fremantle or you suggesting they will be challenging for the 8 next year....

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Once the SA boys experience life with clean water and now electricity they will stay! :p
Jokes aside, I think the fact that you have a South Aussie coach and Asst is going to play a big part in keeping them. It's going to be a big ask, both have been heavily courted by Adelaide for a couple of years and both have openly stated their desire to play for the Crows. I like the fact you've gone all in on South Aussie lads though - you have the same number of SA players on your list as we do - and I think that's a sound strategy to try and make them feel comfortable and want to try and build something together.

I can see us doing something with you on Himmelberg for Luko in the future. And I'd probably lean towards Rankine asking for a trade. But you have 2 years to cement that group, so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I really like Port's 3 early picks as well as their late pick ups, but I wonder about getting 3 running player types in the first round without a real centre square mid type. I know they needed to replace Wingard and Polec and that Wines and SPP will be around for a while, but Ebert and Boak need replacing soon too. I was surprised they didn't take one of Stocker, RCD or Hateley at some stage.

GWS keep nailing it.

Like a couple of the Dogs later picks in Vandermeer and Cavarra.

No it was Buku Khamis as a NGA rookie when he was meant to go top 30-40.

Am I doing this right?
It's all a matter of personal opinion. I said before the draft that I'd have selected Oscar at pick 25 If we had it and needed to. I rate him quite highly and to get him at 74 was an absolute steal.

I guess nobody made a bid because they knew he was always going to come back and play for Geelong.

Jokes aside, I think the fact that you have a South Aussie coach and Asst is going to play a big part in keeping them. It's going to be a big ask, both have been heavily courted by Adelaide for a couple of years and both have openly stated their desire to play for the Crows. I like the fact you've gone all in on South Aussie lads though - you have the same number of SA players on your list as we do - and I think that's a sound strategy to try and make them feel comfortable and want to try and build something together.

I can see us doing something with you on Himmelberg for Luko in the future. And I'd probably lean towards Rankine asking for a trade. But you have 2 years to cement that group, so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Himmelberg for Luko? WTF. How stupid do you think GC are. That’s one of the most stupid trade suggestions I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RCD an excellent pick up and exactly the type of mid we needed, couldnt believe he fell to us and neither could our recruiters.

Ross is a hard at it mid who could play very early (won oakleighs bnf off 12 games), same as English. Turner more of a long term project, would have been in next year's draft if born a week later, but has speed and a good goal sense.

Overall very happy. Weve now replaced Miles, Conca, C ellis, Lloyd with 4 young mids plus Weller as a rookie.

Himmelberg for Luko? WTF. How stupid do you think GC are. That’s one of the most stupid trade suggestions I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not that I was suggesting a straight swap, but we shall see. Harry is a gun I'm sure they'd like to keep, and Elliot will come on this year and be a good AFL player imo. Can ruck as well as play forward.

I'll just bookmark this, shall I? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back