Review Winners and Losers of the Trade Period 2022

Who won trade week 2022? (up to 3 selections)

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 116 21.9%
  • Richmond

Votes: 173 32.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 348 65.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 58 10.9%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 165 31.1%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • GWS

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Essendon

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Freo

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • West Coast

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Carlton

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 6.8%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • North Melb

Votes: 33 6.2%
  • Stkilda

Votes: 8 1.5%
  • Sydney

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest loser - the AFL's flimsy equalisation policies. Blown to smithereens and unlikely to be able to be glued back together.

GWS comment that their draft board looks a lot different to Vic clubs is damning but very true. Having to burn picks just so they can grab the one top five player who is the least likely to request to go home is so wrong.

We've reached a watershed moment where the big Vic clubs may never be out of contention again.
That is definitely true, although Brisbane and Sydney have almost certainly got rid of the go home factor. They almost seem destination clubs. That must be about culture and selective recruitment. Brisbane and Sydney are much more attractive as destinations than Western Sydney or Gold Coast. I have always struggled with the recruitment of players to interstate destinations. They aren't paid nearly enough to be retained (Its not the NBA) and clubs should be focussed on developing talent.

Yet to be convinced Port are winners here.

They still haven't addressed their key backline stocks, their key forward and rucks are still an issue, and I am not sure their midfield is all that razzle dazzle anyway.

Still reliant on too many mature age players and they have wiped out their hand for the next 2 drafts basically

It's a Boom or Bust trade period for them really. Could really go either way.

Yet to be convinced Port are winners here.

They still haven't addressed their key backline stocks, their key forward and rucks are still an issue, and I am not sure their midfield is all that razzle dazzle anyway.

Still reliant on too many mature age players and they have wiped out their hand for the next 2 drafts basically

It's a Boom or Bust trade period for them really. Could really go either way.
This is why I can’t see why people are saying port are all in for a flag next year. We are still well short in multiple areas, and I have said this on another forum, but as soon as Dunkley decided to go with Brisbane and Horne Francis came in it seems like we are now tilted slightly towards the future than the present. Don’t get me wrong I am happy to get jhf in, but he doesn’t improve us immediately like Dunkley would have.

This is why I can’t see why people are saying port are all in for a flag next year. We are still well short in multiple areas, and I have said this on another forum, but as soon as Dunkley decided to go with Brisbane and Horne Francis came in it seems like we are now tilted slightly towards the future than the present. Don’t get me wrong I am happy to get jhf in, but he doesn’t improve us immediately like Dunkley would have.

Ratagulea would have been an fantastic get for Port, it's such a shame Geelong and Port couldn't get a deal done there, I would have been a bit more bullish about Port's prospects next season otherwise.

GWS did it for Darcy last year.

Don't give anyone a break, it may just be the team that narrowly beats you in a future important game

I just want to see 7 picks evaporate in one go to show what a farce it is that you can get the best player in the draft for that many junk picks
Matty rendall convinced you should pick the player you are getting and give him the $10k rather than making a competitor pay as much as possible for their player.
What a nincompoop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure that they have won every trade and draft period since they last won a final.
All hail dodo. Who cares about actual ladder positions, finals and flags the true measure of a list manager is longetivity, having a cool nickname, big footy mentions and claiming trade week wins each year.

Dodo will outlast the earth itself. Rumour has it if bowes nominated Essendon, dodo was after pick 5 and 7 from the suns to make it fair.

When Weidman, setterfield and trading out a failed pick 5 are highlights of a 20 year career in list management dodo and his continued employment is the real winner.

Pretty happy with ess trade period this year, which says a lot in itself.

How are Jack Bowes, bruhn, Henry and whoever they pick at 7 helping them win next years flag? Great for their future but doesn’t really strengthen them immediately.
Parfitt replaces Selwood and can be better than Joel was this year. Comfortably.

Holmes comes back in to the 22.

O’Connor, Bowes, Bruhn, Henry and every chance pick 7 and Conor McKenna give them easily the best depth in the league. That’s a depth list that already included Menegola, Ceglar, Conway, Knevitt, Neale and Esava. Not the best but useful talls (watch for Neale and Conway) but exceptional midfield and flanker cover.

They also don’t need to get any better. They just need their best 22 healthy for when it matters.

Hawkins is made of cement and doesn’t move more than 8 steps at a time so he’s easy to cover. Isaac Smith doesn’t stop moving so that’s not an issue. Until either of them start to slow down they may as well be 23 not 33.

So it’s Stanley who’s easily covered, then Tuohy and Duncan which Bowes is helpful for (plus O’Connor and Menegola). Rohan with Henry. The big one is limiting Danger to 16 games and Bruhn and pick 7 help that.

Biggest loser - the AFL's flimsy equalisation policies. Blown to smithereens and unlikely to be able to be glued back together.

GWS comment that their draft board looks a lot different to Vic clubs is damning but very true. Having to burn picks just so they can grab the one top five player who is the least likely to request to go home is so wrong.

We've reached a watershed moment where the big Vic clubs may never be out of contention again.
not buying the GWS whine.
They're taking a vic kid who lives less than an hour from the city. Bacchus may not be inner burbs, but it isn't country.
McCartney moved up to beat North to him. North took the deal to soften the JHF blow
they also just pushed an academy kid out the door.

standard Jason "woe is me" McCartney post-trade period sook.

Imagine post-JHF and Rankine, clubs are all thinking that way.

How are Jack Bowes, bruhn, Henry and whoever they pick at 7 helping them win next years flag? Great for their future but doesn’t really strengthen them immediately.
Bruhn covers the loss of Selwood
Bowes might step in and help rotations too.

Henry will take time, but he's good to replace Rohan eventually.

Pick 7 should help them out depending who they get.

I rate North’s trade period.

Melbourne I think will improve next year but will need to hit the draft hard, or attract a few young players like Geelong, as the list looks too and middle aged heavy

Back