Review Winners and losers of Trade week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brisbane are a big winner for me. Managed to get Beams and Christensen and lost Patful, pick 5, pick 25 and Crisp. I'm sure Brisbane supporters would take that.
No losers as of yet, Collingwood could be a loser if Greenwood doesn't perform. Also Geelong may struggle for outside run now that Varcoe and Christensen have left.

Christensen isn't really an outside runner. Collingwood win or lose depending on how Levi Greenwood performs. Greenwood is a much better player defensively so if he racks up similar numbers to Dayne Beams we win.

Dogs also I'f put them as a win as they turned a bad situation into getting a key forward they are crying out for. Depends on how Boyd performs but until otherwise I'd say its a win.

Didn't lose anyone of note, lost a couple depth players and Malceski for money, but it wasn't like you lost Mitchell or Parker.
I think they probably would've liked to trade Membrey or the Malceski compo picks for a ready to go player.

But hey, bit hard to complain too much as a swans fan but they manage anyway.

Not overly happy with Melbourne sitting back and watching Clark and Frawley go and only bring it bit part players in Frost, Lumumba and Garlett. Especially with the Frost deal. We were on the right track trading Trengove but he got injured again. For some reason we seemed so keen to retain players instead of turning over the list and getting rid of these guys.

Did someone forget to tell the West Australian teams that trade week was on?

Timezones difficulties - AFL House thought the difference was two weeks, not two hours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If your team didn't do anything does that count as a win or loss.
Depends what your stategy is. I think West Coast found out a bit about Simpson this year and he found out about the players. Next season he needs to get the maximum he can from the players under his game plan and by playing the best 22 he has. If you finish top 6 I think you'll be a destination and make some moves. If you finish out of the 8 it's time to shake things up.

West Coast the biggest losers I reckon. An ordinary list which did not change one iota.
Also, I think Geelong have played the riskiest hand in this trade period. Their list now looks slow and top heavy (does Geelong have the slowest midfield in the comp?), but if Clark and Stanley can produce it may be worth it. Will be worth revisiting in 12 months time.
Brisbane, Port, Hawthorn, GWS and Gold Coast the clear winners in trade week. Saints and Blues did ok. Jury out on NM, Ess, Melb and Collingwood.
WB recovered something from the mess but I still can't fathom why they got rid of their coach AND the senior players he was supposed to have upset. Why did McCartney have to leave again? Supposedly he is a brilliant development coach and now the Dogs have an incredibly young list which seems full of talent. Wouldn't McCartney be a good coach to lead them?
Adelaide did next to nothing and only got a couple of back-up players. Fail.
Richmond and Freo, like West Coast, didn't do anything but at least their lists are already in ok shape.
And Sydney - all round disaster really.

But hey, bit hard to complain too much as a swans fan but they manage anyway.
Yeah, it must be so tough to have won a couple of flags recently, to have had an extra mil in the salary cap than pretty much every other team and as a result have barely dropped down the ladder for over a decade, have their own academy to develop elite talent with from a young age and then draft them on the cheap and have the likes of Franklin and Tippett playing for them and be unlikely to drop out of the top 8 for the forseeable future.

I don't know how they do it, they really must be made of tough stuff! :D

Depends what your stategy is. I think West Coast found out a bit about Simpson this year and he found out about the players. Next season he needs to get the maximum he can from the players under his game plan and by playing the best 22 he has. If you finish top 6 I think you'll be a destination and make some moves. If you finish out of the 8 it's time to shake things up.
Reckon Garlett will go alright for the Dees. Is a proven Goalkicker and will go alright if hes given enough opportunities

Losing one of the competition's best midfielders can't be good for us. I reckon we're the biggest loser right now.

Last edited:
After smashing last year's draft, Brisbane have continued that on in this year's trade period. Port did extremely well out of Ryder landing in their lap as well.

Bit disappointed that we weren't able to pull off a really good trade for pick 1, but getting pick 21 for Stanley and being about to pick up Membrey in the PSD rather than through a trade hopefully puts our list ahead of where it was two weeks ago.

WB recovered something from the mess but I still can't fathom why they got rid of their coach AND the senior players he was supposed to have upset. Why did McCartney have to leave again? Supposedly he is a brilliant development coach and now the Dogs have an incredibly young list which seems full of talent. Wouldn't McCartney be a good coach to lead them?

Lots of rumour and speculation that while the players were developing nicely under Macca, there were some disgruntled younger guys - not with the message, but the way it was delivered.

I was a big fan of Macca's plan - not entirely convinced on the execution at times - but the risk was that further damage was done and we'd lose the younger guys too (or important parts of that group0. Not saying I agree, or that I have all the details - but the club consulted with guys like Roughead and Stringer - they're the future for us - and then made a call.

So putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with an incredibly large number - I suspect our first review maybe wasn't as thorough as we would have liked in hindsight.... And some of these issues should have been addressed a little earlier.

West Coast the biggest losers I reckon. An ordinary list which did not change one iota.

All the best players in our history have come through the draft. Can't think of too many good players for WCE who were traded or FA pickups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back