Winners and Losers of trade week

Remove this Banner Ad

If he plays funny buggers then he gets traded in 2 seasons for a nice pick and we gain 900k in salary cap space to go for a free agent.

Highly unlikely it ever comes to that. Martin and his manager seem quite set on the Blues and what we are doing.

yeah its highly unrealistic. just sounds a bit risky

Melbourne probably can't pay him that much in 2020.
If they did, I reckon they would have been as big into offers to Coniglio as Carlton were leading into Free Agency this year. I do not recall them being a front runner so suspect they not have anywhere near as much room as Carlton would have for 2020 TPP.

ive got no idea about the dees salary cap

would be a nice fit though, they were in a prelim recently and could some outside blokes. They didnt look that far off it when Viney, Oliver and co. were firing

Winner: Geelong. Got Jenkins for free pretty much (GC 2020 3rd rounder is almost identical to the pick 37 they traded); straight swapped Zac Smith (who may have been de-listed anyway) for Jack Steven; Kelly trade in the end probably does favour WC, but Geel still got 4 picks in the top 40 and should really by the law of averages get at least one A-grade player with one of those picks, with the potential for even two decent players, so not a momentous loss at all.

Loser: Gold Coast. Traded a third round pick (58) for a 30 year old ruckman (Zac Smith) who may have been de-listed anyway and who will possibly spend the entire ensuing seasons in the 2s injury permitting. Tried to bully Carlton into paying way overs for someone who realistically is worth a pick in the mid-late 30s and could have taken a future 2nd and 3rd for him which would have still been pretty good overs. Got Greenwood who I rate as having really good upside to improve further improve on what he has delivered thus far, but could have got him for free in the PSD really anyway - still paid a fair price no doubt, and he should reward them accordingly in the years to come, but doesn't change the fact that they in reality lost pick 58 and Carlton's 2020 2nd and 3rd round selections for Zac Smith as a net total for Smith/ Martin, which are the two worst outcomes of the period.

And no, using Martin as fodder and letting him in reality walk to Carlton/ Melbourne for free doesn't do them any service. It's just recklessly biting the hand that feeds. Hitler made the German army stand their ground against Russia even though he knew he would lose them all for nothing just to send a message. The end message is you are now weaker than what you could have been and you have in fact manufactured a new problem for yourself (you may now not have enough draft picks to get the amount new talent into your club that you need and are increasing the chances of remaining in this continuum of floundering).

How can you be sure to price the Demons out?
We do not know their TPP.
Even if it works and we get him, we end up paying him more than we intended so it is far from ideal.
Then he has to deliver on field to justify it.
I'm not sure we can price the Demons out. You replied to my last post when I said I was uncertain about how this will play out. I'm reporting here what I've read from Sam Edmund and others on Big Footy. I wouldnt have a clue. I don't care if we pay overs contract wise for him up front. By the time our young guns are out of contract it will be balanced out.

I'm not sure we can price the Demons out. You replied to my last post when I said I was uncertain about how this will play out. I'm reporting here what I've read from Sam Edmund and others on Big Footy. I wouldnt have a clue. I don't care if we pay overs contract wise for him up front. By the time our young guns are out of contract it will be balanced out.
I do not care what he paid in 2020 either. As long as under salary cap, that is all the matters. But I do care what he might be paid in 2021 and 2022 years so hopefully it averages out no more than $600K a season as later years will want to upgrade contracts for Curnow, Walsh, McKay, SPS, Dow, etc etc so cannot afford to allow him to be paid big bucks long term.
Example.. $900K 2020
$450K 2021
$450K 2022

I do not care what he paid in 2020 either. As long as under salary cap, that is all the matters. But I do care what he might be paid in 2021 and 2022 years so hopefully it averages out no more than $600K a season.
Example.. $900K 2020
$450K 2021
$450K 2022
Yeah it would be you'd imagine. They would front load the first year to make it near impossible for Melbourne to match then renegotiate and extend his contract for another few years so it does end up average 600k per year over three years. By 2021 - 2022, he will only be taking up 400-450k while we attempt to resign the young brigade coming out of contract. I believe we've been paying the minimum cap for a few years and have some spare cash put aside hence the interest in Shiel and Coniglio. It will just be sitting there this year so we might as well use some to get a talented player in who in the right environment make an impact.

Yeah it would be you'd imagine. They would front load the first year to make it near impossible for Melbourne to match then renegotiate and extend his contract for another few years so it does end up average 600k per year over three years. By 2021 - 2022, he will only be taking up 400-450k while we attempt to resign the young brigade coming out of contract. I believe we've been paying the minimum cap for a few years and have some spare cash put aside hence the interest in Shiel and Coniglio. It will just be sitting there this year so we might as well use some to get a talented player in who in the right environment make an impact.

You can't front load the contract, the AFL bases it on the total contract.

Which players below are A grade?

2010 – Dyson Heppell V Jack Darling
2011 – Billy Longer V Todd Elton
2012 – Sam Mayes V Jack Viney
2013 – Luke McDonald V Zac Merrett
2014 – Peter Wright V Toby Mclean
2015 – Callum AhChee V Kieran Collins
2016 – Griffen Logue V Brandan Parfitt
2017 – Nick Coffield V Liam Ryan

26 has been better than 8 in recent years.

Its a futile game trying to argue with this bloke. Is one of the most ignorant posters on here.
The fact that he cant interpret your FACTS, just reinforces the issue.
For what ever reason he cant seem to understand that the 1st rounder for next years draft equates to the same (or similar value) of this years. ON TOP of the extra picks you received.
I think that NM had an excellent trade period, the most underrated IMO. Rawlings will only enhance that next year too. Good luck

A key note:

A rookie listed player that was not retained by their team must renominate for the national draft to be eligible for the PSD and Rookie draft!
So if that is up to date rules for 2019, then Martin, being a primary listed player, should be able to avoid nominating for National Draft and just make himself available in PSD.

Last edited:
Pretty stoked with Geelong's trade week.

Shored up the now while we're in contention by adding Jenkins and Steven and shored up our future by taking picks 14,17, 24 and 36 to this years draft and having 2 first rounders next year as well as virtually two seconds.

8 picks in the top 40 of the next two drafts is a huge win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty stoked with Geelong's trade week.

Shored up the now while we're in contention by adding Jenkins and Steven and shored up our future by taking picks 14,17, 24 and 36 to this years draft and having 2 first rounders next year as well as virtually two seconds.

8 picks in the top 40 of the next two drafts is a huge win.

I can see what Geelong has tried to do, however personally I think the window has closed for one last flag with this core group.

Some players are ageing badly and blokes like Jenkins + Steven might be coming in a bit too late.

The picks are the real win for the Cats as I suspect they will be rebuilding a little over the next 5+ years.

If you have 900k and 300k. Melbourne will only have to match 600k per not do the same front loading... also I'm not sure you can renegotiate the deal if it's been put on him in the draft like that from memory, might be off on that

Saints are the best. No doubt that if they had the same leniences and corruption on their side like others we would have won 15 flags in a row. Greatest players of all
time are from saints. in the top 10 plugger, stewart, harvey, reiwoldt - 4/10 from ONE club.

I can see what Geelong has tried to do, however personally I think the window has closed for one last flag with this core group.

Some players are ageing badly and blokes like Jenkins + Steven might be coming in a bit too late.

The picks are the real win for the Cats as I suspect they will be rebuilding a little over the next 5+ years.
I've been hearing the same thing since 2010. We'll be there abouts again next year.

The core group of our side still includes Stewart, Narkle, Parfitt, Henry, Kolodjashnij, Ratugolea, Bews, Miers and O'Connor who are all still quite young with plenty of improvement left. Then there's Cockatoo, Clark, Fogarty, Constable, Kreuger and Brownless who all have talent and will be pushing for games next year.

We're not going anywhere.

Saints are the best. No doubt that if they had the same leniences and corruption on their side like others we would have won 15 flags in a row. Greatest players of all
time are from saints. in the top 10 plugger, stewart, harvey, reiwoldt - 4/10 from ONE club.

Can I have some of your drugs please?

Agree with the HUN and the AFL. ESS had an awesome trade week and Imo won it again.

Dodoro's negotiation skills and list management brilliance is being under appreciated here. To be able to manage to not trade a contracted player is incredible negotiation. To trade in a 3rd string ruck and a little known outside but much needed player is list management brilliance rarely seen in our lifetime.

Kudos Adrian and Essendon. A strategic pairing that will no doubt bring the same finals success that it has over the last 15 years.

ESS kick ass and win trade week again.

images.jpeg

Agree with the HUN and the AFL. ESS had an awesome trade week and Imo won it again.

Dodoro's negotiation skills and list management brilliance is being under appreciated here. To be able to manage to not trade a contracted player is incredible negotiation. To trade in a 3rd string ruck and a little known outside but much needed player is list management brilliance rarely seen in our lifetime.

Kudos Adrian and Essendon. A strategic pairing that will no doubt bring the same finals success that it has over the last 15 years.

ESS kick ass and win trade week again.

View attachment 767394
im sensing sarcasm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back