Winners and Losers of trade week

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints sold the farm for a good average player. Lost a key forward, and gave away their best midfielder for nothing. Personally, i feel they had a horrible trade period.

Geelong are the big winners for me. Steven and Jenkins for nothing, and a range of great picks to reload in the draft.

Blues and Bombers big losers. Blues especially. Two players nominated them and they couldn't land either! Eddie Betts might be sentimental, but he's cooked. To offer him 2 years is crazy..

You can't front load the contract, the AFL bases it on the total contract.

Hypothetical - a two year contract for $1.8m, front loaded by $1.3m in the first year.

The Blues can use cap space set aside for Papley to soak up that first year front load before normalising his salary back to $500k by the next trade period to make room for new (or existing) targets. Then it’s just a matter of extending the contract by 2 years for say $250k, and the contract will average around $550k over the 4 years, close to original deal.

If Martin doesn’t wanna play ball like this with another clubs, it’s a straight up average of $900k a season over two years.

Agree with the HUN and the AFL. ESS had an awesome trade week and Imo won it again.

Dodoro's negotiation skills and list management brilliance is being under appreciated here. To be able to manage to not trade a contracted player is incredible negotiation. To trade in a 3rd string ruck and a little known outside but much needed player is list management brilliance rarely seen in our lifetime.

Kudos Adrian and Essendon. A strategic pairing that will no doubt bring the same finals success that it has over the last 15 years.

ESS kick ass and win trade week again.

View attachment 767394

Look man....This is a spin-free zone.

Everyone knows the one pre-existing & pre-conceived MSM imperative leading into trade-week, is that Essendon is always the Big winner…...They don't win anything else, so lets allow them this one rare shimmering moment in the sun, to bathe in the magnificent glory & moral victory Dodoro has over-seen, over the rest of the competition....

Dodo is the symbolic King of Trade Week.....It's kind of like being the King of Moomba.

Last edited:

If you have 900k and 300k. Melbourne will only have to match 600k per not do the same front loading... also I'm not sure you can renegotiate the deal if it's been put on him in the draft like that from memory, might be off on that

A club and player can renegotiate dollars and years all they want once the player is at the club, however the terms set out by the player in the draft is what hits the salary cap.

Pretty much every draft manipulation tactic has been already used and subsequently plugged with a rule adjustment.

Hypothetical - a two year contract for $1.8m, front loaded by $1.3m in the first year.

The Blues can use cap space set aside for Papley to soak up that first year front load before normalising his salary back to $500k by the next trade period to make room for new (or existing) targets. Then it’s just a matter of extending the contract by 2 years for say $250k, and the contract will average around $550k over the 4 years, close to original deal.

If Martin doesn’t wanna play ball like this with another clubs, it’s a straight up average of $900k a season over two years.

By the same logic Melbourne can use the Jamie Elliott money to soak up a big first year.

It will come down to whether Melbourne can convince Martin to want to play for them on terms both parties are comfortable with.

I don’t expect Melbourne to draft a player against their will given the potential disharmony this could create in the playing group, and I also expect the AFL to advise GCS against redrafting Martin given all the handouts GCS just received and the AFL’s desire to avoid court challenges to their player movement rules.

I expect Martin to end up at Carlton with a whole lot more scrutiny from the media and broader football public on his performance than he would’ve anticipated.

Pretty stoked with Geelong's trade week.

Shored up the now while we're in contention by adding Jenkins and Steven and shored up our future by taking picks 14,17, 24 and 36 to this years draft and having 2 first rounders next year as well as virtually two seconds.

8 picks in the top 40 of the next two drafts is a huge win.

Yep.

If Steven gets his head right (and he will now that he's out your way) then he replaces Kelly for the next 2 years. Steven was top 10 in the Brownlow only 12 months ago when he requested a trade to the Cats. Alan Richardson held onto him for 2019 because he was coaching for his career and it cost us in terms of output and trade value.

No doubt he will be very good for your mob while Selwood, Hawk and GAJ push one more time.

And if Jordan Clark's goals are anything to go by then Jenkins will fit right in. Hawkins will love hand balling to him in the goal square!

Combine those moves with full draft hauls in the next 2 years and the Cats have done very well.

Not sure why the Saints trade week was so brilliant. Can't see the Saints climbing out of mid table mediocrity with no draft picks. Not excited with their list build at all.

By the same logic Melbourne can use the Jamie Elliott money to soak up a big first year.

Sure. The Dees can do as they please and not impact the point I was making in any way. The difference in scenarios is that if drafting Martin against his will, Melbourne couldn’t expect to extend his contract further at a discounted price, meaning they would wear the full $900k per season average salary for his first 2 years, whereas in theory, Carlton wouldn’t have to.

I agree with you though, none of this happening. Martin will get to Carlton.

Not sure why the Saints trade week was so brilliant. Can't see the Saints climbing out of mid table mediocrity with no draft picks. Not excited with their list build at all.

They also lost two very good players in Bruce and Steven. The wank fest over their trade week is way over the top. Their midfield is still average at best and I don’t see where they’re kicking enough goals. They won’t able to add much over the next couple of years either, with minimal picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For sure can be done but it seems like that sort of dollar amount is a) not big enough to deter the clubs below you (including GC) who have available cap and b) has its own risks attached if anything goes wrong in the marriage between Martin and Carlton in those two years. What if you guys offer him 250k a year from 2022, you stay mid table, he becomes a star and a contender comes in offering him 600k a year? Can you trust him to be loyal?

Purely hypothetical of course - the bookies odds are he gets to Carlton, he's not the sort of bloke you play any risks with though IMO.

For sure can be done but it seems like that sort of dollar amount is a) not big enough to deter the clubs below you (including GC) who have available cap and b) has its own risks attached if anything goes wrong in the marriage between Martin and Carlton in those two years. What if you guys offer him 250k a year from 2022, you stay mid table, he becomes a star and a contender comes in offering him 600k a year? Can you trust him to be loyal?

Purely hypothetical of course - the bookies odds are he gets to Carlton, he's not the sort of bloke you play any risks with though IMO.

a) the proof will be in the pudding. Just because a club has $900k cap space, doesn’t mean they’ll actually be prepared to spend it on a player of Martin’s quality who wants to play elsewhere. No faulting the Dees for trying to sell their club to him and draft him at a more reasonable salary though.

b) yup it’s a risk with front loading, as Carlton experienced with Bryce Gibbs. Not ideal, but at this stage, a viable option, which was my point. I do suspect it will be in play too.

I imagine Carlton and Martin’s management would be doing all they can right now to de-risk getting this done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look man....This is a spin-free zone.

Everyone knows the one pre-existing & pre-conceived MSM imperative leading into trade-week, is that Essendon is always the Big winner…...They don't win anything else, so lets allow them this one rare shimmering moment in the sun, to bathe in the magnificent glory & moral victory Dodoro has over-seen, over the rest of the competition....

Dodo is the symbolic King of Trade Week.....It's kind of like being the King of Moomba.
It’s so funny seeing people triggered by Essendon without fail. Whether we trade or don’t trade, in season or off-season, there’s always something to melt about.

It’s so funny seeing people triggered by Essendon without fail. Whether we trade or don’t trade, in season or off-season, there’s always something to melt about.

Your past 15 years of excellence is most definitely melt-worthy....Just not on the part of opposition posters, is all.

We're just having a good giggle at the MSM & the AFL propaganda spinning machine, over-compensating beyond all reasonable measure....It's piss-funny.

Nah people tend to get triggered about important things - finals' non entities winning trade week every yr ain't one of them.

Has this been posted?
Think the methodology and also looking at it longitudinally is pretty interesting.

Who are the goal kickers for St Kilda next year ?

Hawks got both targets and should get 2 picks in the top 20. Pretty sure that is a win.

Who are the goal kickers for St Kilda next year ?

Hawks got both targets and should get 2 picks in the top 20. Pretty sure that is a win.

Hawthorn was rated positively, no?
For me, the methodology and rigour are compelling enough and better than anything else I’ve seen thus far.
Evaluations taking into account soft factors can be closer to the mark, but they’re going to have subjective components, which are more liable to contain errors.
Prefer data-based approaches, but that’s just me.

Hawthorn was rated positively, no?
For me, the methodology and rigour are compelling enough and better than anything else I’ve seen thus far.
Evaluations taking into account soft factors can be closer to the mark, but they’re going to have subjective components, which are more liable to contain errors.
Prefer data-based approaches, but that’s just me.

I rate based on who came in, who went out, what the deficiencies were before, and whether they were fixed.

We plugged 2 holes - assuming Patton's knees hold up and Frost learns to dispose better.

Saints lost goal kicking power but brought in one of the best in the comp at clean inside 50 entries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back