Winners and Losers of trade week

Remove this Banner Ad

The HUN placing Essendon 4th for merely holding onto 2 blokes who don't even want to be there any more.....Just where & when is this propaganda BS spin ever going to end....and why on earth does the AFL website & Barrett appear complicit in it all?

Smacks of over-compensation in attempting to re-build the Bombers brand....Geebus they like insulting our intellects, these mocked-up clowns, acting at the behest of corporate w***ers.

The HUN placing Essendon 4th for merely holding onto 2 blokes who don't even want to be there any more.....Just where & when is this propaganda BS spin ever going to end....and why on earth does the AFL website & Barrett appear complicit in it all?

Smacks of over-compensation in attempting to re-build the Bombers brand....Geebus they like insulting our intellects, these mocked-up clowns, acting at the behest of corporate w***ers.
Out of all the possible outcomes we had in front of us at the start of the trade period, this was pretty much the best one. The only thing that might have been better is trading Daniher for Jeremy Cameron, and we all know how realistic that is.

Out of all the possible outcomes we had in front of us at the start of the trade period, this was pretty much the best one. The only thing that might have been better is trading Daniher for Jeremy Cameron, and we all know how realistic that is.

You brought in Cutler & Phillips....How on God's green earth is that a 7/10 & a 4th placing?

It's about trades, not who you kept.....Since when are the goal-posts moved in order to accommodate a rating?

Sure but the entire discussion was the Bombers are in the window now and can't lose Daniher. They finished 8th this year and were a long way from the very top teams, yet failed to improve the list much at all. I am not sure that can be much more than a pass. They made the best of a bad situation and that should be a middle of the pack type rating.

Sure but the entire discussion was the Bombers are in the window now and can't lose Daniher. They finished 8th this year and were a long way from the very top teams, yet failed to improve the list much at all. I am not sure that can be much more than a pass. They made the best of a bad situation and that should be a middle of the pack type rating.
Well what exactly counts as not much more than a pass? To be completely honest I don't even remember what rating Essendon was given in that article, was it 7.5/10? I remember Twomey wrote it and he's a Bombers man so he'll be a bit biased anyway.

Do the outs count? Do the ins count? Does their draft picks/points/whatever count? Do we look at draft value objectively (direct comparison of one team's value versus another's) or subjectively, in terms of how many points they've gained or lost compared to a standard run of picks for their finishing position? e.g. 18, 36, 54, 72, 90 for the premiers? Or compared to where they started at the start of trade period, after last year's future pick trading? Are we counting free agents or just actual trades?

If Essendon is not much more than a pass and let's call a pass 5/10, then we should have 8-9 clubs below us and 8-9 clubs above us.

So which ones are above Essendon, and which are below?

For reference:

Adelaide
In: Frampton
Out: Ellis-Yolmen, Betts, Jenkins, Greenwood, Jacobs, Keath
Draft value is 2nd overall and they have #4

Brisbane Lions
In: Ellis-Yolmen, Birchall, C.Ah Chee
Out: Cutler, Taylor
Draft value is 7th and they have #16

Carlton
In: Betts, Pittonet
Out: Phillips
Draft value is 12th and they have #9

Collingwood
In: Cameron
Out: Aish
Draft value is 16th, first pick is #35

Essendon:
In: A.Phillips, Cutler (McQuillan and McBride are Irish signings so we won't count them)
Out: nil
Draft value is 14th, first pick is #31

Fremantle
In: Acres, Aish
Out: Langdon, Hill
Draft value is 3rd and they have #7 and #10

Geelong
In: Steven, Jenkins
Out: Z.Smith, Kelly
Draft value is 6th and they have #14 and #17

Gold Coast
In: Ellis, Greenwood, Z.Smith (Towey is an Irish signing so we won't count him)
Out: Ah Chee
Draft value is 1st and they have #1 #2 and #15

Greater Western Sydney
In: Jacobs
Out: Tomlinson, Patton, Bonar
Draft value is 10th and they have #6

Hawthorn
In: Frost, Patton
Out: Birchall, Pittonet
Draft value is 9th and they have #11

Melbourne
In: Tomlinson, Langdon
Out: Frost
Draft value is 4th and they hold #3 and #8

North Melbourne
In: Bonar
Draft value is 13th and their first pick is #26

Port Adelaide
In: nil
Out: Frampton, Ryder, Howard
Draft value is 8th and they have #12 and #18

Richmond
Out: Ellis, Butler
Draft value is 11th and they have #19

St Kilda
In: Ryder, Howard, B.Hill, Jones, Butler
Out: Steven, Acres, Bruce
Draft value is 18th, first pick is #51

Sydney
In: Taylor
Out: Cameron, Jones
Draft value is 5th and they have #5

West Coast
In: Kelly
Draft hand is 17th, first pick is #46

Western Bulldogs
In: Bruce, Keath
Draft value is 15th, first pick is #35

Carlton wow if I was a blues fan I would be dirty on sos how can you get better if you don't get a trade done

He did get a trade done. Three, in fact.

Papley was seemingly largely out of control, and whilst we didn't get a deal done for Martin, it looks as though he may join us anyway.

We're largely pretty pleased with what Silvagni has done, albeit we're disappointed to not have Papley on the list for 2020.

Well what exactly counts as not much more than a pass? To be completely honest I don't even remember what rating Essendon was given in that article, was it 7.5/10? I remember Twomey wrote it and he's a Bombers man so he'll be a bit biased anyway.

Do the outs count? Do the ins count? Does their draft picks/points/whatever count? Do we look at draft value objectively (direct comparison of one team's value versus another's) or subjectively, in terms of how many points they've gained or lost compared to a standard run of picks for their finishing position? e.g. 18, 36, 54, 72, 90 for the premiers? Or compared to where they started at the start of trade period, after last year's future pick trading? Are we counting free agents or just actual trades?

If Essendon is not much more than a pass and let's call a pass 5/10, then we should have 8-9 clubs below us and 8-9 clubs above us.

So which ones are above Essendon, and which are below?

For reference:

Adelaide
In: Frampton
Out: Ellis-Yolmen, Betts, Jenkins, Greenwood, Jacobs, Keath
Draft value is 2nd overall and they have #4

Brisbane Lions
In: Ellis-Yolmen, Birchall, C.Ah Chee
Out: Cutler, Taylor
Draft value is 7th and they have #16

Carlton
In: Betts, Pittonet
Out: Phillips
Draft value is 12th and they have #9

Collingwood
In: Cameron
Out: Aish
Draft value is 16th, first pick is #35

Essendon:
In: A.Phillips, Cutler (McQuillan and McBride are Irish signings so we won't count them)
Draft value is 14th, first pick is #31

Fremantle
In: Acres, Aish
Out: Langdon, Hill
Draft value is 3rd and they have #7 and #10

Geelong
In: Steven, Jenkins
Out: Z.Smith, Kelly
Draft value is 6th and they have #14 and #17

Gold Coast
In: Ellis, Greenwood, Z.Smith (Towey is an Irish signing so we won't count him)
Out: Ah Chee
Draft value is 1st and they have #1 #2 and #15

Greater Western Sydney
In: Jacobs
Out: Tomlinson, Patton, Bonar
Draft value is 10th and they have #6

Hawthorn
In: Frost, Patton
Out: Birchall, Pittonet
Draft value is 9th and they have #11

Melbourne
In: Tomlinson, Langdon
Out: Frost
Draft value is 4th and they hold #3 and #8

North Melbourne
In: Bonar
Draft value is 13th and their first pick is #26

Port Adelaide
Out: Frampton, Ryder, Howard
Draft value is 8th and they have #12 and #18

Richmond
Out: Ellis, Butler
Draft value is 11th and they have #19

St Kilda
In: Ryder, Howard, B.Hill, Jones, Butler
Out: Steven, Acres, Bruce
Draft value is 18th, first pick is #51

Sydney
In: Taylor
Out: Cameron, Jones
Draft value is 5th and they have #5

West Coast
In: Kelly
Draft hand is 17th, first pick is #46

Western Bulldogs
In: Bruce, Keath
Draft value is 15th, first pick is #35
The total sum of what a team does in a trade period would be considered, if Essendon re-signed out of contract players you could call that a win but just holding them to a contract is nothing more than the bare minimum.

Looking at what the Bombers did they brought in 2 role players in a year they are supposed to be contending. The failed to improve the list in any meaningful way and i am just not sure how that can be deemed a massive success.

I am not having a dig at what the Bombers did i just think it's being massively overrated by some in the media.

Down at the level where you are moaning about trade week rankings. Why do you honestly give a duck?

The sun will rise tomorrow champ, have a glass of plonk and watch some peaky blinders. It'll be ok

The total sum of what a team does in a trade period would be considered, if Essendon re-signed out of contract players you could call that a win but just holding them to a contract is nothing more than the bare minimum.

Looking at what the Bombers did they brought in 2 role players in a year they are supposed to be contending. The failed to improve the list in any meaningful way and i am just not sure how that can be deemed a massive success.

I am not having a dig at what the Bombers did i just think it's being massively overrated by some in the media.
I think the only re-signing during trade period was Ben King at the Gold Coast, unless something was done quietly.

So we are also judging teams by what they didn't do?

Not convinced by Saints being 'big' winners. Got unders for Bruce. Paid slight overs for Hill. Did a good deal with Port. Pick 30ish for Z Jones is about even. See how it all comes together for them next season, I do realise with King coming back from injury that Bruce was not really needed but they still got unders.
I like what Lethlean said after it was all finished, that we didn't mind if we've didn't "win" every trade, as long as we got all of our trades done (and in the end we did 7 different trades).

I guess it's the philosophy that you don't have to win every battle, as long as you win the war.

Something else that made it a "win" was that we started the trade period with just picks 6 and 59+ in this year's draft (plus next year's picks), and managed to get all 5 of our trade targets, without having to trade our 2020 first rounder.

You probably wouldn't have bet on that happening at the start of trade period. To have 5 trade targets and only one pick of value in this year's draft and yet manage to get all 5 without touching next year's first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon one of the biggest losers imo.

Middle of the road club with plenty of players near 30 years old and their first pick is in the 30s.

Not accepting either 5+9 or 9+future first for a bloke who’s hardly seen the park in 2 years is baffling.
5 + 9 was never offered.

9 (which Sydney actually don't have) + future first in weak and highly compromised drafts is worth nothing for a middle of the road side. If we're not going to get top-end midfielders like Green, Anderson and Rowell, then we may as well keep our best player.

We'll keep a known talent in Daniher thanks.

How are Essendon a winner? A net result of Cutler and Phillips makes them winners? They haven’t addressed their biggest need with an inside mid.

Keeping Daniher doesn’t make them winners. Winning would have been getting overs for him. If the goal was just to keep him all along, why even enter into negotiations?
And if Daniher left for 9 + a future first, then we'd be missing a KPF and a ready made inside mid (because all the top mids will be gone + academy/FS). Now we're just missing an inside mid, which I hope we address in the draft through seasoned state players.

You're not answering the main question.
There is no question for me to answer...lol
Some clown denied you downgraded from pick 8 to 26.
Why his brain was in denial, God only knows.
The rest is not important because that denial comment was what I was educating him about. Fundamentally his base thinking is wrong from there.
If he does not get it, his loss.

The question you should ask is, why did your fellow North fan try to deny facts ?
Is he just not bright?

And if Daniher left for 9 + a future first, then we'd be missing a KPF and a ready made inside mid (because all the top mids will be gone + academy/FS). Now we're just missing an inside mid, which I hope we address in the draft through seasoned state players.

Essendon supporters claiming that 'all they're missing is an inside mid' from a premiership equation.....Let me give you the drum....You blokes are miles away from it.

And treading water & holding your own in trade week doesn't equal a win, a 7/10 ranking nor a 4th place in the overall scheme of things.

It's bad enough the HUN has lost a tonne of respect, having Slobbo as it's head football journo...But s**t like that just makes it a complete laughing-stock entirely.

A modicum of balance & objectivity wouldn't go astray every now & then....Instead of being the number 1 promotional tool & propaganda arm for Tulla.:$

Last edited:
I'm not.
Go read what the North supporter tried to pretend did not happen and you will understand why I have tried to educate him about the first part cannot be pretended it has not happened. He is in complete denial you thrown away pick 8 to downgrade all the way to 28... Hello,,, he said it did not happen....lol...

Why North would throw away pick 8 when they need to use it or upgrade to an earlier pick is just totally against what their list needs this draft. Should never have downgraded to pick 26. Just crazy in my eyes. You need more young talent of elite type to learn to play with guys like Symkin, LDU, Thomas to build an elite core group. I'm sure you get that. To not try to invest heavily in this draft with that, is weird strategy.
If we rated players 8-26 evenly then why not strengthen our hand next year? This years draft isn’t rated as highly as last years. It’s maybe why you traded your 1st round pick this year.

Essendon supporters claiming that 'all they're missing is an inside mid' from a premiership equation.....Let me give you the drum....You blokes are miles away from it.

And treading water & holding your own in trade week doesn't equal a win, a 7/10 ranking nor a 4th place in the overall scheme of things.

It's bad enough the HUN has lost a tonne of respect, having Slobbo as it's head football journo...But s**t like that just makes it a complete laughing-stock entirely.

A modicum of balance & objectivity wouldn't go astray every now & then....Instead of being the number 1 promotional tool & propaganda arm for Tulla.:$
I didn’t say we’re close to a premiership. Stop melting.

You brought in Cutler & Phillips....How on God's green earth is that a 7/10 & a 4th placing?

It's about trades, not who you kept.....Since when are the goal-posts moved in order to accommodate a rating?

It is an article written by Essendon supporter.

We retained the guys we wanted to and we brought in some depth in positions we needed depth in.

I give us 6/10

How do you determine winners/losers anyway, so many variables:
1. Base it on is your playing list better or worse after trade period?
2. Are your draft picks better or worse are trade period?
3. Did you get good deals for the trades you did?

Apparently not getting players you were interested in or keeping players who wanted to leave is the biggest factor......

I only care about Carlton:
1. Our list isn't any worse - not better but not worse
2. We kept our first rnd draft pick and all of 2020 picks
3. The trades we did were fine and didn't get ripped off
4. We didn't get papley but was a bit of a long shot and didnt get Martin (but if all plays out as expected, we should get him for free - no trade)

We weren't big player in the trade period, is it a 3/10, 5/10, 7/10 or 10/10 - who knows and who really gives a s**t......hahahaha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back