Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Saints sold the farm for a good average player. Lost a key forward, and gave away their best midfielder for nothing. Personally, i feel they had a horrible trade period.

Geelong are the big winners for me. Steven and Jenkins for nothing, and a range of great picks to reload in the draft.

Blues and Bombers big losers. Blues especially. Two players nominated them and they couldn't land either! Eddie Betts might be sentimental, but he's cooked. To offer him 2 years is crazy..
Hill a "good average player". Right-o.

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I rate based on who came in, who went out, what the deficiencies were before, and whether they were fixed.

We plugged 2 holes - assuming Patton's knees hold up and Frost learns to dispose better.

Saints lost goal kicking power but brought in one of the best in the comp at clean inside 50 entries.

Yeah theres 2 guys called Josh Battle and Max King. You may not have heard of them but by May 2020 you will know them well. ;)

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
My summary of trade week.

West Coast: Give us Kelly
Geelong: Ok, but give is all your sh*t
West Coast: OK.
(they hug)

Staints: Give is Hill
Freo: OK, give is Pick 6
Saints: <trades pick 6> huh?

Sydney: Give is Daniher
Bombers: OK, but give is all your sh*t.
Sydney: OK
Bombers: and Heeney..
Sydney:.. but...
Bombers: No deal - we win.
<runs out of the room>
SOS:

Saints: here is 6 and a second round and acres. More than fair we just want to do the right thing and get going.

Freo: no hes contracted we want to be unreasonable w***ers. give us 2 firsts, AND a third. for one 26yo thats never been AA.

Saints: .... ok morons ... hey GWS hold up ...

------
Next week

Freo: Ohhh man you gave 6 away!? we were only half joking ... ahhh ahhh damn aaahjh awww hey hey saints please come back!! ok ok how about 10 and a first??

Saints: No. 10 and second

Freo: No are you kidding we paid 23 we are unreasonablenw***ers remember!?!

----
Freo ok ok how about acres too

Saints amongst themselves: "lol these idiots WANT acres now ... huh acres the guy we originally tried to get rid of but is contracted for $500k?? ... yeah bro ... hahaha ok ok great, well lets act all like we now care and get em to pay his contract and we'll get a third for it. ... no way we couldnt get a third for him surely .... yeah bro watch this .... HEY FREO

Freo: yes?

Saints: alright we are feeling nice. We want to be good and give fair (**inside laughter) value.
how about 10, second & acres for hill and third??

Freo: mmmmm not sure i mean yes thats fair but we are going to look like idiots not taking 6/second&Acres, arent we??

Saints: Yes you are but hey ... alright we will throw in 2 fourth rounds. That will make it seem fair and that you somehow won ok??? AND lets not forget you get Acres!! hes 193cm gun winger!! (**inside laughter)

Freo: Wow 10, Second rnd in a s**t draft, a s**t player and 2 s**t worthless picks for a gun? ok sounds good, deal.

Saints: Cool. (massive inside laughing)

Freo: Oh saints btw can we make sure never to tell the media about what you first offered?

Saints: Well it was reported as fact in heraldsun on the day so ...

Freo: yeah but nah weve been discrediting that from the start and people starting to believe it was false, cause well no one would believe any club would be that stupid. So, If you could just stay silent please?? PLEASE?

Saints: ******* hell ok relax freo. you egotistical morons.

Freo: thanks guys. and again thanks for acres

Saints no worries ;) (**inside hysterics)

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Trade Week:

Eagles: Give us Kelly.
Cats: OK - give us all your sh*t
Eagles: OK
(they hug it out)

Swans: Give us Daniher
Bombers: OK - give is all your sh*t
Swans: OK
Bombers: and a good player.
Swans: But you said...
Bombers: Shut up. No deal. We win.
Blues: Give us Papley
Swans: Sorry mate. Dodoro just left.
Blues: OK
Swans: (aside) I honestly didn't think that would work

Saints: Give us Hill
Freo: OK, give Pick 6
Saints: <trades pick 6> sorry, did you say something?
Freo: (sighs) fine... just give us all your sh*t.

Tigers: (doing Ivan Drago impression): You will lose.

Magpies: When's trade week?
Freo: It was last week. Don't you remember? You gave us Aish.
Magpies: Oh. Who did we get?
Freo: Darcy Cameron.
Magpies: ffs. I told you to wake me!

Kangas: Give us Boner
GWS: Who?
Kangas: Aiden Boner.
GWS: Sure, um. Give us... tell you what - you decide.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Saints: here is 6 and a second round and acres. More than fair we just want to do the right thing and get going.

Freo: no hes contracted we want to be unreasonable w***ers. give us 2 firsts, AND a third. for one 26yo thats never been AA.

Saints: .... ok morons ... hey GWS hold up ...

------
Next week

Freo: Ohhh man you gave 6 away!? we were only half joking ... ahhh ahhh damn aaahjh awww hey hey saints please come back!! ok ok how about 10 and a first??

Saints: No. 10 and second

Freo: No are you kidding we paid 23 we are unreasonablenw***ers remember!?!

----
Freo ok ok how about acres too

Saints amongst themselves: "lol these idiots WANT acres now ... huh acres the guy we originally tried to get rid of but is contracted for $500k?? ... yeah bro ... hahaha ok ok great, well lets act all like we now care and get em to pay his contract and we'll get a third for it. ... no way we couldnt get a third for him surely .... yeah bro watch this .... HEY FREO

Freo: yes?

Saints: alright we are feeling nice. We want to be good and give fair (**inside laughter) value.
how about 10, second & acres for hill and third??

Freo: mmmmm not sure i mean yes thats fair but we are going to look like idiots not taking 6/second&Acres, arent we??

Saints: Yes you are but hey ... alright we will throw in 2 fourth rounds. That will make it seem fair and that you somehow won ok??? AND lets not forget you get Acres!! hes 193cm gun winger!! (**inside laughter)

Freo: Wow 10, Second rnd in a s**t draft, a s**t player and 2 s**t worthless picks for a gun? ok sounds good, deal.

Saints: Cool. (massive inside laughing)

Freo: Oh saints btw can we make sure never to tell the media about what you first offered?

Saints: Well it was reported as fact in heraldsun on the day so ...

Freo: yeah but nah weve been discrediting that from the start and people starting to believe it was false, cause well no one would believe any club would be that stupid. So, If you could just stay silent please?? PLEASE?

Saints: ******* hell ok relax freo. you egotistical morons.

Freo: thanks guys. and again thanks for acres

Saints no worries ;) (**inside hysterics)
Sorry dude, wasn't mean to trigger. I've edited.

TMembrey, JBattle, Max King, JGresham, Lonie, Kent, MParker, DButler, BLong, JBillings and Ryder/Marshal (rucking/forward)

2019 totals
Membrey - 44 goals
Josh Battle - 3 goals. Largely played defence
Max King - kicked 11 goals in five VFL games. No AFL games
Jade Gresham - 15 goals
Jack Lonie - 13 goals (in 13 games)
Dean Kent - 12 goals (in 13 games)
Matthew Parker - 16 goals
Dan Butler - 5 goals (in 7 games)
Ben Long - 14 goals
Jack Billings - 13 goals
Paddy Ryder - 15 goals
Rowan Marshall - 8 goals.

You are correct, they may all kick goals in 2020. But on form nowhere near enough for St Kilda to be a threat.

lock Membrey into your Facebook page team of the week every round though.

I rate based on who came in, who went out, what the deficiencies were before, and whether they were fixed.

We plugged 2 holes - assuming Patton's knees hold up and Frost learns to dispose better.

Saints lost goal kicking power but brought in one of the best in the comp at clean inside 50 entries.

Think we’re talking at cross-purposes.
The review seems positive in Hawthorn as I read it, is your argument that it’s not positive enough? Or too generous to the Saints?
There’s clear upside potential in the blokes you got, the price was right, there’s some risk in both, but overall positive.
St Kilda would argue that they’ve got Membrey, Battle, think Ryder might allow Marshall to spend a bit more time forward, McCartin probably a long shot, but fingers crossed - and Marshall has genuine forward craft. Their small forward stocks are good imo.
Bruce is good and is a loss, but don’t think the loss should be placed at 100% of his output. Reckon Saints did ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Think we’re talking at cross-purposes.
The review seems positive in Hawthorn as I read it, is your argument that it’s not positive enough? Or too generous to the Saints?
There’s clear upside potential in the blokes you got, the price was right, there’s some risk in both, but overall positive.
St Kilda would argue that they’ve got Membrey, Battle, think Ryder might allow Marshall to spend a bit more time forward, McCartin probably a long shot, but fingers crossed - and Marshall has genuine forward craft. Their small forward stocks are good imo.
Bruce is good and is a loss, but don’t think the loss should be placed at 100% of his output. Reckon Saints did ok.

Oh I think the Saints recruited very well. Hill is a brilliant player. Its whether the outs hurt. Time will tell who kicks the goals.

Hawks did very well too, with Pittonet being the big out.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Saints did excellent to turn there hand into howard, Hill, Ryder, Jones and Butler. Stevens was a non event last year, Acres is streaky and they might feel the pinch of loosing Bruce. My fear is they have treadmilled themselves like bombers don’t personally believe they have the quality to push into the upper tier

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Oh I think the Saints recruited very well. Hill is a brilliant player. Its whether the outs hurt. Time will tell who kicks the goals.
From our team this year, Bruce is the only "out" of significance, given that Steven only played two games that were anywhere near his best and was a genuine "liability" in one, if not two others.

I'm a big fan of Acres, but he had a very underwhelming year (almost certainly would have been dropped at one stage or another, had we not had so many injuries) and was largely played out of position, as the 3rd tall marking target up forward.

Yet despite spending so much of his time playing forward, he kicked just 6 goals, from his 19 games (and took just 9 marks inside 50), so effectively it's looking like being Bruce and Acres out of our forward line, and a combination of King/Battle and Ryder/Marshall in.

Now Bruce had a very good 2nd half of the year, but the fact still remains that he kicked just 36 goals, from 22 games, so between them, he and Acres kicked 42 goals, from 41 games.

Is 42 goals from 41 games going to be an insurmountable target for a combination of say King/Battle and Ryder/Marshall?

I wouldn't have thought so. Especially since Ryder went close to kicking a goal a game on his own this year, despite still spending plenty of time in the ruck.

He and/or Marshall and/or Battle will almost certainly be much more of a goalkicking threat than Acres was, so that will most likely cancel out much of the difference between the 36 goals we got from Bruce this year, and whatever we get from say the King/Battle combination.

Having the extra genuine key position height guy in there instead of Acres will also mean that Membrey will most likely now be manned up by the other teams 3rd tall defender, who he's likely to have a much easier time against than the first or at worst 2nd "genuine key defenders" he would have copped every week this year. Very important for someone just 188cm tall.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Saints did excellent to turn there hand into howard, Hill, Ryder, Jones and Butler. Stevens was a non event last year, Acres is streaky and they might feel the pinch of loosing Bruce. My fear is they have treadmilled themselves like bombers don’t personally believe they have the quality to push into the upper tier
One thing that the moves we made does that might not have been mentioned much, is that moving on Steven, Bruce and Acres probably removed over $1.5mil from our 2020 salary cap, so when you combine that with the likelihood that McCartin's contract will not be extended beyond 2020, we've possibly given ourselves a good chance at having a big crack at some hopefully bigger fish at the end of next year.

Which is a big part of the reason it was important we retained our 2020 first rounder.

OhioCatsfan

Host - ayankonthefooty.com
Sep 18, 2019
Sandusky Ohio
AFL Club
Geelong
Of course but they got those players for cheap. Essentuly swapped Zac Smith for Stevens. Any club would do that. And still have a ton of picks before 35.

As a Geelong supporter I am happy. Could have been a lot worst.
I agree with your point. I think the Cats were big winners, but also losers. They lost an absolute gun in Kelly, but maximized their return for him. He is certainly going to be missed.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure why the Saints trade week was so brilliant. Can't see the Saints climbing out of mid table mediocrity with no draft picks. Not excited with their list build at all.
Same problem as Essendon in 17/18, they've added all the icing but have the worst non-Gold Coast midfield in the league. Putting a lot of pressure on Max King early with the Bruce trade too but he'll probably rise to the occasion.

Hind another. Averaged a goal a game once he came into the team.

I know you’ll brush this off as just a troll, but every team can list names of players who can kick goals.

that list, even adding Hind, is incredibly unreliable in terms of goal scoring - which is going to be St Kilda’s issue.

edit: I’m pretty sure ARR has me and anyone who dares not talk up the Saints on ignore

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Callum Twomey thinks Essendon were third best in the Trade Period. Third best. Out of 18.

This is why these moron footy journos cant be taken seriously.

Twomey looks like a nerd and acts like a nerd - so people assume he is smart like a nerd.

In reality he looks like a nerd, acts like a nerd, but is as thick as a box of hammers and small minded and parochial to boot.

In 2019, the Bombers didn't recruit any good players and don't have a single draft pick in the top 30.

HTF is a good result? Just embarrassing.

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Out: Bruce, Acres, Newnes
In: Ryder/Howard/MKing, Hill,
ZJones

Out: Richo, No name Assistants
In: Ratten, Rath, Roughead, Hamil

If you think we wont be better with not only a faster, more skilled team but also with proper coaches and leaders back in Geary, Carlisle, Webster, Roberton. We didnt have a backline last year ffs.

As I say ROSS, STEELE, DUNSTAN aint pretty and agree aint eite skilled YET cleaeance wise, toughness wise and consistent wise are great insiders/taggers. Need H.Clark Gresham and Sinclair to step up with outside chance of J.Bytel, Coffield to be mid class. We now have the speed in hind, hill and jones.
Can use billings to deliver inside 50. And can use Battle where he is best - FORWARD.

We are missing class in the guts... but 1. can the coaches coach so it doesnt matter as much. get the ball out to class bill/billings/jones/hind and we will dominate.
2. can H.Clark, Gresham, Sinclair & Marshal be that class?

Questions yes but much to be positive about. First time in years. In my opinion staples of Newnes/Acres leaving is a great thing.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
If you think we wont be better with not only a faster, more skilled team but also with proper coaches and leaders back in Geary, Carlisle, Webster, Roberton. We didnt have a backline last year ffs.
What's the update on Roberton? Hope the guy's OK. Seems like a genuinely likeable bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back