Winners and Losers of trade week

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
You get 2 chances to improve your list each year (trade period and draft).
There's a third chance with the midseason draft, but let's just call it 2 chances.

This is why it disappoints me when clubs don't have a good crack at it. Only two A grade players (Kelly and Hill) changed teams. Compare that to the year before (Lynch, Shiel, Wingard, May, Hogan, etc). Very quiet offseason.

Teams that didn't improve their list (or only did so very slightly)
Collingwood - really missed a trick to free up cap space.
Carlton - couple of bit players.
Essendon - couple of bit players
Richmond - didn't turn up.
North (I don't think Bonar will match the hype)
Sydney - out Jones in Taylor. That's break even.
Port

Teams that did improve their list:
Brisbane - some astute pick ups.
Bulldogs - picked up two key position players for not very much. Noice.
Hawthorn - not huge pick ups, but two key position guys who will play most weeks for a low low price.

Teams whose list got worse:
Adelaide - * me - how do you lose that many players in an offseason? That was remarkable. I know most are bit-players, but geezus, that's all the depth gone. And they don't bat too deep at the best of times. Betts, Keath, Jacobs, Jenkins, CEY and the guy that went to GC.

Teams where it's hard to tell:
Geelong - Jenkins will be great for them. They'll play him well. Stevens is a question mark. They got a lot for Kelly, but he's a big loss.
Saints - lots in, lots out. Losing Bruce and Steven isn't good. Hill in is great.
Freo - lots in, lots out. List is worse off in the immediate but a truckload of picks that they 'might' be able to do something with.
West Coast - big outlay for Kelly. Hope it's worth it!

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Saints sold the farm for a good average player. Lost a key forward, and gave away their best midfielder for nothing. Personally, i feel they had a horrible trade period.

Geelong are the big winners for me. Steven and Jenkins for nothing, and a range of great picks to reload in the draft.

Blues and Bombers big losers. Blues especially. Two players nominated them and they couldn't land either! Eddie Betts might be sentimental, but he's cooked. To offer him 2 years is crazy..
Geelong the big winners...

Are we missing the fact that they lost one of the best midfielders in the comp?

They probably made the best of a bad situation, but they've lost a gun player in his prime whilst they are in their premiership window.

I think people get too caught up with how many first round picks change hands and forget to look at the numbers.

Fair chance those picks end up being 14 and 19.

I think any Cats fan would have preferred to keep Kelly.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It depends on personal bias.

Everybody just puts a spin on it depending on who they support, lets be honest.

How can robbo, for example, put Geelong and Essendon both in his top 3? One club is lauded for getting a bunch of picks while losing a genuine superstar, the other is lauded for doing the opposite, turning down two top 10 picks and keeping the superstar. Which is it?! They are polar opposites!

Sure, more fool me for using robbo as my example but reading this thread, he's not alone in giving an extremely lazy analysis.

Every club makes the best of their situation, good or bad, yet only some seem to get credit for doing it. I think everyone filled a need and depending on their priorities, those needs varied a lot. Adelaide are probably the only real losers because of the exodus.

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
had no room for Bruce, literally he wouldve played vfl as ryder/king/marshal/battle are all better/variable options.

Steven wanted to go home and possibly is cooked anyway. Getting him home makes us look great in PR especially for players wanting to come here.
We now have elite facilities in bayside melbourne. We have shown we are good to pur players. As a player would you rather essendon and dodoro holding you to ransoms out by the airport?

In return we got Butler and ZJones. 23/24 years olds speed/pressure we NEED.

what saints did best was get EXACTLY what we needed.
Key back/ruck allows battle forward, allows bruce trade

got speed and pressure we lacked.

got elite talent in Hill We lacked.
tick tick tick.

They probably made the best of a bad situation, but they've lost a gun player in his prime whilst they are in their premiership window.

I think people get too caught up with how many first round picks change hands and forget to look at the numbers.

We don’t have windows. It’s a principle that the powers that be at the club don’t believe in.

TheBigD

Draftee
Sep 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Exactly agree with you. Eagles fan here and not being bias but anyone would be more than happy to take Tim Kelly in arguably not even his prime. Draft picks are no guarantees, but Tim Kelly in his mid 20s, playing the football he has been playing at Geelong was a no brainer. Jenkins and Steven very handy additions though, will be interesting to see how they do go this coming season.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
had no room for Bruce, literally he wouldve played vfl as ryder/king/marshal/battle are all better/variable options.
The basically cooked Ryder who showed next to nothing up forward last year.
The inexperienced Battle who has showed more as a key defender than a key forward.
The literal 0-games King who is coming off an ACL injury and not played a single game yet.
The ruckman Marshall who has shown all his talent is in the ruck, not up forward.

Yes, I'm sure Bruce literally would've played VFL to allow these 4 lesser options to take his spot

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bruce would have played every game in 2020 if fit

No he wouldve played vfl.

Thats not a knock on him. Hes an awesome key forward. But for the 1000th time we have Membrey, King, Battle and WE WANT 2 RUCKS FFS Ryder/Marshal who will ruck and play forward!!!!

Theres this thing called team balance .
Bruce would be playing VFL. HE CANNOT RUCK OR DEFEND. he is a pure forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
The basically cooked Ryder who showed next to nothing up forward last year.
The inexperienced Battle who has showed more as a key defender than a key forward.
The literal 0-games King who is coming off an ACL injury and not played a single game yet.
The ruckman Marshall who has shown all his talent is in the ruck, not up forward.

Yes, I'm sure Bruce literally would've played VFL to allow these 4 lesser options to take his spot

wtf? battle showed more as a back??
he was 18. Ffs

Marshal HAS shown forward talent

Ryder has been a great forward. ha come on. If fit hes a gun. you know it

Membrey is better than most.

and MKING?? the next 205cm carey?
yeah he will go past him this year. THIS YEAR. ffs you keep talking about 2019 im discussing 2020.

Okay, call it what you will but it's no secret Geelongs best players are closer to the end than the start.
and? They retire and there's 1m-1.5m to splash on free agents to replace them.
No biggie. The show rolls on.

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
and? They retire and there's 1m-1.5m to splash on free agents to replace them.
No biggie. The show rolls on.

Yeah Geelong have done this well.
Very lucky with father sons and danger a local. Now steven a local may help if not cooked.

Will this roll on? time will tell. Have Built a winning culture, albeit via drugs and corruption, so get players they want. Cats used future picks and cap well.

No he wouldve played vfl.

Thats not a knock on him. Hes an awesome key forward. But for the 1000th time we have Membrey, King, Battle and WE WANT 2 RUCKS FFS Ryder/Marshal who will ruck and play forward!!!!

Theres this thing called team balance .
Bruce would be playing VFL. HE CANNOT RUCK OR DEFEND. he is a pure forward.

Bruce plays every AFL game for St Kilda in 2020 if fit

Last edited by a moderator:

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong

I actually agree.

This draft will help us rebuild but I think short term, at best, we went slightly backwards. For a team that won the minor Premiership I don’t see how we are considered a big winners.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
i dont know about winners but St Kilda set its sights on 5 targets and got all 5 in the door ... yes it cost heaps but draft picks are only good if the players you want are going to be there .. i dont think this was the case for the saints so they were content to "burn" a draft to get what they wanted ..

The dogs make out like bandits ... two Key position players and keeping their first is a fantastic effort if fit can see them doing damage in 2020

The WCE had one target and they got it .. again like the saints it cost heaps but in the end its only draft picks and WCE would be confident Kelly for the remainder of his playing days will deliver them more than those picks in this years draft would ...

Geelong i guess you say they won they lost a very important player but really they had 12 months to get their head round that fact they picked up more experiance that they really dont need but also have a bounty of draft pick to play with as well ... lets see what they do with them

Freo there is no sugar coating it they got very good returns for their 3rd best player but again thats them losing their third best player one year after losing their second best player ... they have heaps of picks but much like a Mule with a spinning wheel no one is sure how they got it but we sure as hell know they dont know how to use it ... they save face by getting good picks but it doent hide the fact good players dont want to be or go near Freo

Gold Coast got some good experiance and most importantly stemmed the bleeding of the mass exodus out of the place ...

Port i think the fans reactions say it all

Blues - had big targets and fell short on all but the one they prob didnt really need anyway .. gold star to SOS for not bringing in a GWS player

Crows ... there is shitting the bed and then there is the Crows gand final flop hangover shitting the bed ..... wowsers what a fall from grace good thing for them Port are looking like tearing themselves apart otherwise there is a strong chance of them losing the mantle as the number 1 SA team

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
In your opinion of course

Anyone who knows football really.

Without Max King Membrey/Battle/Marshal is well enough

With Max King
Membrey/Battle would need to push up

So I ask WHERE DOES BRUCE FIT IN? given he does not ruck? or defend.

Anyone who knows football really.

Without Max King Membrey/Battle/Marshal is well enough

With Max King
Membrey/Battle would need to push up

So I ask WHERE DOES BRUCE FIT IN? given he does not ruck? or defend.

Max King has played 5 VFL games, no games at AFL level.

Membrey is an above average forward but hardly one to build a forward line around for now.

Battle is a promising kid who played good football in defence this year.

Bruce would still be best 22 at St Kilda if you took an objective view

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda

Membrey is an above average forward but hardly one to build a forward line around for now.

You know, you could just sayvthanks for Bruce he'll help us get a flag but oh no ...

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda

Battle will turn 21.
What about Carlsisle?

With Howard, Austin and Clavarino whos to say we cant use Carlisle forward too??

Again its about team balance. We felt ZJones and DButler over Bruce is great for the saints. And I agree .

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
You get 2 chances to improve your list each year (trade period and draft).
There's a third chance with the midseason draft, but let's just call it 2 chances.

This is why it disappoints me when clubs don't have a good crack at it. Only two A grade players (Kelly and Hill) changed teams. Compare that to the year before (Lynch, Shiel, Wingard, May, Hogan, etc). Very quiet offseason.

Teams that didn't improve their list (or only did so very slightly)
Collingwood - really missed a trick to free up cap space.
Carlton - couple of bit players.
Essendon - couple of bit players
Richmond - didn't turn up.
North (I don't think Bonar will match the hype)
Sydney - out Jones in Taylor. That's break even.
Port

Teams that did improve their list:
Brisbane - some astute pick ups.
Bulldogs - picked up two key position players for not very much. Noice.
Hawthorn - not huge pick ups, but two key position guys who will play most weeks for a low low price.

Teams whose list got worse:
Adelaide - fu** me - how do you lose that many players in an offseason? That was remarkable. I know most are bit-players, but geezus, that's all the depth gone. And they don't bat too deep at the best of times. Betts, Keath, Jacobs, Jenkins, CEY and the guy that went to GC.

Teams where it's hard to tell:
Geelong - Jenkins will be great for them. They'll play him well. Stevens is a question mark. They got a lot for Kelly, but he's a big loss.
Saints - lots in, lots out. Losing Bruce and Steven isn't good. Hill in is great.
Freo - lots in, lots out. List is worse off in the immediate but a truckload of picks that they 'might' be able to do something with.
West Coast - big outlay for Kelly. Hope it's worth it!

Well its pretty clear WC did improve their list. It's hard to argue how those 4 draft picks will come close to Kelly's worth in the next 2 years at least. After that time will tell.

Back