Winners and Losers of trade week

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Bombers were huge losers.....Kept An injury-prone forward who no longer wants to be there & could have had 2 gun kids with the 2 picks on offer for him.....Absolute school-boy Howler.

Will be ruing this decision for the next decade.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Bombers were huge losers.....Kept An injury-prone forward who no longer wants to be there & could have had 2 gun kids with the 2 picks on offer for him.....Absolute school-boy Howler.

Will be ruing this decision for the next decade.

Wait, is that a Hawks fan hanging crap on us for our injury prone key forward? In the same trade period where they pick up Patton - a bloke who leads the leagues in torn ACL's (disclaimer: I forget if that Sydney bloke is still going around so maybe he's #2). Funnily enough we are all hearing about what a big win that is.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wait, is that a Hawks fan hanging crap on us for our injury prone key forward? In the same trade period where they pick up Patton - a bloke who leads the leagues in torn ACL's (disclaimer: I forget if that Sydney bloke is still going around so maybe he's #2). Funnily enough we are all hearing about what a big win that is.

We all know the precedent for players who want to leave a club, but are then held against their will regardless.

Kelly remains as the only outlier who actually improved his output the year after, but still left the following year nonetheless.

Apparently Joe has been struggling with his motivation to play anyway, with club figures coming out & blaming him for his lack of discipline & effort over his re-hab....Good luck healing that rift & getting this boy interested to play good football again at that club.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
We all know the precedent for players who want to leave a club, but are then held against their will regardless.

Kelly remains as the only outlier who actually improved his output the year after, but still left the following year nonetheless.

Apparently Joe has been struggling with his motivation to play anyway, with club figures coming out & blaming him for his lack of discipline & effort over his re-hab....Good luck healing that rift & getting this boy interested to play good football again at that club.

Complete nonsense. Hell I don't even need to go outside of Essendon to find a recent example of a player that wanted to leave, requested a trade - didn't get traded. Then changed his mind and happily extended his contract at Essendon. Francis went through that experience at Essendon over the last 2 years and he played more games this season than in his 3 years previous (around 18 I believe).

Ryan O'Keefe is another one that comes to mind. Bryce Gibbs played a good final year after being denied his trade to Adelaide the first time around. Players can be professionals about these things.

Still laughing about the "only outlier comment" - geez you don't mind being wrong do you?

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Complete nonsense. Hell I don't even need to go outside of Essendon to find a recent example of a player that wanted to leave, requested a trade - didn't get traded. Then changed his mind and happily extended his contract at Essendon. Francis went through that experience at Essendon over the last 2 years and he played more games this season than in his 3 years previous (around 18 I believe).

Ryan O'Keefe is another one that comes to mind. Bryce Gibbs played a good final year after being denied his trade to Adelaide the first time around. Players can be professionals about these things.

Still laughing about the "only outlier comment" - geez you don't mind being wrong do you?

Neither of Gibbs or O'Keefe were struggling to either get out or stay out on the park....Gibbs then left the following year.

Daniher is a F/A next year.....Best of luck with pick 10 in a hugely compromised & shallow draft, that could see that compensation pick blow out to 15.

Real smart cookies at the Bombers.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Essendon: we said from day one we wanted a player, picks wouldn’t get it done.

Also Essendon: They didn’t even offer us pick 5!

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Essendon: we said from day one we wanted a player, picks wouldn’t get it done.

Also Essendon: They didn’t even offer us pick 5!

When a club has to play-out it's agenda in the media throughout the entirety of Trade-Week -To both justify & rationalise it's behaviour towards a player - It's a sure sign it's in internal disarray....But apparently it was all the Swans fault that Daniher no longer wanted to be there....Just as it was all Daniher's fault for not being diligent enough in his re-hab.....Note the strategy implicit in the narrative of disavowing any responsibility for themselves whatsoever.

The lack of any clear & independent critical thinking on behalf of the media scribes over this one - including the absence of any diverse opinions on the matter being aired whatsoever- reeks of an AFL led line-totting media agenda.....Barrett was most especially vociferous in his sycophantic parochialism on the issue.

To then turn around post trade-week & give this club better than a pass mark was the icing on the cake, of a media taking the football-following public for complete morons....Much as with the entirety of the Goodes affair .....Complicit PR media-campaign confirmed.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I actually agree.

This draft will help us rebuild but I think short term, at best, we went slightly backwards. For a team that won the minor Premiership I don’t see how we are considered a big winners.

Essentially it's making the best of the bum hand you were dealt. It's hard to call it a big win, as I'm betting every Geelong fan (and every other fan if their team was in the same position) would rather have kept Kelly.

But given the circumstances it was a very good outcome - Kelly only wanted to go to one team, so it's not as if there was an open market for his services.

Last edited:

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
On pure changes. Back to thread title.
Winners are rhose that got BETTER players IN. and were able to off load crap/non important players.

Winners:
Saints - hill, howard, butler, zjones
Dogs - bruce, keath
North - Bonar, Picks
Demons - Langdon, Tomlinson
Gws - Greene pick

Losers - lost elite players.
Cats - kelly
Freo - hill, langdon
port - howard
crows - keath

Everyone else was MEH.
Hawks - Patton/Frost? does nothing for me, mitch lewis hello. Frost is a liability.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Max King has played 5 VFL games, no games at AFL level.

Membrey is an above average forward but hardly one to build a forward line around for now.

Battle is a promising kid who played good football in defence this year.

Bruce would still be best 22 at St Kilda if you took an objective view
look you are right ... Round one 2020 Bruce would be best 22 for the Saints ... but the question is by round 20 would he still be ? thats not a knock on Bruce cause he is a great player and im sure you Dogs fans are going to love him but if the 2020 season runs to plan for St Kilda (and us saints fans certainly hope it does ) then by mid to late 2020 Bruce would become surplus to our needs ... the choice to trade him now while he is at his highest value (irrespective of what we eventually got for him being well under his actual worth) was made .
in the end we got less than we would have hoped for Bruce but moving him out basically solved o midfield issue for us by securing us Jones and given our transition into forward 50 was a big issue for us i think the midfield improvment whe have made sets us up to be more creative without Bruce up forward ...

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
look you are right ... Round one 2020 Bruce would be best 22 for the Saints ... but the question is by round 20 would he still be ? thats not a knock on Bruce cause he is a great player and im sure you Dogs fans are going to love him but if the 2020 season runs to plan for St Kilda (and us saints fans certainly hope it does ) then by mid to late 2020 Bruce would become surplus to our needs ... the choice to trade him now while he is at his highest value (irrespective of what we eventually got for him being well under his actual worth) was made .
in the end we got less than we would have hoped for Bruce but moving him out basically solved o midfield issue for us by securing us Jones and given our transition into forward 50 was a big issue for us i think the midfield improvment whe have made sets us up to be more creative without Bruce up forward ...
manofclay, be like st trav. st trav has a brain

sexyhunk

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
melb
AFL Club
Geelong
On pure changes. Back to thread title.
Winners are rhose that got BETTER players IN. and were able to off load crap/non important players.

Winners:
Saints - hill, howard, butler, zjones
Dogs - bruce, keath
North - Bonar, Picks
Demons - Langdon, Tomlinson
Gws - Greene pick

Losers - lost elite players.
Cats - kelly
Freo - hill, langdon
port - howard
crows - keath

Everyone else was MEH.
Hawks - Patton/Frost? does nothing for me, mitch lewis hello. Frost is a liability.

lol.

If is simple as get better players in, a team just need to trade their first round pick for decent player. So you have a decent player in and didnt lose any players.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
But they already had Daniher.
Freo didnt trade Fyfe.
Carlton didnt trade Cripps.

Fyfe and Cripps didn't ask to leave, and Fyfe is signed up for another 4 years, Cripps 2.

Daniher is a free agent next year and Essendon could theoretically lose him for a pick in teens or less. It's a gamble on Essendon's part to keep him beyond 2020 or extract a better deal next year.

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel
Bruce plays every AFL game for St Kilda in 2020 if fit

The post lacks an understanding of where we are at, but then I was only looking at the avatar.

Once I pressed reply I saw the username.

Anyhoo

In terms of KPP's

Battle will be pushed out of the backline into his more natural position of CHF, the position he was drafted for, just quietly this kid is a beauty. A fit Carlisle and hopefully a fit Roberton are your zone off / decent delivery out of the backline types that Battle was filling in for, Howard will be lockdown with Wilkie, the forgotten man Logan Austin and Marsh.

King gets every opportunity, and I mean every opportunity - but realistically will Max out at 15 games.

Membrey gets 22 games.

the resting ruck gets 75% game time forward & 22 games

No way does the 27 year old 197cm Bruce get automatic selection among that, the forward line would lack mobility and it won't be Battle, King or Marshall who miss out.

There’s a lot of playing the man and hopefulness there but I doubt Ratten would just throw everyone to the wolves if he still had Bruce. And he wanted Bruce, a contracted and required player.

Maybe the year after would be closer to what you and the rampaging saints Facebook admin want, and Bruce would have seen the writing on the wall there and got out for more security.

but he would have certainly been best 22 in 2020.

SMSBF

Senior List
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
MARSH!!!
holy * HE IS A GOOD boy.

lol no wonder we traded bruce.

we for marsh ALSO

Back