Review Winners? Losers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross is one of the untouchables. His team went from minor premier to easy beats. At worst it should have been a finish just outside the 8. That just shouldn't happen. Very dodgy.
Not dodgy at all. Why tank when you see the long term effects it's had on carlton and richmond. Injuries, lack of depth, rule changers to stop congested football and a new freo game with players that couldn't adapt all made the season from hell.

Not dodgy at all. Why tank when you see the long term effects it's had on carlton and richmond. Injuries, lack of depth, rule changers to stop congested football and a new freo game with players that couldn't adapt all made the season from hell.
Top 4 teams have had a 'season from hell': think of how many injuries the dogs had this year.

Sure you had to deal with a bunch of stuff - but how does it happen that in the space of a few months how do 15 teams go past you?
Slipping outside the 8? Yep I could see that with a s**t load of injuries and things not going right - but 3rd last on the ladder??

It's just so extreme. Is it the furthest a minor premier has dropped? 15 places in a single season? I reckon it would be.

Very very dodgy.

Top 4 teams have had a 'season from hell': think of how many injuries the dogs had this year.

Sure you had to deal with a bunch of stuff - but how does it happen that in the space of a few months how do 15 teams go past you?
Slipping outside the 8? Yep I could see that with a s**t load of injuries and things not going right - but 3rd last on the ladder??

It's just so extreme. Is it the furthest a minor premier has dropped? 15 places in a single season? I reckon it would be.

Very very dodgy.
We were ******* s**t, it's that simple. Go and watch our games before attempting to level half-baked conspiracy theories at us.

We were ******* s**t, it's that simple. Go and watch our games before attempting to level half-baked conspiracy theories at us.
The question is whether the team just stopped trying after a bad start in order to maximize its draft and trading position later in the year.

Being ******* s**t is a description of how you were, not an explanation of why you were like that after finishing top of the league the year before.

Clearly we have accepted we're in a re-build phase....2016 was our last crack at it, with our current veterans....They've gotten too slow....Simple.

Hawks have been amazing..But old man time has caught up.
Facts are..
Gibson-Old last year
Hodge-Old last Year
Burgoyne-Old last year
Birchall-Old 2 at most

Thats not the bad news

McEvoy slow and old 28 this year
Stratton 28 this year
Poupolo 28 this year
Even Cyril 28 this year

No first round draft choices for 2 more years...............................Who signed of on that list management Crazy

On the plus side Mitchel good player but had 4 A graders around him at Sydney..then I believe that O'Meara is the best of the kids but the Cooney Knee isnt good.

Moving Mitchel and Lewis was a must.

There is a reason Hill is known across the industry as "the worst triple premiership player in history". It's because he's the worst triple premiership player in history.

And he was only ever going to Freo to play with his brother. WC knew that but probably only inquired about him to jack up the price that Freo would have to pay for him.

Mate never bag a Premiership player ever or even an Afl footballer-Kids played some amazing football over 4 years grow up[

Facts are..
Gibson-Old last year
Hodge-Old last Year
Burgoyne-Old last year
Birchall-Old 2 at most

Thats not the bad news

Stratton 28 this year
Poupolo 28 this year
Even Cyril 28 this year

No first round draft choices for 2 more years...............................Who signed of on that list management Crazy

On the plus side Mitchel good player but had 4 A graders around him at Sydney..then I believe that O'Meara is the best of the kids but the Cooney Knee isnt good.

You've just highlighted the reason why we should be going after established players.

Imagine we somehow get a high draft pick next season and use it to draft a kpD to replace Gibson.

Let's say we throw the guy into the team to play every game. By the end of 2019 we will know if he is capable of holding down a key position.

Compare that to going after, say, trengove from port as a free agent. No ramp up time, hits the ground running and Gibson can retire knowing the backline is in good stead.

Let's not make it sound like 28 is the end of a career. Most of the geelong premiership backline(s) were playing their best footy when they hit 30.

The success rate of draft picks that aren't top 10 is really really low, meaning we need a lot of them for it to be a better option than going after established players, especially when they're of the age of tom Mitchell. That is brilliant trading by the Hawks.

Facts are..
Gibson-Old last year
Hodge-Old last Year
Burgoyne-Old last year
Birchall-Old 2 at most

Thats not the bad news

Stratton 28 this year
Poupolo 28 this year
Even Cyril 28 this year

Actually....I would have liked to have seen us trade out Birchall & Schoenmakers too....For mine, we didn't cut deep enough.

All of Burgers, Podge & Gibbo have been retained as leaders/mentors essentially....They'll likely rotate throughout the year in defense. If we can squeeze another 15-18 games out of each of them, then that's a bonus.

Sizzle & Big Boy are just entering their prime, & won't turn 28 till July. Both Puopolo & Stratton are both coming off their best year of footy.

Don't forget that the Dogs had all off Boyd, Murphy & Morris in defense this year....Those wise old heads are still a crucial element in any premiership.;)

You've just highlighted the reason why we should be going after established players.

Imagine we somehow get a high draft pick next season and use it to draft a kpD to replace Gibson.

Let's say we throw the guy into the team to play every game. By the end of 2019 we will know if he is capable of holding down a key position.

Compare that to going after, say, trengove from port as a free agent. No ramp up time, hits the ground running and Gibson can retire knowing the backline is in good stead.

Let's not make it sound like 28 is the end of a career. Most of the geelong premiership backline(s) were playing their best footy when they hit 30.

The success rate of draft picks that aren't top 10 is really really low, meaning we need a lot of them for it to be a better option than going after established players, especially when they're of the age of tom Mitchell. That is brilliant trading by the Hawks.

High risk.....good luck; just cause it worked in the past does not mean it will continue to do so. The reason you do not have high draft picks is not only your high position but that you keep off loading them

Hawks really are looking at having no class coming through but looking for the potential gun

I actually dont rate Melbournes pick ups.
Hibberd hasnt played in 12 months so who knows how he will go.
Lewis is/was a gun but how will he go at a new club? Not many guys walk into a new team and play well straight away.
They didnt give up much to get them both so I suppose that is a little win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually dont rate Melbournes pick ups.
Hibberd hasnt played in 12 months so who knows how he will go.
Lewis is/was a gun but how will he go at a new club? Not many guys walk into a new team and play well straight away.
They didnt give up much to get them both so I suppose that is a little win.
What a surprise Captain Cotch 9 doesn't rate something Melbourne has done

Tigers have never tanked, we've just had some really bad teams... although if you've been following your club for more than the last few years sure you've seen some bad ones as well...

Bailey Williams plus Premiership players Zaine Cordy and Shane Biggs should be able to cover. Gotta hope we draft well with picks 18 and 26. Bit of a nothing trade period for us really.

EF respect :)
a73466d91adc213d5980bbb91fefac39.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawthorn got EXACTLY what they wanted. How are we losers here?

I think you gave the following to get O'Meara:
- a future first
- pick 23
- pick 36
- pick 48
- pick 68
- can't remember if there was more.

You are also paying Vickery half a million a year.

You got nothing of trade value for losing the top 2 in your b&f.

You may not end up being losers, but surely you can see why others think you may be losers.

Very very dodgy.
Lol. If you had watched every game that we played you would realuse

Very very dodgy.
Lol. If you had watched all our games you would realise we were not tanking. We were s**t. Fitness also had a part to play with it. Playing a lot of kids. FOr a couple of games we had 2 players left in the wafl. 3 injuries away from being unable to field a side. So rubbish yes. Tanking. No.

Correct me if I'm wrong but he said in the press conference that he hasnt started running yet right?

Wouldn't say he's completely over the issues yet.

Had a clean-up at the end of the season, after playing a few NEAFL games.

Said in his first interview that should start running in a couple of weeks and will be ready for the start of pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back