Winning Flag From 4th/5th

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashboy

Senior List
May 31, 2008
Bayside
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is it easier to win the flag from lower on the ladder than top position depending on the division? Personally I feel it easier to do it Div 3 !!

Is it easier to win the flag from lower on the ladder than top position depending on the division? Personally I feel it easier to do it Div 3 !!

Div3 dont have a 5 But NO TEAM WILL Win it from down there you can count on that 5th is only a token position

Don't think from memory that any team won the GF from 4th / 5th position in the AFL when they had the old system. Very unlikely scenario in other local competitions that have been playing that finals system too. They need to win 4 games in a row without any breaks- tough ask.

I am off the opinion it is a clear advantage going into the prelim in div 3 if you can win the 1st week

I believe the last 2 years has proved that hasnt it??

The last 2 years the GF's have been between 3rd V's either 1st or 2nd???

Correct me if i am wrong

I thought the SFL got it right playing the 1st and 2nd semi final on the same weekend (Sat/Sunday) but i missed read the dates

The winner of the 2nd semi final has a huge advantage, the winner of the 1st semi final has a huge advantage going into the prelim, the loser of the 2nd semi final needs to dig deep big time!!!!

(p.s. this is all relevant to div 3, not sure about the final 5 in the other 2 divisions as i have never participated in a final 5)

I played in the U/18's at Parkdale in 98 where we finished 5th and went on to win the flag beating North Dandenong by 5 goals after they beat us by 130 odd points in the one time we played them during the season.

It can happen...

I was part of the St Pauls U/19 team that finished last (only 4 teams left in the comp at that stage), and went on to push the undefeated Clayton to the wire in the GF, leading by 22 points at HT, to eventually lose by around 20 odd points.

Would have been a pretty funny event to win the wooden spoon and flag in the same year.

Don't think from memory that any team won the GF from 4th / 5th position in the AFL when they had the old system. Very unlikely scenario in other local competitions that have been playing that finals system too. They need to win 4 games in a row without any breaks- tough ask.

I agree. 4 games in a row with finals pressure would be tough. The only way I could see it being done if the first two games were blow outs and allow the coach take players off towards the end of the match. The closer and tougher the games are the more it advantages 1st.

I agree. 4 games in a row with finals pressure would be tough. The only way I could see it being done if the first two games were blow outs and allow the coach take players off towards the end of the match. The closer and tougher the games are the more it advantages 1st.

It wont happen this year as the teams that are fifth are tokan finalists
Enjoy the ride into maybe week 2 and then it all comes crashing down and out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back