Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incredibly poor and selfish from Ussy. Calls the run and turns his back. He had to accept the risk not just because of the call, but more importantly he should have had the game sense to know Maxwell was needed at the crease.
Will cost us 20-40 runs. Hopefully he gets a rocket from the captain
Agree totally.
Absolutely spewing about Khawaja :mad::mad: with his Yes-NO-SORRY call on Maxwell :eek::eek:.
At the time, Maxwell was on fire, batting @ SR of 300+, Khawaja about 125.
Khawaja ran him out to protect his own ton and was out a few balls later anyway; absolute selfish act.
Caused mini-collapse and huge loss of runs momentum.
Khawaja, not a team player.

Last edited:
5/381
Langer would take that all day, any day.
This has probably been said before but what's with the weird shape of that ground?
Do they usually play baseball there? :rolleyes:

Agree totally.
Absolutely spewing about Khawaja :mad::mad: with his Yes-NO-SORRY call on Maxwell :eek::eek:.
Khawaja ran him out to protect his own ton and was out a few balls later anyway; absolute selfish ahole.
I mostly agree. Maxwell could have and probably should have kept running though.

I'd say Maxwell had more respect for Khawaja's wicket than vice versa.
He shouldn't have though. They left another 50 runs out there as a result.

No doubt a world cup watching the top 4 attempt to leisurely stroll to 120 ball centuries to show their "new found maturity"(tm) has robbed him of assertiveness.

Agree totally.
Khawaja ran him out to protect his own ton and was out a few balls later anyway; absolute selfish ahole.

Probably the worst thing I've read here.

Now I'll be finding out how that ignore feature works

Last edited:
5W is probably enough for us to reach the Semis. 1 out of 3 more wins would definitely guarantee this.

Bangladesh have surprised me after watching last night’s game. They have some classy batsmen for sure!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the worst thing I've read here.
Now I'll be finding out how that ignore feature works
LOL :), you'll be over-reacting with that "ignore feature" often in this Board if my comments upset your sensibilities :rolleyes:. At least 3 other posters disagreed with you.
Did you see Maxwell's shocked and angry reaction after Khawaja ran him out? I'll bet Maxwell called him more than a "selfish a****" behind closed doors. How about next time you Report the post and if the Mods (eg deaneus ?) agree they'll remove it and send me a warning?
Nevertheless, I'll edit the post.

The ball went behind square leg, so it was Khawaja's call, which he made and called Maxwell through for the run. When the ball was fielded cleanly, Khawaja stopped about halfway and sent Maxwell back, which put Maxwell at risk and protected his own wicket. Great fielding and throw btw and Maxwell was run out.
So Khawaja on 89 with a SR of 125 ran out Maxwell on 32 OFF TEN BALLS (SR 320!).

Khawaja wanted his own ton for himself (looks better than 89 on his resume), not Maxwell's 3.2runs/ball for the team. That's the selfish act of someone who is not a team player.

LOL :), you'll be over-reacting with that "ignore feature" often in this Board if my comments upset your sensibilities :rolleyes:. At least 3 other posters disagreed with you.
Did you see Maxwell's shocked and angry reaction after Khawaja ran him out? I'll bet Maxwell called him more than a "selfish a****" behind closed doors. How about next time you Report the post and if the Mods (eg deaneus ?) agree they'll remove it and send me a warning?
Nevertheless, I'll edit the post.

The ball went behind square leg, so it was Khawaja's call, which he made and called Maxwell through for the run. When the ball was fielded cleanly, Khawaja stopped about halfway and sent Maxwell back, which put Maxwell at risk and protected his own wicket. Great fielding and throw btw and Maxwell was run out.
So Khawaja on 89 with a SR of 125 ran out Maxwell on 32 OFF TEN BALLS (SR 320!).

Khawaja wanted his own ton for himself (looks better than 89 on his resume), not Maxwell's 3.2runs/ball for the team. That's the selfish act of someone who is not a team player.
He made a mistake. You never made a mistake?

He made a mistake. You never made a mistake?
Yes, often. Have you ever over-reacted?

Please note: I edited that post without being instructed/warned by Mods. Not enough for you?

Anybody who has played cricket and been run out by the yes-no-sorry from the other bloke understood my original complaint. It's not the same 'mistake' as dropping a catch, or misfielding, or kicking ootf, or missing a set shot from 20m out --- those are mistakes that nobody means to do. They are not choices.
Khawaja had a choice; either keep running and risk running himself out, or stop and risk running Maxwell out.

Khawaja chose the former, Jenny, and Maxwell with the vastly superior run rate was gone. There's an unwritten rule; team convention says that you sacrifice your own wicket if you need to protect the bloke who's batting better than yourself.
At the time, who would you have preferred to keep batting? You can bet that at the time Langer, Finch, every Australian player and supporter would have preferred Maxwell.

Khawaja preferred himself, about which the Bangladeshis were gleeful.

Please note: I edited that post without being instructed/warned by Mods. Not enough for you?

Anybody who has played cricket and been run out by the yes-no-sorry from the other bloke understood my original complaint. It's not the same 'mistake' as dropping a catch, or misfielding, or kicking ootf, or missing a set shot from 20m out --- those are mistakes that nobody means to do. They are not choices.
Khawaja had a choice; either keep running and risk running himself out, or stop and risk running Maxwell out.

Khawaja chose the former, Jenny, and Maxwell with the vastly superior run rate was gone. There's an unwritten rule; team convention says that you sacrifice your own wicket if you need to protect the bloke who's batting better than yourself.
At the time, who would you have preferred to keep batting? You can bet that at the time Langer, Finch, every Australian player and supporter would have preferred Maxwell.

I agree with this, but I will point out that Khawaja's decision took place in 1/100th of a second. It's not like he deliberated over lunch, wrote out the pros and cons, phoned a few mates for advice, and then sent him back. This is the highest level of the sport, they live on the razor's edge.

I agree with this, but I will point out that Khawaja's decision took place in 1/100th of a second. It's not like he deliberated over lunch, wrote out the pros and cons, phoned a few mates for advice, and then sent him back. This is the highest level of the sport, they live on the razor's edge.
And sometimes.... they make a mistake. Poor bastard gets hung, drawn and quartered.

Khawaja hit them pretty well too for what it's worth

Good that he and Warner seem to be finding touch at the right time.

Worried about our bowling though. Zampa has been largely ineffective. Surely we need to look at Lyon before the semis?

We're also not taking any powerplay wickets up front with the ball. Should we give Behrendorf a crack with the new ball for a game?

Khawaja hit them pretty well too for what it's worth

Good that he and Warner seem to be finding touch at the right time.

Worried about our bowling though. Zampa has been largely ineffective. Surely we need to look at Lyon before the semis?

We're also not taking any powerplay wickets up front with the ball. Should we give Behrendorf a crack with the new ball for a game?

We definitely need to find a decent third seamer and an ODI-standard spinner, and fast. Zampa hasn't been ODI-standard for years.

This.
Zampa not getting enough wickets to counter the runs he bleeds.
Discussed Lyon with a mate the other day. We both wondered why our best spin bowler has not been selected.

Occurred to me just now --- are the Aussies foxing? Maybe they're holding back one of their best weapons until they hit a spin-friendly wicket (unlikely, because the Poms have prepared batting roads) ...?
If they picked the GOAT for a semi, oppo teams would be scrambling for archival footage having not had a look at him at all in the prelim. games.
Or is Lyon injured/ maybe not a good enough fieldsman?
I think he'd do a better job than Zampa so far.

This is usually how run outs happen mate. You can't judge a character by a run out, it's a spur of the moment instantaneous reaction from "yes", "no", and then quickly followed by "* what have I done?!"

Also let me remind you of a recent run out where Warner had Finch ran out, Warner made the call and Finch was livid when walking off. Warner was batting in ok form that day and Finch was on fire, not too dissimilar to the Khawaja and Maxwell situation, where Maxwell was on fire.

... Khawaja's decision took place in 1/100th of a second. It's not like he deliberated over lunch, wrote out the pros and cons, phoned a few mates for advice, and then sent him back.
Subtle :D ;) and bloody funny.

You're right; it was a split-second decision.
Under pressure like that players revert to their instincts, their default position, and Khawaja revealed his. Khawaja would have known that Maxwell was seeing the ball like a basketball with a once-in-a-series strike rate. 32 runs from 10 balls. TEN!
He would also have known he was 11 runs away from a ton.
So, yes, in a flash, "Maxwell, or me?".
Maxwell.
An instinctively team-first player most likely would have kept running to protect Maxwell and taken his chances on the throw whose result was not known at the time the choice was made. Khawaja forced Maxwell to take that chance, not himself, even though Khawaja called for the run.
As for this:
Poor bastard gets hung, drawn and quartered.
I don't recall asking for that :rolleyes:.
I posted after Maxwell, then Khawaja, then Smith fell. 3 wickets for 2 runs when we needed Maxwell at the crease, more than Khawaja. I was annoyed, exasperated, but "hung, drawn, quartered"?? ... naaaah, Jenny.
Do you ever post when annoyed or exasperated, but re-think it later?
I didn't call for Khawaja to be dropped, or never play for Oz again or anything like your level of hyperbole.
Later, I took into account the PrideoSA objection and edited the offending word, unsolicited.

I see you're unmoved by Cricket/batting logic and ignored my reasonable question: "There's an unwritten rule; team convention says that you sacrifice your own wicket if you need to protect the bloke who's batting better than yourself. At the time, who would you have preferred to keep batting?".
Meh, fair enough.
Karma pulled the rug out from under Khawaja anyway, and we still won the game. Great!
Now for the Poms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back