Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway. Far too little attention had been paid to the six Boult carried onto the rope. That smacked of hubris and/or total lack of awareness. Any other action there and NZ win.
This (although doubt it was hubris).
Watched the slo-mo reply. He was surprised completely when he stepped onto the rope = lack of awareness of where he was, where his mate was and of how crucial the situation was.
I don't want to hang the loss on Boult because there were many other crucial events (eg Stokes' overthrows off the bat deflection) but that overstep was a bigBIG mistake.

My best mate came over last Sunday night to watch the cricket. He suggested that Smith will forever be tarnished by the ball-tampering incident, like a ghost or shadow hanging over him for the rest of his life. He might be right.
Then he said that the only thing Smith could do to lessen the damage going forward was to make a megaton of runs for the rest of his career and get his Test batting average close to 70, if not over that (possible with some big not out scores). Then he'd be remembered as "The Aussie second only to Bradman", so:
--- after his failure of leadership, do you think the selectors want Smith back as Captain, and
--- do you reckon he'd even want the job?
To my eye, Smith has an almost OCD-obsession to bat and make runs. His best chance to do that might be without the Captaincy in future.
Personally I would make Travis Head Captain, which would allow us to bring in Carey as keeper who is a matchwinner.

Would be a bold call IMO

Not sure he's ready for the added pressure
Hasn't been an issue at state level.

Khawaja has never been a captain at state level & doesn't appear the eadership type.

Carey has a poor FC record doesn't he? Not sure why he'd get in over Paine
Carey & Paine basically have identical 1st class averages.

The difference is Carey's is heading upwards.

Just named the keeper of the world cup in English conditions making runs when we really needed him too.

Selectors will look like idiots if he doesn't play.

Hearty CONGRATS to our women's team for retaining the Ashes!!

It was laughable to hear Healy and Skthelar speculate intricately about when Australia might declare :oops:, to set England a chaseable target while trying to bowl them out a second time to win the match :drunk:.
Why would they?
Oz had only to draw, to retain the Ashes.
After dominating the Poms for 3 days and having 2/3rds of a day washed out by Pommie "Summer" rain, the Aussies were never going to offer the Poms a sniff to get back into the series, which they proved by batting to a draw. It was a show of demoralising dominance, Waugh-like (war-like? :)) foot on the throat, giving them no chance at all. Excellent.

Hearty CONGRATS to our women's team for retaining the Ashes!!

It was laughable to hear Healy and Skthelar speculate intricately about when Australia might declare :oops:, to set England a chaseable target while trying to bowl them out a second time to win the match :drunk:.
Why would they?
Oz had only to draw, to retain the Ashes.
After dominating the Poms for 3 days and having 2/3rds of a day washed out by Pommie "Summer" rain, the Aussies were never going to offer the Poms a sniff to get back into the series, which they proved by batting to a draw. It was a show of demoralising dominance, Waugh-like (war-like? :)) foot on the throat, giving them no chance at all. Excellent.
Why don't they have 5 day tests?
With only one scheduled, surely they could spare another day?

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Why don't they have 5 day tests?
With only one scheduled, surely they could spare another day?

I think it’s to do with injury prevention. Females are more likely to have injuries if playing the same duration as the men. This would be my guess, similar to tennis where females play best out of 3 sets instead of 5 sets for the men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s to do with injury prevention. Females are more likely to have injuries if playing the same duration as the men. This would be my guess, similar to tennis where females play best out of 3 sets instead of 5 sets for the men.
Really? I personally couldn't see it being much different.

They play 100 overs a day so 10 more than men. Surely that would be more detrimental?

Really? I personally couldn't see it being much different.

They play 100 overs a day so 10 more than men. Surely that would be more detrimental?

I didn't realise they play 100 overs a day!

Females generally have thinner bones than male athletes, and probably more prone to stress fractures, the type of common injury in fast bowling. I'm not saying I know the actual answer, just merely making an educated guess.

JW, mate, seriously?
Mate, they play 100-over Test days as opposed to the men's 90. Nothing about more-likely-to-get-injured in that.

Having said that, I do not understand why females play best-of-three for the same prizemoney as the men who play best-of-five.
Anybody know why?
Edit: oops, just saw treeman's post, apologies treeman

So World Cup's best keeper Carey misses out being named in the 17 man squad.

How many fast medium bowlers do we need:
Starc
Cummins
Haselwood
Pattinson
Siddle
Nester
M Marsh

M Marsh has one half useful game & straight back in. Clueless, as his technique is still rubbish for Tests.

Mitch Marsh should be a good cricketer but isn't. We need to stop judging him on what we think he could do - tall, quick, strikes ball well - and instead focus on what he does do - get out cheaply, bowl pies, get injured

He's like David Mackay. Could provide some run and outside polish, balance out our inside heavy midfield. What does he do though? * all.

England seems to have suffered post-World Cup malaise. They seem to be back into gear now. Gonna be an awesome Ashes series, me thinks.

JW, mate, seriously?
Mate, they play 100-over Test days as opposed to the men's 90. Nothing about more-likely-to-get-injured in that.

Having said that, I do not understand why females play best-of-three for the same prizemoney as the men who play best-of-five.
Anybody know why?
Edit: oops, just saw treeman's post, apologies treeman
The initial question made by treeman was "why doesn't the Women's Test play out in 5 days?". My thoughts were possibly to do with injury prevention, particularly stress fractures commonly seen in fast bowling. Can't think of any other significant reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back