Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree strongly. (John Who , plz read below)
It occurred to me this morning that Warner should bat way out of his crease, 15-18 inches, because
--- it would force Broad to bowl shorter, increasing the chance of enough bounce to send the ball over the stumps, and
--- it would help Warner to get his front pad even further forward and across, to get it outside the line of off stump.
Currently, it looks like he's taking block on leg-and-middle and moving forward just enough to get his front pad plumb in front :mad:.

Smith counteracts lbw by moving across his crease to past off. If he goes forward, his pad is outside the line of off. If he stays back, his eye is good enough to turn the ball to leg.
Warner does not move forward and across. Maybe he needs to take block outside his crease on middle-and-off, or even off stump?
Certainly Warner needs to try something differently! Don’t know if batting way out of his crease is going to help. You counteract the LBW appeal but at the risk of less reaction time and knicking the ball for a caught behind.

Though I honestly think it’s really the mental application. He’s batted to Broad in past series and I don’t recall him being anyone’s bunny like he is to Broad right now. It’s about the better shot selections and being concrete in when to leave a ball. Warner batted ok in the first innings 3rd Test, he just needs to apply that kind of mental application again.

It's clearly all mental with Warner - he's had a tough period. Smith and he have responded very differently to their return, and the English crowd and media response.

Although I don’t really advocate for MMarsh’s selection, it’s good to see him bowl some quality balls and wickets.

Also I’m curious to see how he goes with the bat. If anyone can recall MMarsh was batting at his prime along with Smith at his prime prior to the tampering scandal. He actually got a century or two. With Smith banned, MMarsh’s batting plummeted with it.

It's clearly all mental with Warner - he's had a tough period. Smith and he have responded very differently to their return, and the English crowd and media response.
Absolutely! I think there’s a stronger component of guilt in Warner’s case, which reflects more on the mental burden in this Test series.

Although I don’t really advocate for MMarsh’s selection, it’s good to see him bowl some quality balls and wickets.

Also I’m curious to see how he goes with the bat. If anyone can recall MMarsh was batting at his prime along with Smith at his prime prior to the tampering scandal. He actually got a century or two. With Smith banned, MMarsh’s batting plummeted with it.
He scored 2 centuries in the space of 4 tests - the only 2 centuries of his entire career. It was a brief and unexpected display of competence, from one of the worst players to ever don the baggy green cap.

Prior to that, he officially held the title of WOAT (the opposite of Lyon's GOAT). After that brief bout of competence, he returned to his baseline level of incompetence. He currently sits 3rd on the list of worst #6 test batsmen of all time, world-wide. His average of 26.94 is just 1 run more than that of JP Duminy, who leads the table on 25.91. Second on the ladder is Dwayne Bravo, averaging 26.61. There's a very good chance that MMarsh will move past him by the time this test is over.

I know we all get frustrated with how many chances he gets but last night shows us why they persevere.

A true all rounder is just so invaluable. He has made a test hundred and now a 4 wicket haul. If he could put that together consistently it improves the sides immeasurably.

Of course it remains to be seen whether he can do it consistently.

I know we all get frustrated with how many chances he gets but last night shows us why they persevere.

A true all rounder is just so invaluable. He has made a test hundred and now a 4 wicket haul. If he could put that together consistently it improves the sides immeasurably.

He's had 31 tests in which to prove that he can do it consistently. He's shown that he can't do it consistently - he does it once in a blue moon.

This is the 8th time he's taken 4-for. He's never had a 5-for. His current 4/35 is actually the best bowling figures of his entire career. His bowling average is 40.30, which is about 14 more than his batting average...

This is the 6th time he's been brought back into the team after being dropped. How many more chances does this cretin need?

Last edited:

But he won't he's had plenty of chances and continues to fail

He'll make bugger all runs.

He's had 31 tests in which to prove that he can do it consistently. He's shown that he can't do it consistently - he does it once in a blue moon.

This is the 8th time he's taken 4-for. He's never had a 5-for. His current 4/35 is actually the best bowling figures of his entire career. His bowling average is 40.30, which is about 14 more than his batting average...

This is the 6th time he's been brought back into the team after being dropped. How many more chances does this turd burglar need?
Hey read my post. I’m no fan either.

All I’m saying is that I can understand why selectors are seduced and persevere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just saw the interview during which MMarsh said what's quoted below:
"Marsh acknowledged his problematic relationship with Australian cricket fans post-stumps.
"Yeah, most of Australia hates me," he said.
"Look, Australians are passionate. They love their cricket. They want people to do well.
"It's no doubt that I've had a lot of opportunity at Test level and haven't quite nailed it, but hopefully they can respect me for the fact that I keep coming back and I love playing for Australia, wearing the baggy green cap and I'll keep trying and hopefully win them over one day," he added. "
(https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09...ngland-v-australia-day-one-live-blog/11507664)
He said the latter with such sincerity and a hopeful smile that it won me over. I feel sorry for the bloke. It'd be tough being aware that he's so widely disliked. I'm not happy with his previous results but I can respect his great attitude.
He turns 28 in October and might have another 5 years at top level. It'd be good for him and Australian cricket if he could string together some consistently good performances. His swing bowling last night certainly was impressive.

He scored 2 centuries in the space of 4 tests - the only 2 centuries of his entire career. It was a brief and unexpected display of competence, from one of the worst players to ever don the baggy green cap.

Prior to that, he officially held the title of WOAT (the opposite of Lyon's GOAT). After that brief bout of competence, he returned to his baseline level of incompetence. He currently sits 3rd on the list of worst #6 test batsmen of all time, world-wide. His average of 26.94 is just 1 run more than that of JP Duminy, who leads the table on 25.91. Second on the ladder is Dwayne Bravo, averaging 26.61. There's a very good chance that MMarsh will move past him by the time this test is over.
I think you’ve missed my point. His supreme batting back a couple of years ago coincided with Smith ramping up his batting average. I think the selectors are keen (and so am I) to see how he bats with the stability factor that is Steve Smith.

Some players are consistently average throughout their career, and some are better in the presence of greatness. Hoping MMarsh is the latter.

This really is worth watching (MMarsh interview starts at 1:03):

I've never 'hated' Mitch Marsh the person and it's easy to see from the interview that he's sincere about his love for playing for Oz; totally nice young bloke.
Hopefully, hopefully, this will be the start of many more strong performances from him.

This really is worth watching (MMarsh interview starts at 1:03):

I've never 'hated' Mitch Marsh the person and it's easy to see from the interview that he's sincere about his love for playing for Oz; totally nice young bloke.
Hopefully, hopefully, this will be the start of many more strong performances from him.

Seems to have increase his pace, always saw him as a genuine bowler who can bat.

1) Seems to have increase his pace, 2) always saw him as a genuine bowler who can bat.
1) = increase in fitness, trimmed down a bit. He certainly swung the ball both ways last night. As an ex-bowler, I know that's VERY hard to do (I never could). Requires immense discipline/concentration and careful wrist position. The Bairstow and Woakes LBWs were excellent. It was some fine swing bowling with good control.
2) I've always seen him as someone who wasted potential, maybe not as much as Watson, but similar. Given chance after chance, failure upon failure. I thought his two tons close together might have represented a significant turning point, but no.
Then I read somewhere he was giving up T20 big bucks to focus on batting/bowling in England; got his chance (again!) last night, grabbed it with both hands.

I really hope he goes on with it now (and I've had that hope a few times before). Time will tell.

Maybe Paine rates him higher?
Can't be any doubt that Langer rates MMarsh. To many of us his latest selection was inexplicable, as much as his 4/35 was a welcome surprise.
It occurred to me only today that maybe he's been hooping the ball around since they got to The Oval training wickets
and was a Monty for selection?
I'm still confused by the Siddle selection, the we-need-to-rest-our-bowlers mantra then the decision to bowl :drunk:.

Credit where it's due, Marsh did bowl extremely well late on.

Can't be any doubt that Langer rates MMarsh. To many of us his latest selection was inexplicable, as much as his 4/35 was a welcome surprise.
It occurred to me only today that maybe he's been hooping the ball around since they got to The Oval training wickets
and was a Monty for selection?
I'm still confused by the Siddle selection, the we-need-to-rest-our-bowlers mantra then the decision to bowl :drunk:.
M Marsh has been picked before by other coaches

It's not just Langer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back