Not open for further replies.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Maxwell has to stay in. Langer is just trying to confuse the poms, surely?
Dunno. Langer's confusing me! :drunk:
Wade's in cracking form with the bat. Apart from that whizz-bang knock when Khawaja ran him out, Maxwell has not looked like a dominant batsman. His timing looks off.
Langer has said Handscomb will play (IN for Khawaja) and Stoinis passed a rigorous fitness test. I'd like to see Wade given a chance to reward his form:
Finch
Warner
Smith
Handscomb/Wade (either 4 or 5)
Carey
Stoinis
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Behrendorff

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Hopefully, no rain in tonight’s game!
Mate, I hope it rains a waterfall on the pitch ==> Aussies go in to the Final.
(I'd rather beat the Poms, but rain would eliminate any injury risk, just in case any of our blokes are dumb enough to step on a cricket ball McGrath-style :rolleyes: )

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
The semis should be 1v2, 3v4 with the winner of 1v2 going to the final, and the loser playing [winner of] 3v4 for a spot in the decider.
That's old school Top-4, isn't it? Good idea, but it would be hard to schedule eg how many days rest between those games, two? Three?
There is an 'advantage', though; the team ranked higher after preliminary rounds wins in the case of a washout.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mate, I hope it rains a waterfall on the pitch ==> Aussies go in to the Final.
(I'd rather beat the Poms, but rain would eliminate any injury risk, just in case any of our blokes are dumb enough to step on a cricket ball McGrath-style :rolleyes: )
Nah, I much rather we play the conventional way to reach the Final. If we rely on the rain to get the Cup then it’s not going to be very satisfying! :)

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Lol - I’ve won a cricket GF on the rain. Didn’t give a rats!!!!

We’d earned that advantage with a better season overall than our opponent
Ridiculous comment!

A premiership won gives you actual memories of match winning things that occurred on the day

The rain robbed you of that. Can't do anything about it of course. Them's the breaks but frustrating.

If the Australia vs South Africa semi final had been washed out in 1999 Australia would have still progressed to the final but every single cricket fan is glad it wasn't. A "where were you when" moment of our time.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Nah, I much rather we play the conventional way to reach the Final. If we rely on the rain to get the Cup then it’s not going to be very satisfying! :)
Lol - I’ve won a cricket GF on the rain. Didn’t give a rats!!!! We’d earned that advantage with a better season overall than our opponent
I'm with PJ.
It's a World Cup. If rained out it's because we beat NZ in playoffs and finished higher than them by 3 points and superior RR.
I'd take it, no worries, with immense satisfaction given where we were 12 months ago.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lol - I’ve won a cricket GF on the rain. Didn’t give a rats!!!!

We’d earned that advantage with a better season overall than our opponent
Deep down, I actually wouldn’t care if it rains and we end up with the Cup due to our superior amount of wins and percentages. It certainly would bring a smile for sure!

This setting though is different to the question “would it be as satisfying?” (as in playing the conventional way to get the Cup).

To me, it’s an “absolute no”.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ridiculous comment!

A premiership won gives you actual memories of match winning things that occurred on the day

The rain robbed you of that. Can't do anything about it of course. Them's the breaks but frustrating.

If the Australia vs South Africa semi final had been washed out in 1999 Australia would have still progressed to the final but every single cricket fan is glad it wasn't. A "where were you when" moment of our time.
Well all I can say is that the memory of the rain coming at tea on day 2 with the oppo still 30 odd short, is burned forever in my mind and my team mates.

Absolute scenes running around in our underwear in the rain.

Still laugh about it now

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm with PJ.
It's a World Cup. If rained out it's because we beat NZ in playoffs and finished higher than them by 3 points and superior RR.
I'd take it, no worries, with immense satisfaction given where we were 12 months ago.
Kind of like this analogy:

Steve Bradbury winning the Olympics. Did he enjoy the win? Probably yes!
Would he prefer winning without the others falling in a heap? Probably yes too!

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Well all I can say is that the memory of the rain coming at tea on day 2 with the oppo still 30 odd short, is burned forever in my mind and my team mates.

Absolute scenes running around in our underwear in the rain.

Still laugh about it now
What would the scenes/memories have been like if you'd bowled them out short of the target?

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Ridiculous comment!
Nah, why's it "ridiculous"?
You can't tell Peter J how to feel about his GF win. :neutral:
Besides, he probably has heaps of good memories from the season as a whole. Hey PJ, did you beat that mob in the Minor Round?
(I was batting @ #10 in GF when wicket fell at 8-for, with us still needing 6 runs to win. First ball I received was a nervous full toss on leg side which I poked at very nervously and got 2 runs past midwicket. End of over.
Next ball, I watched from non-striker's end. Don't know if it was deliberate or nervous mistake but the bloke bowled a monstrous leg-side wide that went for 4. Keeper had no chance. The end.
Anti-climax. I've always felt a bit flat about that, but still happy with the win.)

Last edited:

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Kind of like this analogy:
Steve Bradbury winning the Olympics. Did he enjoy the win? Probably yes!
Would he prefer winning without the others falling in a heap? Probably yes too!
I saw Bradbury interviewed about that. He told the you-were-lucky, didn't-deserve-it haters where to shove it because he knew how hard he had worked to make that Final. They fell over. Lucky?
Yeah, but he had made his own luck over years to get himself in the right place at the right time.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Nah, why's it "ridiculous"?
You can't tell Peter J how to feel about his GF win. :neutral:
Besides, he probably has heaps of good memories from the season as a whole. Hey PJ, did you beat that mob in the Minor Round?
You'd have those memories anyway plus some other good ones

The experience of playing in (and hopefully winning) a grand final is what you are after. Life is the sum of your experiences.

If a team wins by default (washout) then they deserve to win, have earned it over the course of the season and it's completely out of their control so no problems there. But you'd have to feel a little short changed.

The achievement without the experience.

If Australia 'wins' the semi or final via washout that will be exceptionally disappointing

Albeit funny if it's England

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
What would the scenes/memories have been like if you'd bowled them out short of the target?
If it looks better we actually won 2 on the bounce.

The 1st we were chasing a moderate score, but collapsed. Our no11 who had barely made a run all year slapped 30 odd at the death to get us over the line by 1 wicket. Classic cricket tale but true story.

So yeah, I get the difference. Maybe that experience made the 2nd rain affected game a bit more light hearted.

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
If it looks better we actually won 2 on the bounce.

The 1st we were chasing a moderate score, but collapsed. Our no11 who had barely made a run all year slapped 30 odd at the death to get us over the line by 1 wicket. Classic cricket tale but true story.

So yeah, I get the difference. Maybe that experience made the 2nd rain affected game a bit more light hearted.
Maxwell in Peter J ... let's see how he performs in a big one - one thing is for sure , he is DUE !

Simmo28

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2014
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Last WC score is meaningless now. India was the best team this WC and lost it to NZ with a 3 match losing streak coming into the SF!

Awesome game yesterday. Hopefully, no rain in tonight’s game!

The quote was that they are NEVER easy beats. It was a fantastic game. Don’t agree India were the best team this comp, I believe the Aussies were and had a minor hiccup against SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back