Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Think it’s probably because he injured the same calf, probably not allowed to have a runner due to that.
If it was the other leg, then he may well have been allowed to have a runner.
I don't think runners are allowed at all anymore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps a good time to get England. Going through the equivalent of a premiership hangover. Might be a bit flat to start the series.

Add Archer and a spinner and a different No 4 batsman they'll be a tougher unit.

Would we go unchanged? They might think Cummins and Pattinson are enough strike power and happy to have Siddle as the foil. Good result for the selectors.

Perhaps a good time to get England. Going through the equivalent of a premiership hangover. Might be a bit flat to start the series.

Add Archer and a spinner and a different No 4 batsman they'll be a tougher unit.

Would we go unchanged? They might think Cummins and Pattinson are enough strike power and happy to have Siddle as the foil. Good result for the selectors.
Bancroft surely misses

Autopsy:
Great win. Will be remembered as an Ashes standout for decades.
If the Aussies win one more Test, the Poms will have to win 3 to get the Ashes back. Can't see it, unless someone hobbles Smith *touch wood*.
ABC24 just reported (with more than a little hyperbole, I thought) that for the bowlers 5 Ashes Tests is the equivalent of running 5 Marathons in 6 weeks.
Stop-start Marathons, maybe, with some rests in between :rolleyes: . Either way, it's arduous.
Omitting Starc has been vindicated, might be a masterstroke saving him for faster wickets. Siddle was unlucky, Cummins intimidating, Pattinson erratic, Lyon --- well, Lyon was just the GOAT. His flight and turn were a treat to watch. Moeen Bunny will wake up screaming night after night for the next 5 weeks.
Tbc ...

Where have all the Wade-haters gone with their he-failed-before-he's-only a-T20-bully scorn? His timely 110 was just what the team needed and more than justified his selection. It was not an easy wicket to bat on. Woakes of all people was their top-scorer in the second dig. CAN bowl (got Smith with a beauty), CAN bat.
If they drop Bancroft, they'll have to drop Warner as well. Doubt it, but if Bancroft fails at Lord's, he'll go.
Honestly, Bancroft looked out of touch and miserable in Edgbaston.

The Poms will say that we beat a 10-man side with Anderson injured. Hey, they picked him. It was touch-and-go, and he went. The Aussies can only beat the team picked and played.
What I loved about the win was the way they won. Strong fightback, led by Smith. Even Paine admitted they were behind the Poms for the first 3 days. Plenty of tough cricket, some niggle, but nothing like the awful Ugly Australian cricket that made them loathed world-wide.

I enjoyed a lot of the sandpaper jokes and Warner kidding with the crowd. I wish he'd switched the new ball after 4 balls with an old one that he'd ripped up with an angle-grinder, but I doubt that the Umps would have seen the funny side.
The Umpires? Woeful. I've never seen so many decisions overturned, nor so many batsmen review their inside edges and LBWs so quickly.

Bring on Lord's!
As for the Poms with their mindless booing of Smith while he went on his twitchy, run-amassing ways, suck on that.
To come back from 8/122 on the first day and win so comprehensively was extraordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back