Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Haven't been a hard core cricket follower for nearly a decade now but correct me if I'm wrong, when Smith came onto the scene wasn't he a leg spinner who could bat abit? Amazing talent.
Yep, he was purely a spin bowling/batting all-rounder at the start of his Test career. His obsessive traits probably mean he spent too much time on both forms of play, and this probably resulted in him not being elite in either forms.

Not sure if it was entirely his choice, but a few years on, he decided to focus on mainly batting, and the results now are for all to see.

Dunno, but makes sense that they might not be best mates now.
How it would affect or cause their methods of dismissal, I couldn't say. Bancroft looked unhappy, tense, and his feet weren't moving.
Warner's lbw should have been reviewed, but his nick out looked like impatience and good bowling.
I wasn’t referring to their dismissals (as in how), rather their level of comfort at the crease together. Warner looked good when batting with ? before Bancroft was called up. Now he looks at sixes and sevens.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wasn’t referring to their dismissals (as in how), rather their level of comfort at the crease together. Warner looked good when batting with ? before Bancroft was called up. Now he looks at sixes and sevens.
You’re probably right on some subconscious level. Though I think they deserve a couple more games to see if there is still chemistry in the opening partnership. Both having not played Tests for a fair while and hopefully can do better in their next match.

Smith has shown you can put the past behind you. Hopefully those openers can follow suit.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I doubt that we've yet seen the best of Smith.
As proud as he would be of his 144 and 142, he'd be unhappy that one or both didn't go on to 150+, if not 200+. Nicking off to Woakes would have annoyed him.
I don't think for a second that he's batting for his average (he was bowled chasing quick runs in the first dig) but I'd bet his focus is upon turning 100's into BIG hundreds. What can he aim for, after that?

NEVER getting out :drunk: --- or as infrequently as possible --- as weird as that sounds, I reckon he's thought about it.

Last edited:

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
So do the selectors make changes for the next test at Lords?
Doubt they'd dump Bancroft after one test but he looked a walking wicket in both innings
They rarely change winning sides.
Bancroft has probably got the nod for 2 (if not 3) Tests. George Bailey scarcely made a run but was retained in that 2013 5-0 whitewash, although he did clobber 24 off an Anderson over.
I'd love to see Starc at Lord's. Something about that sloping wicket suits him and he'd be gnarly-hungry after missing the 1st Test. However, Langer said that Siddle's bowling in the second dig was the best none-for he'd ever seen. Starc in for Pattinson/Siddle? Tough call.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So do the selectors make changes for the next test at Lords?

Surely Bancroft is out for Harris.

Then will conditions suit to go all out attack with Starc in for Siddle?
Hard to change a winning bowling combo. Thought Siddle did some good work, tied up an end when needed which allowed all out attack from the others.

I’m with you re Bancroft, really not sure what they see in him. Unlikely to drop him after one test but on notice.

Didn’t Paine look world class keeping to Lyon? That catch he took off Stokes was an absolute peach, and was the exact reason he ranks ahead of Carey (aside from capataincy).

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
It's hard to see Siddle being dropped. He didn't get the wickets he deserved, but it wasn't a result of bad bowling.

Bancroft's position is far less secure. He doesn't have the runs in the bank to fall back on, and his technical deficiencies are just as evident as they were pre-ban. Given that he was dropped into the side unexpectedly, it's likely that Harris will regain his previous opening position sooner rather than later.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
The balance of the attack is the key

You want Cummins and Pattinson to be the impact bowlers. Short spells, high intensity, aggressive.

Lyon and Siddle to be the stayers. Long spells, lots of dots, build pressure.

Adding Starc for Siddle changes the dynamic. Cummins then has to become a workhorse.

I agree with Godallblighty that Hazelwood will be the Siddle back up throughout the series.

Starc if Cummins or Pattinson need a breather.

Fair luxury to have those two waiting in the wings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Haven't been a hard core cricket follower for nearly a decade now but correct me if I'm wrong, when Smith came onto the scene wasn't he a leg spinner who could bat abit? Amazing talent.
Not really. Thats just how we played him. For NSW he was a batsman scoring 100's and bowled some leggies. We brought him to the one day side batting him at 8 trying to turn him into a bowling all rounder when he was always a batsman

They rarely change winning sides.
Bancroft has probably got the nod for 2 (if not 3) Tests. George Bailey scarcely made a run but was retained in that 2013 5-0 whitewash, although he did clobber 24 off an Anderson over.
I'd love to see Starc at Lord's. Something about that sloping wicket suits him and he'd be gnarly-hungry after missing the 1st Test. However, Langer said that Siddle's bowling in the second dig was the best none-for he'd ever seen. Starc in for Pattinson/Siddle? Tough call.
They changed the last winning side significantly! ;)

Dropped centurions...

Hard to change a winning bowling combo. Thought Siddle did some good work, tied up an end when needed which allowed all out attack from the others.

I’m with you re Bancroft, really not sure what they see in him. Unlikely to drop him after one test but on notice.

Didn’t Paine look world class keeping to Lyon? That catch he took off Stokes was an absolute peach, and was the exact reason he ranks ahead of Carey (aside from capataincy).
Carey would have taken the drop catch to Siddle though, where Paine wrong-footed himself. ;)

The balance of the attack is the key

You want Cummins and Pattinson to be the impact bowlers. Short spells, high intensity, aggressive.

Lyon and Siddle to be the stayers. Long spells, lots of dots, build pressure.

Adding Starc for Siddle changes the dynamic. Cummins then has to become a workhorse.

I agree with Godallblighty that Hazelwood will be the Siddle back up throughout the series.

Starc if Cummins or Pattinson need a breather.

Fair luxury to have those two waiting in the wings.
Think you are right with regards to the bowling balance.

If conditions suit Starc, they will likely rest Pattinson who should probably be managed through the series any way.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Think you are right with regards to the bowling balance.
If conditions suit Starc, they will likely rest Pattinson who should probably be managed through the series any way.
Yes, they're well-spoiled for choice of bowler/s, aren't they?
I thought they went into Edgbaston a bowler short and very happily proved to be wrong.
I agree about managing Pattinson, plus Starc does bowl well :devil: at Lord's.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon Starc and Pattinson will play 3 tests each, Cummins 4. Siddle is the one durable enough to play all 5 but I'll take a stab and say he'll do 3 and Hazelwood 2.
Interesting article on Cricinfo just now. Key part of our bowling plan was denial of boundaries, which was a big part of wanting Siddle.

The tour match Aus are playing right now Head is not out with a 100 kawahja made a 50, Bancroft outscored Harris opening

Lambushage and Marsh only managed 15 each
Haselwood 2/2 from 4 overs
Starc 1/27 from 4 overs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back