Winx is a Goat

Dazlington

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was suspended so I’m only responding to this now. Would you take a champion horse you owned overseas and risk injury and future preps for a big race overseas? I wanted Winx to go overseas but squibbing it is a bridge too far. They kept her in Australia because it was nearly guaranteed that she would win them another $15m.

Opinions are like arseholes in that everyone has one

Jugada

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I was suspended so I’m only responding to this now. Would you take a champion horse you owned overseas and risk injury and future preps for a big race overseas? I wanted Winx to go overseas but squibbing it is a bridge too far. They kept her in Australia because it was nearly guaranteed that she would win them another $15m.

Who cares about the $15 million. They don't need or even keep the money

Apr 30, 2007
Drouin
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
If it was about the money, she could have gone to Dubai and earned boatloads.

It had nothing to do with money, nor about squibbing it. In the end it was about protecting the country’s jewel of racing so we could enjoy her as long as possible.

Nah owners and Waller squibbed it. Weren't happy to risk losing to take on the best races in the world

Be better Jug - they weren't worried about losing - she would have faced extremely weak years had she headed over there in either 2017 or 2018. I have no doubt their primary concern was for the health of the horse and to break the Cox Plate record. If she hadn't already won 2 I am sure they would have gone to Europe in 2017

Don't give me that health of the horse spin. They squibbed it because of a winning streak and were happy with the constant soft options that were just put in take out for the resume

Yes because taking on Accidental Agent would have been so so tough

Dazlington

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Times Winx has faced off against 3+ Waller stayers first up over unsuitable distances please

Accept that she can only beat who she is up against and other trainers squibbed facing off with her in various races but you can’t deny Waller squibbed it

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
it's an irrelevant debate.

she could only get beat due to bad luck in any race she contested and couple that with a horse doing their best to beat her with perfect run. most would agree with that statement.

that's a fact, and one you can not say about many horses, ever.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The same people always on the same side, they always say the Winx lovers do not pay history respect, interesting as if history has shown us one thing, it is how good winx is.

Coming out of the depression, the general feeling towards Phar Lap was he had not beaten much. that in a time out of the war and not much money around the quality/volume of horses around had fallen. Really what they were seeing was a horse that was that much better then the rest that he made them look like BM58 scrubbers.

Years later Black caviar had the same questions and punished anything around her with ease. while Phar Lap's pure record lasted the test of time, as will Caviars as will Winx's. our 3 best we've had.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
before i get shot down

I think it was perfect time to retire her probably just a touch off her best which i mean is not unexpected for an 8yo mare. probably peaked in 2016 which was some 3 years ago now. that said, completely dependant on the field but i'd expect $1.28

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
before i get shot down

I think it was perfect time to retire her probably just a touch off her best which i mean is not unexpected for an 8yo mare. probably peaked in 2016 which was some 3 years ago now. that said, completely dependant on the field but i'd expect $1.28
She is 7

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
before i get shot down

Pretty much. The 2016 Cox Plate followed by the almost faultless Autumn campaign in 2017, capped by the QE demolition. That was followed by a couple of hiccups and near misses in Spring, including the Cox Plate. Autumn and Spring 18 were short and relatively straight forward, as was this final campaign. But besides the 2018 Chipping Norton, which was a shocking field, she really didn't gap them, Winx gap them, from the 17 Turnbull onwards. Which for me, makes her all the more amazing. She declined ever so slightly from that point yet still had a ridiculous amount on everything else and just kept winning.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Her best win was the first Cox Plate. It was easily the best field she has met but she had the fast lane..... Her 2nd best win was the George Ryder where she beat Chataquat and a couple of other decent horses. Every other field she has met is below true group 1 class even the Cox Plates... sorry but its true..
Her 2016 Cox plate win way over rated. She was always 6 lengths better than Hartcat. and there was zero depth in that field.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
before i get shot down

$1.28 would be way unders for this years Cox Plate. Her stablemate who the owners said wouldn’t race against her will win this year. I honestly believe if Waller thought Winx would win the Cox Plate this year it would have been her last run.

Back