Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts NFL Board HoF
Oct 5, 2004
Athens, GA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Phils, Eagles, Flyers, Sunderland
Anybody on here a collector? I got my first in 1985, when I attended my first Ashes Test in Manchester and have been working on adding earlier volumes through the years. Did a lot once the NET hit and I found bookfinder.com.

Almost have a complete run from the end of the Second World War to the past season- missing 1946, 1962 and 1964. A mixture of hardbacks and soft cover, but most in excellent condition. My pride and joy was getting a hard cover 1949 Wisden, to read the account of the Invincibles.

Also have a complete run of the Wisden Australia (what was it- 5 or 6 of them?) and a set of Allan's Australian Annual.

Reckon this would bring a fair bit if I decided to sell, but that won't happen for some time.

Might start looking at pre WW2 volumes- one at a time on those, as the price gets a bit higher.

I've got six more to get to have a full set of hardcovers back to 1950 inclusive. I don't particularly want to go back any further than that, it gets quite pricey.

I also have a full collection of the Australian Wisden and Allan's annual, plus a full set of Playfair Cricket Annual (from 1948 onwards).

Also have a complete set of the old Australian Cricket magazine (and all its annuals), the old Cricketer magazine (and all its annuals) and Playfair Cricket Monthly.

Plus a complete set of ABC cricket books from 1960 onwards.

Plus heaps of other s**t........

1963, hundredth edition. Cracking essay on test cricket by one Robert Menzies, a lot of the questions he raises in the piece are still relevant today. Also notable for being the edition that England World Cup hero Geoff Hurst (West Ham is the only club side to have won the World Cup, discuss) makes an appearance playing one f/c match for Essex making 0 and 0*, without bowling.
Have collection dating back to 1952 with a complete run from 1970. Love the little yellow books.

Unless you can go time traveling in them I don't want to get any. For those unaware I'm referring to the Toby Jones books.
I specifically buy the Time Travel editions of Wisden for that very reason.

I had a wonderful day at the Lords test of 1972 yesterday, it was great seeing Massie rip through the Poms.

Over the years I have accumulated some extra editions of Wisden. I was going to sell them on eBay but this thread suggests there may be people here who would be interested in buying them.

This is what I have to sell:
1963 Limp-Linen
1967 Hard-Cover
1972 Limp-Linen
1973 Limp-Linen
1976 Limp-Linen
1985 Limp-Linen
1992 Hard-Cover

If you are interested in buying any of these, please PM me and I'll let you know cost (which won't be too much in Wisden terms) and condition of the book, etc.

Thanks. :)

Good to see there are some of us out there who collect those lovely yellow books- and what a great idea, sherb, for getting rid of your extra copies. I know I've got a few duplicates myself- you forget what you have, and the books are sometimes hidden in nooks you don't check out. I'll check to see what i have. Like you, it would eb nice to get them to somebody who is looking at building a collection.

Oh, and i love going down memory lane as well- did a fair bit recent in Allan's Annuals- remembering a few of the matches I saw whilst in Australia.

My run of Wisdens stretches from the 1947 edition to 2004. Like a few others on this thread, I am not that eager to buy earlier editions because of the price. The same is true for modern editions. I don't have the desire to fork out over 100 bucks for a copy. I bought my 2004 edition for only $6.00 from Book Talk in Richmond. Also managed to find the 1996 edition for $12.95 at Angus and Robertson in Brisbane in 1997.

I too have all ten editions of the Cricketer annuals, as well as all seven of the ABC annuals (1990-1996).

I also have a full set of the 1980-81 Scanlens cricket cards and I still have my McDonalds cricket poster from 1977-78, the first summer these were produced. It featured all the World Series Cricket players with Ronald McDonald sitting awkwardly in the middle of them. I have the 1979-80 poster as well, the one where Mike Hendrick "had his leg removed".

My run of Wisdens stretches from the 1947 edition to 2004. Like a few others on this thread, I am not that eager to buy earlier editions because of the price. The same is true for modern editions. I don't have the desire to fork out over 100 bucks for a copy. I bought my 2004 edition for only $6.00 from Book Talk in Richmond. Also managed to find the 1996 edition for $12.95 at Angus and Robertson in Brisbane in 1997.

I too have all ten editions of the Cricketer annuals, as well as all seven of the ABC annuals (1990-1996).

I also have a full set of the 1980-81 Scanlens cricket cards and I still have my McDonalds cricket poster from 1977-78, the first summer these were produced. It featured all the World Series Cricket players with Ronald McDonald sitting awkwardly in the middle of them. I have the 1979-80 poster as well, the one where Mike Hendrick "had his leg removed".

Nice collection- for the volumes from the 2000s, you can find cheap copies online. Just don't look to pick up the book as soon as it is published. The Wisden site offers a number of the recent editions for around 10 pounds each- you'll have postage costs, of course, but if you were to buy three or four together, the shipping would come out less.

Another website that is great for finding books is www,bookfinder.com Type in the title or author you want and it searches bookstores around the world and gives you choices with wildly varying prices. I've managed to complete my 1946-2011 run through bookfinder getting volumes from the 50s and 60s for around $40 US per volume. Not all are pristine clean copies, but they look fabulous on my bookshelf.and are easy to read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Grandfather has a complete collection (that's what I'm told, I haven't audited him though!). He inherited the older ones from his father and started collecting when he was a child. I know he has replaced a few newer ones that were damaged (one chewed by a dog and one had red wine spilled on it!) but I'm fairly sure it is still a full collection.

My Grandfather has a complete collection (that's what I'm told, I haven't audited him though!). He inherited the older ones from his father and started collecting when he was a child. I know he has replaced a few newer ones that were damaged (one chewed by a dog and one had red wine spilled on it!) but I'm fairly sure it is still a full collection.
That would be worth a fortune. :)

That would be worth a fortune. :)

Think I read somewhere it could bring anywhere from 150 000 to 200 000 pounds, based on condition of the volumes and certain unusual quirks in some volumes (errata notices, attached bookmarks etc). Worth checking it out.

Over the years I have accumulated some extra editions of Wisden. I was going to sell them on eBay but this thread suggests there may be people here who would be interested in buying them.

This is what I have to sell:
1963 Limp-Linen
1967 Hard-Cover (sold)
1972 Limp-Linen
1973 Limp-Linen
1976 Limp-Linen
1985 Limp-Linen
1992 Hard-Cover

If you are interested in buying any of these, please PM me and I'll let you know cost (which won't be too much in Wisden terms) and condition of the book, etc.

Thanks. :)
I got one buyer (see above). :)

If anyone is interested in buying any of the remaining volumes, could they please let me know.

I'll be ebaying them soon otherwise. :)

There are actually reprints of early Wisdens available - from the first (1879) up to 1945. these are called Willows editions. However, they didn't do enough, and now even these are becoming collectable.
http://www.wisdenworld.co.uk/store/ecom-prodshow/Wisden_RC5303.html

Roger Page is one of the best cricket bookstores in the world - right here in Victoria. he can pretty much get anything you want.

http://rpcricketbooks.com/
I've got a couple of Willows editions, 1891 and 1940 and they really are lovely high quality reproductions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back