Wishing Mitch Well

Remove this Banner Ad

Wishing him a full, speedy recovery and a return to his best form. Long road ahead but he'll get through it an even stronger person.

Looks like surgery went well. Hopefully it's a speedy recovery without complication, he's the type of guy who defines a footy club.

Is that the twitter post with mitch giving the thumbs up in his hospital bed - great sign!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Still just can't believe this.

I can't begin to imagine how much he would be hurting right now. Each time I've heard him speak or others speak of him I've been left with the overwhelming impression that he lives and breathes football and takes his fitness extremely seriously. He adores the club and fully embraces the lifestyle of a professional footballer, enjoying every single second of it. I have little doubt that it would crush him to know he faces at least 10-12 months out of the game and several months of very limited physical activity. Made it bloody hard to watch. I've seen Nathan Brown do it; I've seen Paul George do it; I've seen young Stringer do it...but nothing compares to how I felt when I realised what had happened to Wallis and saw the look on his face. Really hope he's doing okay and has a speedy recovery. He has been so important for us over such a long period of time and I'm sure there'll be plenty of support around him in his time of need.

I also feel enormously sad for Redpath. While I've been at times critical of his play he has been a great figure for our club for several years now, and is undoubtedly a fantastic story. To come back from two knee reconstructions in your teens, come through the rookie draft then make an impact in a good side as a key forward from a country town nobody's ever heard of is practically unheard of. The improvement we've seen in him since day one (where his body looked more like that of a professional bodybuilder than a footballer) is truly extraordinary and takes an enormous amount of work and a great attitude. A third knee reconstruction at almost 26 is a big deal and would be a lot for him to deal with, particularly given that he has only ever signed one-year contracts throughout his career. I hope to see him back better than ever.

I wish them both all the best and look forward to them being back playing good footy in time for the '17 Grand Final.

I went to the same school as a young bloke who played 33 games for St Kilda between 1991 and 1994 and then was delisted and played local footy where he was on around 3-4K a game. He suffered a similar leg break which lead to amputation of the leg just above the ankle. I met him years later in my job and he told me about it as we talked about school football.
That's Dean Greig, he suffered compartment syndrome.

Good player, had 39 touches on debut against the Blues. :thumbsu:

Larkins was wrong. Young (Mitch's surgeon ) said it'd be more than 12 months before he comes back in any meaningful way.
I heard the Larkins assessment and thought it was glib and irresponsible.
Breaks like these are complex with uncertain outcomes.
Larkins was talking out of his #### . He knows nothing of the particularities.
Not good 3AW / Larkins.

Listened to this about what happened in the rooms after the game. I was in tears.

h t t p s ://soundcloud.com/abc_grandstand/afl-rd-18-tim-hodges-describes-the-gut-wrenching-scenes-in-the-bulldogs-rooms-with-the-injury-to-mitch-wallis

(Remove the spaces yourself. BF forums don't do links well)
Thanks, but I didn't want to share it. Didn't want my Doggie barracking boys to hear it, either. Very distressing, especially to hear even Murph was openly weeping.
But this isn't our last chance year.
Please, please let us win a GF with Mitch, Murph and big Jack in the team.

I can't begin to imagine how much he would be hurting right now

A combination of morphine and ketamine infusion will be taking care of that for now.. ;)

Last edited:

Looks like surgery went well. Hopefully it's a speedy recovery without complication, he's the type of guy who defines a footy club.

The bottom of that reads...
Successful surgery!! Humbled by the support and messages... #I'll be back :thumbsu: go dogs.

My footy hating wife sent me that image haha.

Hoping that he makes a good recovery & doesn't have any complications or setbacks. He is a model professional, I'm sure he rehab as you're meant to & he will get back to playing.

Wallis missing any part of the pre season will be a blow, let alone all of it. He's usually at the front of packs & leads by example, I remember one image I seen of him in a time trial/fitness test grabbing a young player by the shirt & dragging him along with him, he will be missed in that environment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope he comes back bigger, better, stronger, fitter and a key to more success. Always happens to the best blokes. Get well soon Mitch :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Young now says 9 months for Wallis after successful surgery

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-...turn-within-nine-months-from-horror-leg-break

WESTERN Bulldogs midfielder Mitch Wallis could return within nine months after undergoing successful surgery to repair his broken left leg on Sunday.

Wallis, who broke both his left tibia and fibula bones in Saturday's loss to St Kilda, underwent surgery at the Avenue Hospital in Melbourne on Sunday afternoon and had the injury plated by surgeon David Young.

Young was optimistic about Wallis's recovery prospects when contacted byAFL.com.auon Monday afternoon.

The leading orthopaedic surgeon had earlier forecast a 12-month recovery for the midfielder, telling Triple M on Sunday that was a realistic timeframe.

He now believed that could be reduced to inside nine months after a successful operation.

Young said the injury was identical to that suffered by teammate Jake Stringer when the Bulldogs forward was playing in the TAC Cup prior to being drafted.

I sit right next to the race, and Wallis was screaming and cursing something fierce (can you blame him?) when the stretcher brought him past. Was sickening and horrible to see and hear.

The curse of the father sons, Liberatore Snr does his knee, Liberatore Jnr does his knee, Wallis Snr breaks his leg in his first season, Wallis Jnr breaks his leg.

Hopefully Hunter and Cordy are checking their fathers injury records

Both Mitch and Jack are class individuals. They have strong families who, with the rest of the bulldog and AFL supporters will provide whatever these boys need to get back on the field.
I don't mind if we don't see them till finals time 2017. Imagine the boost they will give then.

I heard the Larkins assessment and thought it was glib and irresponsible.
Breaks like these are complex with uncertain outcomes.
Larkins was talking out of his #### . He knows nothing of the particularities.
Not good 3AW / Larkins.
Agree, Larkins is exactly like Dr Nick off the Simpsons. He knows *-all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back